Joliet Central High School

Public | 9-12

Posted April 2, 2014

Is a diverse learning community providing relevancy and rigor in instruction and promoting positive experiences and exposures for our students.

Posted January 1, 2013

This school has great deans and staff that help the students achieve more in the community. Another thing that makes this school a great school is that we have a wide variety of diversity... and we all get along. The Bad Incidents: SOME security guards can be overwhelming when confronting students. I've personally experienced harassment by a teacher BUT our deans and principal helped me with situations like this. They have helped me and my peers with incidents you see at any school. The staff really does care about us and how we learn and do more than they are supposed to to make sure we get far. There is a numerous amount of teachers who stay after when they aren't required to and you can feel how determined they are to helping us achieve. Central is a 5 in my opinion. Go Steelmen!

Posted November 10, 2010

This is my senior Year (CLASS OF 2011!!) I moved from chicago which i have lived in my whole life, to this school. I was scared at first because i didnt know anyone and as you can tell this school is huge, but the students and teachers got me involved in alot of activities. The teachers here care about the students, not only their jobs. I am really happy with this school and how they treat us. They get us ready for the real world. All the teachers know what they are doing. There is alot of mixed ethnicities at this school. I am proud i will be a Steelmen my whole life. GO STEELMEN!!! CLASS OF 2011!!

Posted January 30, 2010

Having my child in a private school for 9 years, I was a little hesitant to send my child to Joliet Central. But with the 1st semester behind us, I can truly say I am proud to be a steelman parent. My child is in all the honor classes and involved in sports. He enjoys his school day. The teachers are very dedicated and committed to learning and seem to enjoy their students. I,m impressed with the communication between parents and teachers. I was afraid with the large student body, that it would be difficult to stay involved in my child's education, but that was not the case!

Posted January 29, 2010

I attended Joliet Central for 4 years. I scored a 29 on my ACT, currently attend the University of Illinois, and I am just as well off academically as other students from any other school. As with all schools, Central has it's problems. State test scores show that we tested poorly, and unfortunately at Central, there are a lot of students that don't care about their education. But that doesn't matter, because a student will get out of high school what they're willing to put in. The teachers I had in the honors program are great, and they are some of the best, motivated teachers I have ever met or heard of. All graduates have had different experiences there, but I can say with near 100% certainty that all of us who have moved on to bigger and better things will agree with most of what I have just stated.

Posted June 2, 2009

This a really great school to go to. The teachers are great some of the kids are cool. It helps you get prepaired for college. GO STEELMEN

Posted March 1, 2009

This school is run on rules not education. It is a joke! Do not sent your children here they will struggle in college. As for diversity, yes has alot of blacks and mexicans, and whites. The impression I got from those groups was disgraceful. I hope to god that is not how it is in the real world! Please don't send your children here! For there own sake....

Posted April 6, 2006

Joliet Central has a lot to offer academically, but I think its greatest strength is the diversity. We have students of so many different cultures, and so many different ability levels and disabilities, that any student who attends here is much better prepared for 'the real world' than those students who attend schools that tend to be all white, or that are more aimed at college prep.

Posted February 18, 2006

i go to JTHS Central and I love it there! the teachers are all highly qualified, it's a landmark, and i'm walking through history every time i walk into that school. the music program there is excellent! there is a class in that huge school to meet every student's want and need. they send letters home when needed, but parent involvement could be a bit better. all in all, i love my school and there's nothing anyone can do to change that.

Posted September 14, 2004

Test scores? Children are apathetic at this age to testing unless it involves some sort of personal gain. This is hands down the most excellent school I have ever observed at, attended, or sent my children to. The racial/ethnic mix is very condusive to learning. For the person who graded the school so low based on cleanliness, a teacher's job is to teach not enforce petty rules. The only thing that this school is lacking is parental support and involvement, which it needs. If parents care, students tend to care.

Posted August 24, 2004

I went to JT for three years, then I moved to Oklahoma. I love JT more than anything, and I miss it more than anyone will know. So what if the test scores aren't that good? That doesn't mean that the school isn't teaching us, it just means that the junior class doesn't care. Don't put the blame on the whole school for something that a couple of kids do. I don't see anyone complaining about West, which isn't fair. And plenty of kids care about Central. Central would be a better school if we got some funding now and then. Everything goes to West, which isn't fair at all. Get more involved!

Posted July 6, 2004

I am recent graduate of Joliet Central and I think that its is a fantastic school! There are many oppertunities there for students to take advantage of. The school is very diverse. You don't get that from most schools. It also has rich tradition, history, and alot of school spirit. I was accepted to every college I applied to because of that great education I received there. I am so glad that I had the oppertunity to go there. I couldn't imagine going to any other high school!

Posted June 4, 2004

A lot more needs to be done about the cleanliness of the school. Teachers, this falls on you. Students need more enforcement on this issue. Also, more individual teaching for our learning disability students. What happened to no gum chewing in school. We need to take better care of a historic building like Central. Central can look that good. When the staff shows the students they care, then they will care, and have more pride in their school. Thank you.

Posted September 4, 2003

I attended this school for three and half semesters. This school is not to bad for the students, but I would not want to send my kids here (if I had some). As you can tell by the test results, it is not very academically friendly. Not the most quality education. There are too many class interuptions to deal with discipline problems. I only had three classes my senior year. This school provides you with hte bare minimum requirements.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Prairie State Achievement Examination (PSAE) to test students in grade 11 in reading, math and science. The PSAE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

Low income24%
Non-low income39%
Students without disabilities33%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

64.7%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISAT results from the state of Illinois.

2 This rating is based on composite ACT scores and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2012-13.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 4%

• John Randich

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

201 East Jefferson Street