Joliet West High School

Public | 9-12 | 2858 students

Sweep tile

Posted May 2, 2013

Joliet West grade F. sent two kids there they came from good middle schools so they scored high in grades but this school failed them. did poor in help with collage prep was told that fights and drug use is the norm for the school. dropping out was encouraged by some adults at the school. DO NOT SEND YOUR KIDs here

Posted February 5, 2013

AMAZING SCHOOL!!!!!! It is helping me prepare for college...Great teachers & Staff. I went to many other school, and this by far was my favorite.

Posted November 15, 2012

Joliet West has sure changed over the years. I'm a Junior at West and even since I was a Freshman it has changed. I give it a low rating for many reasons such as; over capacity we have over 3000 students which is unacceptable, Theres not enough gym lockers,theres a fight almost everyday I know its highschool but its ridiculous. Also Joliet picks random parts of Joliet to go to west even if you live nowhere near the school.As far as extra curricular activites go, we do have a lot of activities,however, not enough for over 3000 students.Teachers have such a bad attitude and barely teach you what is supposed to be taught.I thought by the time junior year came I would start focusing more on things like my future career like my friends from other schools but West does not help to prepare you for anything. I know its highschool and no one really likes their school, however its just not normal how much I despise this school. It is a horrible school overall. I would never put my child in this school. Ive never despised a school as much as I do with Joliet West.

Posted February 27, 2012

Joliet West is nothing compared to the other schools in the area (except Central). The Honors curriculum is bare minimum of what students need to truly succeed in a post-secondary educational setting. It has many just terrible teachers, mixed in with a few excellent ones who make the school bearable at all. For students who wish to succeed, you can. You just need to put forth a huge amount of effort on your part. As a recent graduate, I would have to say that Joliet West does not prepare you for an advanced technical field nor the workload associated with one. Yes, there are drugs. Yes, there are gangs. These cannot be avoided, but the school could definitely do a much better job at preparing its students for anything other than a job at a fast food restaurant.

Posted September 9, 2010

the coaching staff of varsity football should be ashamed of themselves! Quit playing your favorites and play some people that know how to play and win for a change! 41-0 unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted April 7, 2010

It's a really great place to be and all of the teachers are most wonderful and challenging to the students. I love it here at Joliet West!

Posted November 13, 2009

This school has many sports and activities to be get involved in. JT west has classes that can challenge and prepare students for post high school education. Counselors are much more friendlier and helpful in 2009. Most of the teachers are helpful and do a great job. This school has improved and is underated. I have had children in this school from 1999.

Posted October 20, 2009

joliet west is awesome ! great teachers and an awesome music program ! GO TIGERS !

Posted September 2, 2009

Seriously, I'm sick of people bashing this school. Everyone who goes to Minooka or JCA or Plainfield hate this school because JT has drugs, gangs and what not. First of all, drugs? Yeah, everyone school is going to have them. News Flash: JCA had one of the biggest drug busts a few years back. It's high school, get over it. There's gangs in every school if you like it or not. At West, if you stay out of trouble, then you don't get in trouble. The honors classes are nice, challenging courses with good teachers. There's nothing wrong with the school. Personally, I loved it there and it got me ready for being on my own.

Posted August 21, 2008

Joliet West isn't an entirely horrible school. If it is given a chance, it proves to be a rather nice place to learn. Although there are some 'bad kids', if you find the right friends and acquaintances, you'll never find yourself in any trouble. The Honors classes are wonderful, they really challenge eager minds. All in all, J.T. West is a great school to attend. And, by the way, Mr. Fonck, Mrs. Barrowman, and Mrs. Laugier are three of the best teachers! They should all be given a bonus.

Posted July 30, 2008

Joliet West is not a bad school. They give you all the right oppurtunities but you have to be the one who takes them. As long as your child makes the right choices they will get a great education and succeed in the future. I made the choice to be in all honors classes. I'm doing great and I'm away from all the 'trouble.' Kids don't pick fights for no reason, so think about that the next time your child gets 'threatened.' We're not in Chicago... it's Joliet.

Posted March 19, 2008

Though Joliet West isnt a great shcool, its not a bad school. The people there, for the most part, are great.If you dont involve yourself in any trouble, you wont get into any. They are trying to make this a better place, and I enjoy coming to school, for the friends. As for education, I think its decent. I mean, I am in all honors and teachers love me, so maybe thats why....Anyways. JT West: =] Also, Mr. Fonck is the best teacher ever! He deserves a raise.

Posted October 29, 2007

I love Joliet west. It is a great school and you get a good education. The teachers are very nice but can be very strict on the other hand which is a good thing. They push you because they want you to do better. I love this school more than anything and I get along great with everybody. It is not a bad school everybody says it is but you have to give it a try before you go a judge something. I mean yeah they don't everything perfect but nobody is. We are all in this together! Everybody makes a difference!

Posted December 14, 2006

I had to respond to the new rule about being tardy for class. I see no problem with it--obviously there were too many kids being late and they had to do something to encourage students to be on time for class. As far as the lanyards go, my son has forgotten his several times--it comes out of his allowance. They have to learn responsibility. The band program at Joliet West is excellent! I've dealt with the principal, asst. principal and several of my students' teachers and have always had a quick response and found them to be very helpful. Fortunately, my kids have had no problems with other students (my daughter is a junior, my son a freshman).

Posted December 6, 2006

Joliet West is turning into a prison. Our children who are good students are getting in trouble for just being a minute late. This new 'tardy sweep' is a very stupid idea. Kids who want to ditch class can easily do so by being late. The kids who want to learn and are sometimes a little slow getting to class suffer. They miss a whole period of class, just because they were running slow that morning. They sit in the auditorium for an hour and do nothing. My daughter was a door down from her class and was taken to the auditorium. This new policy upsets me and I am glad she will leaving this school.

Posted August 30, 2005

My son and two daughters graduated from this high school. The only reason my children stayed there was due to the fact I did not have the money to send all three of them to private school. Sending them to another district was even more expensive, and moving was out of the question with my dream career. Otherwise, I would have jumped at any chance to get my kids out of that hell hole. My two daughters both were harassed. One of them got her rear end grabbed by another student. The other one was pushed in the hallway for no reason. The Dean's Office did nothing. After contacting the principal, I was left with no reassurance pertaining the problem, after my voicemails were left unanswered. My son stood up and left the classroom for arguing with a teacher's political views. He was suspended for insubordiantion. I hate this school.

Posted August 10, 2005

I found out today that if our children do not, under any circumstances, wear their ID Lanyard to school, they will be fined five dollars per day. I know that almost every child will forget this once or twice, I would also like to see the revenue that is generated by this in dollar amounts per day and exactly how this school will handle this. There is a very real chance that parents are not going to be responsible and pay this fine. I agree with students carrying their IDs, not so sure that around their neck is the ideal place.

Posted April 11, 2005

I have had multiple issues with Joliet West. The teachers do not communicate with parents even if you have sent a note or left a message to be called. The teachers do not work with the students on make up homework so their grades suffer. I do not have the space to get into all of the details. I would reccomend a private school. If you are moving to the area check your district before buying. That was the mistake I made.

Posted February 16, 2005

When I attended this school, I thought it was a good school and I had a lot of fun. Now that I am a student at the University of Illinois, I realize that I was not given a great education. I am constantly trying to catch up, especially in science classes, because my peers recieved a much better education in high school. Prefessors expect us to come here with a certain amount of background, which I did not recieve at Joliet West. The teachers are woderful people, but the curriculum needs major improvement.
—Submitted by a former student

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Prairie State Achievement Examination (PSAE) to test students in grade 11 in reading, math and science. The PSAE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

Students with disabilities (IEP)13%
Students without disabilities44%
English language learners0%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

Asian 2% 4%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

• Teresa Gibson

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

401 North Larkin Avenue