No rating

Big Hollow Primary School

Public | PK-2 | 614 students

Posted March 6, 2014

This school is below average. Office lady's are very unfriendly and never greed anyone, they always seem to be in a bad mood. I have witnessed one morning how a girl came to the office and was saying that she is not feeling good and want to see a school nurse, and the office lady told her " Why did you come to school if you feel sick". When i drop off my child in the morning and greed them with Good morning , they never reply, they just ignore me. They are also very unorganized. Teachers are average, some are much better then others. Recess time at this school is "tv time" kids have to sit quiet and watch movie everyday for recess instead off running, playing and just burning their energy. Lunch is very short, kids don't get enough time to finish their food. Also the school seem to always have problems with their bathrooms and plumbing, kids have to go and use the bathrooms at elementary of middle school buildings. I would love for my child to go to a different school, but due to a real-estate value, we are not able to sell our house at this time. People that work in this school do not have passion for kids.

Posted June 9, 2013

My daughter has attended K and 1st grade here, and I couldn't have been happier with everything. She had excellent teachers both years, and has come a long way academically.

Posted October 17, 2012

The teachers are about average, some much better than others. Those that live locally have a much better approach to the kids, as they seem to have a vested interest in the success of the school. The new Superintendent does not have a proven track record here yet. There have been some strange financial dealings over the past few years, including convincing the public to approve the development of the new buildings based on the sale of the old buildings and land, which never materialized. I had arranged for some nice computers to be donated, enough to outfit every classroom, and offered to do the installation for free. I was told NO because they were in the middle of a referendum vote and if people found out they had computers they might not be so apt to vote yes. The school rating is slippnig a bit, it used to be above average in the County now I believe it's about average.

Posted July 8, 2012

We had a great experience at Big Hollow. Phenomenal teachers (we loved Mrs. Leginski and Mrs. Alberts) and great programs for the kids (even musicals for the primary and elementary students, great scout program, and great parent involvement)

Posted November 6, 2011

Teachers are to assist You in teaching your child. You are responsible for educating your child. Don't lay all the responsibility on the teachers. Don't be lazy... Pick up a book, and read with your child.

Posted May 24, 2010

We were very nervous about Big Hollow going into the school year, but our daughter's experience has been fantastic!! Her teacher is wonderful and there have been many fun programs throughout the year. KUDOS to all at Big Hollow!!!!!

Posted January 2, 2010

Great School. My child is learning a lot and has individualized lessons.

Posted October 15, 2009

Big Hollow is great! Kids are having a great time and the teachers are terrific!

Posted June 1, 2008

I thought the Kindergarden program was great! My son has learned so much and was eager to do so, even at home. He is definetly looking forward to next year! I have high hopes for Big Hollow since the referendum has past.

Posted January 3, 2008

Big Hollow School defintly has some problems. Because of financial woes they have had to cut teachers, special programs like music and art, and bussing has been affected. Class size is huge! Way above state norms at 27-30+ students in each room. The teachers are so over-worked and are in desperate need of planning time and parental help to run the classrooms. I applaud their efforts!

Posted October 4, 2007

The teachers go above and beyond. They certainly do not get paid enough for all that they do!

Posted July 8, 2007

This school has great teachers! I wish the parents would be more involved in what is going on at the school instead of waiting until the school is having financial troubles!

Posted July 7, 2007

This school has gross mismanagement. The teachers are fantastic, however this school is in serious financial trouble.

Posted April 19, 2007

My daughter has been a student at Big Hollow School since she was five years old. I have been impressed by the school since day one and still continue to be. She truly enjoys going to school and I appreciate the confidence and creativity they have instilled in her. The principal is extremely kind and greets the children every morning. The teachers enjoy what they do and try their best to bring out the best in each and every child.

Posted February 15, 2006

Unbalanced ciriculum, lacking focus on mathematics. Far too much time spent on 'feeling good' and too little on academics. The district as a whole complains far too much about lack of money. Another example of administrators being focused on public perception, as opposed to fogusing on the real world issues, such as a well balanced education. Example: my child comes home with an assignment, and doesn't know the meanings of words she is to use in sentences. I would have to give big hollow a d- for an overall grade. She learns more about words and their definitions at home than at school. I am her parent, not her teacher.It is the teachers' responsibility to teach, just as it is my responsibilty to be a parent.

Posted April 27, 2005

The district is rapidly growing, classes are overcrowded and it will only get worse. There seems to be a severe lack in future planning. We have been pleased with the teachers, but there are many challenges left to be adressed and the administration leaves much to be desired. Safety is a joke. We desperately miss our former top rated district.

Posted October 14, 2004

My children have attended Big Hollow for 2 years now, and I must say I am very impressed with the staff dedication to student success. The principal is a gem, she takes the time to get to know the students, well behaved and not so well behaved, so that they all know her in a positive light. I only hope my children will continue in the Big Hollow School system their whole school careers!

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 4%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

33335 North Fish Lake Road