No rating

Holy Family Catholic Academy

Private | PK-4 | 450 students

Living in Inverness

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $253,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,060.

Sweep tile

Posted March 31, 2014

This school administration system is the worst I have ever experienced. It is totally biased and meant only for the Church members. I will not recommend this school to anyone. Every parent wants to volunteer the teacher, so that they can take charge of the teacher and the kids. It's a shame how this school administration runs..!! I will never enroll my other kids in this school.

Posted January 18, 2013

I've been going to HFCA since I was in pre-school. One thing that really stands out to me is the atmosphere and the high expectations that our teachers have for us . Now a middle schooler, I have experienced the ups and downs of an ever growing, still developing Catholic school and I have to say that with each year brings new and innovative changes. For example, as I entered middle school this year I walked into the testing of a whole new middle school program that gave us (students) more freedom and a new schedule that resembled more of a high school schedule. The program introduced the utilization of the entire building and a brilliant disregard of a single classroom elementary learning technique. There are 4 groups of about 20 students each (there are approximately 80 kids in middle school this year) whose schedules all varied depending on grade level, academic ability, and the healthy balance between boys and girls. The program has worked so well and, I believe, was a great way to set a new beginning for me, especially since I am now the oldest/only child attending HFCA in my family. My sister graduated last year with a spectacular base for her high school years. I love HF.

Posted December 9, 2012

There were many aspects of HFCA my children enjoyed. HFCA is on the right track with curriculum and helping students develop spiritually. They are leading the way for catholic education. However, there is much work to be done in regards to promoting positive student behavior and using positive classroom management techniques by some of the teachers. We were surprised that behavior piece was lacking....as it was one of the reasons we chose a catholic school. Hope improvements continue to be made in the areas of social and emotional development for students.

Posted August 5, 2012

I have seen my child grow and blossom at HFCA even more than I ever thought possible. My child is excited about going to school. The reading program is vibrant and interesting while their inquiry science and social studies encourages the students to go home and learn information on their own to contribute to the class (which my daughter has done!) I'm curious if the previous post by a parent was well thought out. No, they do not have a computer lab, but my daughter had 10 computers in her fourth grade classroom and used them on a daily basis. She typed business buddy letters, researched, learned programs, reviewed concepts, used it as a check out system for the classroom library, and so much more! Could almost any of that be possible if the school had a computer lab down the hall instead of in the room? The teachers are amazing and want to do anything to see your child succeed. The only downside I see now is there's a bit of "parent gossip" that's difficult to stay out of. It's not a reflection on the school, however, more on select parents. I hope the schools starts some parent education programs. Maybe it will cut down on all the high school chatter made by some.

Posted July 30, 2012

I cannot believe this school received a technology award when they do not even have a computer lab! Primary and Early Childhood students do not attend computer class or learn technology skills in a school setting until they reach third and fourth grades! The administration is completely biased and unprofessional. I would not recommend this school to anyone! It is not the innovative, nurturing place it claims to be.

Posted June 4, 2012

It is with great sadness that I will be leaving HFCA to head to NC. While I have 20 years of experience, I have only been at HFCA for the last two, and they have been the best years of my career. I have never seen such dedication, innovation, and genuine care for each child that I have seen here at HFCA. When I came to HFCA from an award winning Blue Ribbon school, I thought I had the best of the best in teaching practices under my belt. I couldn t have been more wrong. Learning how to incorporate Inquiry Based Learning into my classroom is by far the most motivating and successful way to teach. I have never had students so engaged in their learning and teaching has never been more rewarding. Thanks for broadening my teaching horizons and for being so welcoming and nurturing!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 3, 2012

Holy Family Catholic Academy is a wonderful place. I have 2 children currently attending with another to follow soon. The teachers at Holy Family truly care about not only the academic success of their students but also their spiritual growth. The teaching methods are research based and first rate, which keeps the students engaged and excited about learning. The small class size is highly desirable, 20:2 student: teacher ratio is unheard of in today s public schools!! It allows for individualized learning done by qualified teachers. The teachers have always been receptive to inquiries regarding my children s learning. I feel like Holy Family is a place where parents are invested in their children s education, and work as a team with school staff to ensure that it maintains a level of excellence unmatched by surrounding schools. I could have sent my children to my local public school; their education would have been fine . I wanted better then fine , that is why my children attend Holy Family.

Posted June 2, 2012

I just attended my son's 8th grade graduation ceremony from HFCA. Each graduate spoke. I was not only impressed by their composure in addressing a large audience, but more importantly with the content of their comments. Of course, there were references to great friends that they've made along the way, but never would I have expected 8th graders to be able to articulate the quality of their education. Almost without exception, these kids mentioned their appreciation for their wonderful teachers who use 21st century methods to teach. Inquiry based learning, differentiated instruction, integrated technology and Christian values were highlighted in these student's speeches. Sending kids to a private school is a sacrifice, but seeing these kids appreciate their excellent teachers and knowing they are really prepared to succeed in high school and beyond is priceless!

Posted June 2, 2012

We have recently transferred to Holy Family Catholic Academy and we can't say enough great things about it. We were welcomed with open arms from the teachers/staff/administration/students and all of the families. I finally feel that I am home! The teachers and the administration are constantly communicating with the parents to keep us in the loop. My children are receiving an education that goes far beyond what is in a text book. They are learning to be critical thinkers and to think outside of the box. They are motivated and excited to share what they are learning and appreciate the opinions and ideas of others. Their faith has become so much stronger as well. The teachers have the resources necessary to address each child's needs, which allows them to reach their potential each and everyday. We are so thankful to have found Holy Family Catholic Academy!

Posted June 2, 2012

Our family transferred to Holy Family Catholic Academy this past year from another Catholic school and we have NOT been disappointed. Where to begin...2 full time teaching staff in every classroom allows every child to work at their own level, even if the work is a whole grade level higher! HFCA was a national Winner of the Catholic Schools of Tomorrow Award for Innovators in Education. Only 2 Catholic schools out of the entire country were recognized for their academic program and HFCA was one of them. The school's distinguished "Inquiry Learning" approach to education is magnificent. It allows a student to traverse between multiple subjects to complete a project. It is totally real world based work that the kids can use for a lifetime. Lastly, we have finally found a progressive Catholic school where the pastor is genuinely interested in our children. Whether it is on the basketball court with the kids, or in church at our weekly masses, Father Terry is totally invested in the students. What a school!!

Posted February 15, 2012

My daughter is a graduate and is currently excelling both academically (in honors classes) and socially at her high school due to the preparation she received at the Academy. She is self-motivated, responsible and makes good peer related decisions. There are number of factors that the Academy provides that I attribute to her achievements: high expectations, qualified teachers who take an interest in the success of each student, a challenging yet engaging curriculum, and a variety of extra-curricular and enrichment programs that wholistically develop students' interests. I have not experienced another school that does so much so well.

Posted February 3, 2012

The old saying "if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is" definitely applies. They advertise "supportive and nurturing" classrooms, yet there is "old school" yelling and shaming going on in this building. The academics promised differentiation which is not happening. Some of the teachers are great, but there are enough bad apples in this bunch to outweigh the talent that they have. Keep looking is my advice- this has been an expensive dissapointment.

Posted August 21, 2011

After the staff convinced my husband and I that HFCA was the best school out there, we enrolled our child. However, 2 days before the school year was to start the teacher/principal decided that they could not meet my childs needs and denied my child admittance. Mind you, this was after a 15 minute assessment by the teacher and principal with out my consent. They had the nerve to have a conversation about my child in a busy hallway in front of my child. For a school that boost a caring environment it was anything but!

Posted March 22, 2011

After a lenghty search for the right school for my child, I was excited when we chose HFCA. After several conversations regarding my concerns with my child's learning, the staff was confident that they could and would challenge my child and that one-on-one learning was available if/when needed. Everything sounded great when they promote the school, but I didn't see the follow through or committment when the school decided that my child wasn't a fit after attending 5 months and was forced out of the school.

Posted March 8, 2010

My son is a second grader at Holy Family Catholic Academy. His growth academically and socially this year has amazed me. He is excited every morning to go to school and when I meet him at the end of the day he is eager to share the events of the day. The communication with his teacher has been wonderful- emails and calls are answered promptly. I have met so many wonderful families at this school- we are proud to be part of the Holy Family Catholic Academy family.

Posted January 31, 2010

My daughter just started 1st grade at Holy Family this year and my son is in Pre-K. We were at another, more traditional Catholic School prior to moving our children to Holy Family. Wow! What a difference! Our world is changing at a much faster pace than when we were kids and our children need to be prepared for their 'new' world. Holy Family Catholic Academy's innovative approach to education teaches our children skills for THEIR future. Inquiry based learning and differentiated instruction allow each child to be challenged to the best of THEIR abilities and a faith filled community to boot! Who could ask for more? The energy, passion and excitement at this school, from the top down, is wonderful and infectious! I am so happy to be a part of this school, a school that fits the box to the child, not all children to one box.

Posted June 23, 2009

Holy Family offers faith-based, inquiry learning from 2 year old preschool through 8th grade. My children have attended since preschool and I have been more than pleased with it!

Posted March 4, 2008

My son has attended Holy Family Catholic Academy since 3 year old preschool. As older parents of an only child, we were more discerning in choosing where to send him. We believe the element of faith that mirrors Holy Family Parish's teachings as well as the outstanding academic curriculum brings together all we could hope for in an education for our child. From our principal down to the enthusiastic, creative teachers and teaching assistants, my son is nutured as he is prepared for life as an adult. They speak to all levels of learners, my son is a gifted student and they allow him to be challenged and not be bored. On the other hand, students who need more help are not left behind. They have Spanish from Kindergarten on, art and music, including band and the inquiry learning that is so integral to the curriculum keeps everyone excited about learning!

Posted March 4, 2008

Holy Family is not your mother's Catholic School. Its innovative curriculum and low student-teacher ratio really teaches students to think, not just study for the test! Itnnnnuturing environ nurturing environment

Posted March 4, 2008

My two children have been at the Academy for five years now. I can not say enough great things with our experience here. The best thing is absolutely the teachers. They are very up to date on latest research, kind, patient and very dedicated. My son has always been shy and very reserved, the teachers have been instramental in helping him not only come out of his shell but also bloom. They practice inquiry based learning and instill a thought process of global visions. We love for people to come visit the school because we are all so proud.

Asian 9% N/A
Two or more races 7% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:45
School end time
  • 3:30
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Dr. Gretchen Ludwig
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Chicago