St. Francis Xavier

Private | PK-8 | 598 students

We strive for academic excellence while nurturing a call to serve others.

Living in La Grange

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $263,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $950.

Sweep tile

Posted yesterday

St. Francis Xavier in La Grange is an excellent school! Our students excel in academics, athletics, and many other extracurricular activities. Our students thrive in a faith-filled, service-orientated environment supported by an outstanding community of teachers, staff and families.

Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2014

St. Francis Xavier in Lagrange, Il is outstanding! We have been so blessed and pleased to have had both our daughters educated at this fine school.

Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2014

SFX in La Grange is an excellent example of how academic achievement can be obtained while still finding time for a community-focused, faith-based enrichment program.

Posted Monday, April 14, 2014

I feel so blessed that we ended up at SFX! My kids are thriving there and I am constantly impressed by the teachers, programs and environment. It was a tough decision to send our kids to school here because the public schools in our area are so good and our taxes are so high, but it is worth it. I really feel like it's the best decision we have made for our children. The service program adds a lot to their eduction. SFX is helping the kids become caring, thoughtful and empathetic people. Every grade has a different service theme for the year and throughout the year they volunteer and talk about the theme. I am just so thrilled my kids can go to school at SFX.

Posted Monday, April 14, 2014

I am so happy I decided to send my kids to this school. Everyone has been excellent from the office staff to all the teachers. Would recommend this school to anyone in a heartbeat.

Posted Monday, April 14, 2014

My family couldn't be happier with SFX! The teachers and the families are outstanding. It's a fabulous, supportive community!

Posted Monday, April 14, 2014

St. Francis Xavier of La Grange is an amazing place to learn, pray grow and serve!

Posted Monday, April 14, 2014

St. Francis Xavier is a community based in learning and service. Our students are encouraged to do their best, be their best and share their best.

Posted Monday, April 14, 2014

My children are recent graduates of SFX, and with the benefit of hindsight, we see how well prepared they were for challenging academic environments in both high school and college. But SFX does not excel only in academics. The service program is amazing. There are numerous opportunities for social growth with a wide variety of extracurricular and social activities. And most importantly, an emphasis on Catholic values and character. We have never regretted our decision to send them to SFX. Their experience there was priceless.

Posted Monday, April 14, 2014

My husband and I decided to send our children to SFX for preschool and have never looked back. Not only are they learning academics, they are learning to be caring, supportive, understanding individuals. The staff is amazing--they take the time for every individual in our school, not just the students in their classroom. We couldn't be happier at SFX.

Posted Monday, April 14, 2014

St. Francis Xavier school is a community where teachers, staff, and parents together put education and excellence first. It's the sort of place where every adult working in the school knows the names of all the children, the parents, and assorted grandparents or aunts and uncles they interact with. Parent volunteers come together for a variety of activities throughout the year, including the school wide service day when every single student participates in a service activity off campus. Students have art, music, physical education two days a week, and Spanish classes in addition to a basic curriculum. They leave well prepared for high school, and also well grounded in values of service and compassion.

Posted Monday, April 14, 2014

Simply amazing institution of higher learning and strong community based morals. Children are well prepared and properly grow as both students and quality members of the community.

Posted Monday, April 14, 2014

My school is great! Great teachers, special help when needed, excellent religion lessons daily, excellent service opportunities, wonderful sports, art, music, plays, talent shows, have met lifelong friends, dedicated people to family, church and community.

Posted November 12, 2013

Our kids span both the east and main campuses. We have found the quality of education to be very high; the teachers to be attentive and caring, and willing to do whatever it takes to help the kids be comfortable and excel. The school as a whole seems to foster a sense of respect, warmth, academic excellence and Catholic character. We are so glad our kids are spending their grade school years at SFX. We couldn't ask for anything better!

Posted November 12, 2013

The most beneficial part of SFX is the quality of students that attend the school. These kids come from solid families which strive for success in academics and focus on loving God and each other. The good-spirited camaraderie centered around learning and our shared Catholic backgrounds is something that has made me lifelong friends and is something that I will never forget. In short, St. Francis Xavier laid the groundwork for my social and academic success in high school and ultimately my acceptance into an Ivy League institution. The vast majority of "frannies" , at least in my graduating class, would share similar stories of fondness for this great school community.

Posted September 9, 2013

When my oldest child entered high school and hit the ball out of the park academically, I knew St. Francis Xavier deserved a huge portion of the credit. His high school is quite large and he is excelling amid formidable competition. In my view, the curriculum and processes at SFX have prepared him exceptionally well. Our other two children are also doing very well at SFX. On top of the strong academics, the school focuses on serving others, acting with integrity and working as a team in athletics. SFX rocks!

Posted September 9, 2013

St. Francis Xavier was one of the best parenting decision my husband and I have made. Not only have my children received a tremendous education but they have had exposure to great programs and extracurricular activities such as; athletics, student council, service opportunities and socials hosted by the school. Two of my children are SFX graduates and many of their closest friends are still their friends from SFX, even the kids who went off to other high schools. The community of parents are welcoming and very involved which adds to the richness of the kid's school experience. Lastly, and most importantly, St Francis Xavier, has provided and continues to provide the perfect partnership in faith formation for my children.

Posted June 24, 2013

St. Francis Xavier School continues to exceed our expectations year after year. We carefully chose SFX over ten years ago when the oldest of our 4 children was entering kindergarten. Since that day, we have watched our children grow and succeed both in academics and in their understanding of service. The teachers are remarkable, the athletic experience is fantastic, and the community is warm, welcoming, and kind. We couldn't be happier!

Posted May 29, 2013

As a graduate from this school (I graduated years ago), I can honestly say it was a great experience. The students were generally a friendly bunch and whenever we got a new student they were welcomed and pretty quickly found their niche. It's fairly diverse in terms of interests for its relatively small size. Racially it wasn't that diverse, but everyone was still friendly to those that weren't fully (or at all) white. When I graduated, about half or so went to public school and the other half to private. The academics were good and prepared me to go to nearly any high school I wanted. Some students even said high school was easy in comparison. It was a small school, so not many activities, though they did just start a newspaper club. The math club members were selected, it wasn't open as far as I knew. Peer mediators were chosen as well, and it was a great fun program. When I got to middle school, I felt the teachers there weren't quite fit for teens and tweens. They were often oblivious to what we were doing and didn't know how to handle us. All in all, it was a great school and I am proud to be an SFX graduate!

Posted March 3, 2012

SFX has been an exceptional experience for our daughter. From the dedication and quality of their teachers/staff to the robust parental involvement. There is a genuine commitment towards not just academic excellence, but also in developing caring, service oriented students.

Two or more races 2% N/A
Asian 1% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence Award (2013)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Maxine Donahue Award from NCEA (2011)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Gym
  • Kitchen

Gifted & talented

• Acceleration

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:45 a.m.
  • Ms. Debra Rodde
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Acceleration
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Chicago

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Book/reading club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom