Kenilworth, IL

The Joseph Sears School 1

Posted January 14, 2015
As I student over the years the school has just become more unfair and more unfair As the new principal has arrived I have felt that her large amount of changes to the schools policy have been way to aggresive and have angered many. I find it very unfair that we have not have a say in any decisions being made, we should have the right to. I feel that the new rule in not allowing kids to go into a certain teachers room during lunch period is unfair to him and us. It should not be the administrations job to do that. I find it unfair that she has changed so much about the culture of our school and I am very exicted to finnaly almost be on my way to high school.

The Joseph Sears School 4

Posted May 15, 2014
As a student at sears, the new junior High science curriculum and program is highly lacking as is the math program. Very few kids make the high school level math program (infact nobody in my grade did) and the students in red math feel significantly under prepared for high school. In our science class this year we are learning things that the majority of us knew before junior high, such as photo synthesis and and cellular respiration (When I heard we were doing biochemistry I was excited until I learned that we would be spending two months learning what cellular respiration is which could have been taught in a week tops). However the 8th grade social studies teacher is great and I have probably learned more in his class than all my other history and social studies classes before this combined. We have deep and meaningful discussions and I have learned a lot about how to write a good essay and how to properly use quotes in papers. I have also learned a lot and read some great literature in the language art program at sears which is great.

Posted February 17, 2012
We have moved many time over the years, including overseas, and Sears is by far the best school our children have attended. It is not only the teachers, administration and curriculum that make for such a unique and rich experience for our children, but the entire community. It really does take a village, and in Kenilworth and at Joseph Sears, we are fortunate to have a community that truly looks out for, and nurtures, each child.

Posted April 27, 2010
I validate the 9/11/09 post and last year Sears had a few issues that adminstration and school board took very seriously as appropriate and due to all the end of the year parent survey feedback. This year policies are adhered to more strongly and faculty disclosed more empowerment to do theire jobs even better under new stellar qulity and simple but consistent and true leadership of new principal Dr Powers. Dr. Kalinich is an exceptional magician of a superintendant with graceful skills of managing this exceptional public school almost like a private one, with all the public perks. There is much praise for the studious work of Student Services Director, Dr Noell , that empowers her teams of professional to accomodate learning needs across the spectrum ( although the parents with super gifted students seem to always want more and more). The dedicated PVA/PTA 's work provides enrichment beyond comparison.

Posted October 20, 2009
As a former student at Sears, I can say with ease that it gave my classmates and I a significant advantage at New Trier High School over other students from various other schools in the area.

Posted September 15, 2009
I can't imagine a better school experience for my children. This is a great school!

The Joseph Sears School 4

Posted September 13, 2009
Sears is an awesome school! The Village of Kenilworth is a tight knit community and Sears is the pulse. There is a lot of parent involvement both of time and money, which is the KEY to the success of a Public School. Yes, there is always room for improvement but overall you are hard pressed to find a better school on the North Shore or Chicago-land area.

Posted September 10, 2009
This school provides a top-level education in a private-like setting. With less than 600 students and grades pre-K through 8th grade at one location, the whole community supports and participates in school and related activities. I have had two children recently go all the way through school at Sears (they are now in high school). Both received a quality education and tools for success in high school and life. Yes, there have been isolated incidents involving cliques, bullying and entitled parents which get alot of notice because it is such a small community. These problems are everywhere. In my experience, they are related issues as the bullies have parents who won't acknowledge the truth. The school has reacted appropriately to these situations. Anyone considering moving to the North Shore must look at this school and the village of Kenilworth. Your children will have the best in education, sports, and community spirit.'

Posted October 23, 2008
We attended the school for two years and while the academics and teacher ratios were great, the social climate was not. There was a very strong air of entitlement among the kids (and parents) and a focus on how much money they could spend on birthday parties, clothes, etc. We move out of the area to avoid raising our children in that type of money oriented environment. There also was a bullying problem, starting in the third and fourth grade. One girl we knew was taunted by girls for months and the school did not step in to act. The administrators were not very open about discussing it or detailing what their policies are regarding preventing bullying. The problem was also detailed in a local newspaper story. In the end, the great academics did not outweigh the trade off of having to raise a child in that environment.

Posted September 20, 2008
This school has an excellent learning environment. The teachers are extremely passionate about educating the children. Everyone is friendly and caring. The programs offered are outstanding, as are the technological resources. This is by far the best school in the area.

542 Abbotsford Road, Kenilworth, IL  60043
Last modified The Joseph Sears School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
The Joseph Sears School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top