Joliet West High School

Public | 9-12

Posted August 6, 2014

I have been to this school multiple times and it has always impressed me. In this day and age there is no focus on trade skills. Most everyone wants a white collar job and that's what schools are focusing on today. News flash! Blue collar trades are in high demand and all the white collar folks will pay for those skills, because they have to. Joliet West has an awesome set of programs including Industrial maintenance that is a great paying, high demand field. My daughter goes there and is enjoying everything they have to offer. As far as the JCA Drug thing goes, there were kids from several schools in the area that were involved with that including public schools, so it happens at all schools! Be a good parent and stay on top of your kids to keep them on the right path! Joliet West gives you all the opportunities that you could want. Good Job and Hats off to the staff!

Posted June 11, 2014

I feel that Joliet West High School has an excellent program, excellent teachers, and tries very hard to meet the needs of its 3300 students. Unfortunately, they do not get to pick their students and many students are more interested in not attending, not participating, and not learning. The teachers put a lot of effort into planning lessons; they have excellent technology capabilities, and volunteer for the many programs and clubs that run after school and on weekends. Every teacher there is there for the students. The facilities are well kept and clean with a new field house and cafeteria. Yes, there are occasional problems but the students that do not want to be involved in them rarely are, and all problems are dealt with quickly. I feel it is a safe environment for all students and staff and confidently sent my children to this school. I would have no problem recommending this school to local families. It is an excellent school where students have the resources to excel.

Posted June 3, 2014

I have worked at this school for 14+ years, I love it, and never thought about going anywhere else! This is a public school that does amazing things on both ends the students are greatly successful--we have students who score perfect on the ACT, attend Ivy league schools, and other top end universities annually. The overwhelming majority of the staff is fully committed to challenging those who walk through the doors! Food for thought-- The biggest school drug bust in our city's history happened at the private high school down the street a few years back- high school is what you make of it. All types opportunities are more than available here at West. It's too bad that some did not find their niche. I am also a resident and fully plan to send my son to West!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 22, 2014

Joliet West with my experience is a great High School my daughter has been in there honors program for the past 3 years and already has college credits through the AP program that west offers. I also love the communication that the teachers have with the parents on a weekly basis through emails. it helps us parents to stay on top of things. Great Job Joliet West Staff!!!!

Posted May 2, 2013

Joliet West grade F. sent two kids there they came from good middle schools so they scored high in grades but this school failed them. did poor in help with collage prep was told that fights and drug use is the norm for the school. dropping out was encouraged by some adults at the school. DO NOT SEND YOUR KIDs here

Posted February 5, 2013

AMAZING SCHOOL!!!!!! It is helping me prepare for college...Great teachers & Staff. I went to many other school, and this by far was my favorite.

Posted November 15, 2012

Joliet West has sure changed over the years. I'm a Junior at West and even since I was a Freshman it has changed. I give it a low rating for many reasons such as; over capacity we have over 3000 students which is unacceptable, Theres not enough gym lockers,theres a fight almost everyday I know its highschool but its ridiculous. Also Joliet picks random parts of Joliet to go to west even if you live nowhere near the school.As far as extra curricular activites go, we do have a lot of activities,however, not enough for over 3000 students.Teachers have such a bad attitude and barely teach you what is supposed to be taught.I thought by the time junior year came I would start focusing more on things like my future career like my friends from other schools but West does not help to prepare you for anything. I know its highschool and no one really likes their school, however its just not normal how much I despise this school. It is a horrible school overall. I would never put my child in this school. Ive never despised a school as much as I do with Joliet West.

Posted February 27, 2012

Joliet West is nothing compared to the other schools in the area (except Central). The Honors curriculum is bare minimum of what students need to truly succeed in a post-secondary educational setting. It has many just terrible teachers, mixed in with a few excellent ones who make the school bearable at all. For students who wish to succeed, you can. You just need to put forth a huge amount of effort on your part. As a recent graduate, I would have to say that Joliet West does not prepare you for an advanced technical field nor the workload associated with one. Yes, there are drugs. Yes, there are gangs. These cannot be avoided, but the school could definitely do a much better job at preparing its students for anything other than a job at a fast food restaurant.

Posted September 9, 2010

the coaching staff of varsity football should be ashamed of themselves! Quit playing your favorites and play some people that know how to play and win for a change! 41-0 unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted April 7, 2010

It's a really great place to be and all of the teachers are most wonderful and challenging to the students. I love it here at Joliet West!

Posted November 13, 2009

This school has many sports and activities to be get involved in. JT west has classes that can challenge and prepare students for post high school education. Counselors are much more friendlier and helpful in 2009. Most of the teachers are helpful and do a great job. This school has improved and is underated. I have had children in this school from 1999.

Posted October 20, 2009

joliet west is awesome ! great teachers and an awesome music program ! GO TIGERS !

Posted September 2, 2009

Seriously, I'm sick of people bashing this school. Everyone who goes to Minooka or JCA or Plainfield hate this school because JT has drugs, gangs and what not. First of all, drugs? Yeah, everyone school is going to have them. News Flash: JCA had one of the biggest drug busts a few years back. It's high school, get over it. There's gangs in every school if you like it or not. At West, if you stay out of trouble, then you don't get in trouble. The honors classes are nice, challenging courses with good teachers. There's nothing wrong with the school. Personally, I loved it there and it got me ready for being on my own.

Posted August 21, 2008

Joliet West isn't an entirely horrible school. If it is given a chance, it proves to be a rather nice place to learn. Although there are some 'bad kids', if you find the right friends and acquaintances, you'll never find yourself in any trouble. The Honors classes are wonderful, they really challenge eager minds. All in all, J.T. West is a great school to attend. And, by the way, Mr. Fonck, Mrs. Barrowman, and Mrs. Laugier are three of the best teachers! They should all be given a bonus.

Posted July 30, 2008

Joliet West is not a bad school. They give you all the right oppurtunities but you have to be the one who takes them. As long as your child makes the right choices they will get a great education and succeed in the future. I made the choice to be in all honors classes. I'm doing great and I'm away from all the 'trouble.' Kids don't pick fights for no reason, so think about that the next time your child gets 'threatened.' We're not in Chicago... it's Joliet.

Posted March 19, 2008

Though Joliet West isnt a great shcool, its not a bad school. The people there, for the most part, are great.If you dont involve yourself in any trouble, you wont get into any. They are trying to make this a better place, and I enjoy coming to school, for the friends. As for education, I think its decent. I mean, I am in all honors and teachers love me, so maybe thats why....Anyways. JT West: =] Also, Mr. Fonck is the best teacher ever! He deserves a raise.

Posted October 29, 2007

I love Joliet west. It is a great school and you get a good education. The teachers are very nice but can be very strict on the other hand which is a good thing. They push you because they want you to do better. I love this school more than anything and I get along great with everybody. It is not a bad school everybody says it is but you have to give it a try before you go a judge something. I mean yeah they don't everything perfect but nobody is. We are all in this together! Everybody makes a difference!

Posted December 14, 2006

I had to respond to the new rule about being tardy for class. I see no problem with it--obviously there were too many kids being late and they had to do something to encourage students to be on time for class. As far as the lanyards go, my son has forgotten his several times--it comes out of his allowance. They have to learn responsibility. The band program at Joliet West is excellent! I've dealt with the principal, asst. principal and several of my students' teachers and have always had a quick response and found them to be very helpful. Fortunately, my kids have had no problems with other students (my daughter is a junior, my son a freshman).

Posted December 6, 2006

Joliet West is turning into a prison. Our children who are good students are getting in trouble for just being a minute late. This new 'tardy sweep' is a very stupid idea. Kids who want to ditch class can easily do so by being late. The kids who want to learn and are sometimes a little slow getting to class suffer. They miss a whole period of class, just because they were running slow that morning. They sit in the auditorium for an hour and do nothing. My daughter was a door down from her class and was taken to the auditorium. This new policy upsets me and I am glad she will leaving this school.

Posted August 30, 2005

My son and two daughters graduated from this high school. The only reason my children stayed there was due to the fact I did not have the money to send all three of them to private school. Sending them to another district was even more expensive, and moving was out of the question with my dream career. Otherwise, I would have jumped at any chance to get my kids out of that hell hole. My two daughters both were harassed. One of them got her rear end grabbed by another student. The other one was pushed in the hallway for no reason. The Dean's Office did nothing. After contacting the principal, I was left with no reassurance pertaining the problem, after my voicemails were left unanswered. My son stood up and left the classroom for arguing with a teacher's political views. He was suspended for insubordiantion. I hate this school.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Prairie State Achievement Examination (PSAE) to test students in grade 11 in reading, math and science. The PSAE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

Students with disabilities (IEP)13%
Students without disabilities44%
English language learners0%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

80.6%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISAT results from the state of Illinois.

2 This rating is based on composite ACT scores and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2012-13.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 4%

• Teresa Gibson

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

401 North Larkin Avenue