No rating

St Paul The Apostle School

Private | PK-8 | 400 students

We are best known for accelerated academics.

Living in Joliet

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $110,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $830.

Posted February 15, 2014

We've had a great experience at St. Paul The Apostle. The teachers are very caring and academically challenging, giving our children an enriching education. They also teach about Christian values which is very important to us as well.

Posted January 23, 2014

St Paul does a wonderful job incorporating Catholicism into all aspects of their curriculum. We feel that our children are safe here while also receiving a well-rounded education.

Posted December 16, 2013

We transferred to St. Paul after having our children in public school, one for 5 years and one for 1 full year, and 2 years of preschool. I could not be happier with our decision. Our oldest has been challenged and is excelling. Our youngest, we thought was reading at grade level according to the public school - was not. After only 3.5 months our youngest is now reading at grade level. Not only are the academics satisfying our children's needs, but the faith based education is teaching our children far more about community and respect than the public school could ever do. St. Paul is helping reiterate what we teach in our home. This has been the best move for my children and we are extremely happy with our decision.

Posted August 30, 2013

I wanted my son to have an excellent education, in a Catholic setting. I have nothing but great things to say! The teachers put in great effort, my son loves it! The principle is doing a fantastic job, and if you take the time to get to know other parents, you'll build upon the Catholic family foundation. I love it!

Posted February 21, 2013

I agree with the last several posts. The principal has no clue on how to run a school or to interact with children. She has a personality of a lump of coal. She puts all her energy in making sure that the sports teams make #1 than worrying about those children that need help academically. They say that they are above average in grades when in fact most of the kids have to get some form of outside tutoring. And if your child has a learning disability she would much rather not even have them in the school. The parents are snobs and have taught their children to be snobs!! There is no christian values be taught by this school. So, if you are looking to send your child here think again, it may not be the place for you.

Posted October 29, 2012

This school is absolutely horrible. Please save your money and NEVER send your child there. The parents & kids are very cliky and down right mean people. Everything is about status not education.. My child is so behind in school from going there only 3 years. The principal is just as bad as the parents she is so gossipy and rude. The best decision I ever made was taking my child out of that awful school. I never what my children to act like the kids , parents or teachers that go there.

Posted October 5, 2012

Run! The principal is running a formally great school into the ground! The teachers are nice and have good intentions but have to tip toe around a crazy principal. The pastor really does not care about the school and lets her run amok. She will cater to certain families, doesn't even say 'Hi' to some parents, and lets some get away with anything. It is sad! Even if a parent is super involved in the school, she will totally ignore you. The education is lacking, is some areas. My child was way behind in math then I transferred to another school. And there are tons of St Paul kids go to tutoring to keep at the right pace!

Posted May 31, 2012

I was promised that my child with ADD would be able to have her educational needs met. They were not. I was also berated for demanding that teachers there follow best practices, which most of the time were not. It is certainly not a "Catholic" school if by definition, it you would expect it to be "universal". The only students who thrive here are those whose children can stand to do worksheet after worksheet and listen to a daily does of guilt for not trying hard enough while the teachers are supported in their mediocrity. Run. Fast.

Posted July 25, 2011

My child attended St. Paul for 4 years and each year was more disappointing than the last. No parent with even the slightest bit of education can say this school is strong academically. On a good day it is mediocre. Of course the kids all think it's a great school, 70% of every academic class is spent in 'free time'. What kid wouldn't love that kind of 'class'? After 4 years I realized that the parents who 'love' this school are those that believe it is somehow a 'boost' to their own social status to have a child attending. Faculty teeters on encouraging bullying by passively taking part in the humiliation and disdain of the bullied students. Parents willing to subject their child to an inferior education for the privilege of saying they send them to a private school will LOVE St. Paul. Parents who want their children to receive a good education in a welcoming environment will head elsewhere.

Posted August 26, 2010

I am a recent graduate of St. Paul's (2008) and enjoyed the fantastic education I received there since preschool. The teachers are wonderful and it was a fun learning experience. I now attend Joliet Catholic Academy and am in all honors classes and am even taking an Advanced Placement college level History class. I owe all my successes to St. Paul's which built my wonderful foundation. The Catholic atmosphere helped me grow in my faith. I continue my faith life at St. Paul's through the outstanding Youth Ministry program. Overall, I would highly recommend an education at St. Paul the Apostle. It is a great foundation for future success!

Posted August 25, 2010

The school is filled with teachers who do a wonderful job and care about the students. The new principal, Mrs. Robbins, is a welcome addition. The quality of the education is excellent. Also, our children are being edcated with strong Catholic morals and values.

Posted August 22, 2010

I am impressed with the academic emphasis as well as the value the leadership and faculty places on the student. Parents are truly partners in their childs education.

Posted April 22, 2010

My family was apart of St. Paul's for 4 years and unfortunately we had some issues that jeporadized the safety of our children. The principal and pastor at the time did not seem to be concerned for the well being of our children and as a family we found a new catholic school to attend and we are very happy now.

Posted July 18, 2008

St. Pauls' is a good school, but more and more lately there seems to be less focus on discipline. We send our children to catholc school for the discipline. Also, sports are pushed way too much. Academically th school is great, but I would like it to be be more focused on the academics. So today I will only give it 3 stars.

Posted January 28, 2006

This school is the best school I have ever gone to, if I was principle I wouldnt change a thing, the teachers are awesome and give me the amount of attention I need. The principle is another story, she is the greatest ever, she has done so much for the school it is unbelievable. Uh, there isnt much more to say except it is a great school and I am for sure sending my kids there.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 27, 2004

St. Paul's is back on the right track. The old principal, though very good with the students, let the teachers run amok. The new principal has them under control and has been much more selective in her new hires. She is responsive to parents' concerns, but has managed to stay firm with a lot of the naggers. The new pastor is equally enthused about pumping money into the school and we are very proud of the new computer lab, library, art and music rooms, and the new kindergarten rooms. It also helps that he has encouraged a 2-class per grade philosophy. My daughter loves St. Paul and I wouldn't send her anywhere else.

Posted September 17, 2004

The new principal and pastor have definitely turned things around quickly. A string of bad hires by the old principal and apathy by the old pastor were causing problems but things are now headed back in the right direction. Physical improvements have helped as well.

Posted August 13, 2004

Our children (2) attend the school and we love it. The current principal is doing a fantastic job of retaining teachers and bringing in quality new teachers. The school has had a number of capitol improvements in the past two years and the pastor and school board have been responsive to any issues that parents bring up. We love St. Paul's!

Posted September 16, 2003

Saint Paul's used to be a top level grade school in this area. However, in the past few years the school had a new principal that negatively changed the school. The teacher turnover has been very high and I really do not think most of the teachers that have been hired are very good at all. However, there is a new principal this year and there are still some great teachers left that compensate (and make it worth it) for the inadequacies of the new teachers. Saint Paul's has wonderful facilities. Their computer lab is beautiful and there is a fabulous gym. Overall, the school has great potential but the academics are suffering greatly due to the recent hiring of some very poor teachers. Hopefully, this will be addressed by the new principal.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 4%

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Accelerated credit learning
  • Honors track

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Mary K Robbins
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Honors track
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Chapel/spiritual reflection center
  • Computer
  • Gym
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Joliet

Music
  • Band
  • Choir / Chorus

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student newspaper

Apply now

What does it cost?

Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Joliet Catholic Academy