Adlai E Stevenson High School

Public | 9-12

Posted April 9, 2014

I couldn't be happier w/ the academic & real world education SHS provided our kids! SHS provided great diverse peer groups, which encouraged ours to excel. Our kids learned & achieved far more @ SHS than they could have elsewhere. Students come from a wide range of backgrounds & econ. circumstances. SHS has exceptional teachers & administrators! Teachers positively influenced even our unmotivated nonconformist son who complained re SHS's discipline & pressure to conform while there. But today he praises SHS for preparing him well for college compared to students he's met. (And SHS provided him courses and trans. to/from CLC.) SHS helped our kids get into top tier colleges & prepared our kids incredibly well to learn & be independent at college. SHS has lots of extracurricular opportunities (our kids participated in band(s), swim team & lacrosse (despite minimal potential), clubs & academic teams) w/ great support from faculty & admin. Counselors were swamped by #s and college counselors pushed U of I & certain schools but did a good job overall. We dealt with security & deans due to adolescent decisions, and found them reasonable & focused on students best interests. GREAT SCHOOL!

Posted March 11, 2014

Great diversity, terrific college preparation Note: you need to be mature and dedicated to exceed. Stay on the path and the education can't be beat...Sky's the limit, however the competitive spirit is brutal, just as in adult life! Obviously the school can also get even better. They try to exceed standards, not just in tests. Can be a springboard for leaders...

Posted November 16, 2013

To all the parents complaining that the school is only centered on "superachievers", stop complaining. Stevenson may have a more intense atmosphere than some of the other surrounding high schools, but that's why it has had so much success. The staff and faculty wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't further challenge the students who were more receptive to the material. Another point I would like to make is the that vast majority of the reviewers writing complaints about the school are parents, not students. I'm a future student here and I'm excited despite the pressure because every student who attends Stevenson is given the opportunity of a lifetime to learn at the highest level offered to public school students. Don't let any of the blatantly inaccurate comments posted below keep you from sending your child to this school.

Posted September 26, 2013

Positive, encouraging and involved are the three key words here. With a child moving across continents in tennage years you can imagine the stress as a parent. The school hooistically made it easy . There is a long way to go and many logistics to solve for but early impressions are great. I am looking forward to the character building and education Vs schooling focus to bring in great outcomes for my child in the long run. Stevenson - i am watching you closely as I have high expectations of you as my child's alma mater!

Posted September 11, 2013

I spent some of the worst four years of my life here. This school takes kids in and destroys them. The pressure is unbearable. The security is mean and disrespectful. Sometimes I wonder if they've forgotten we're humans, not a bunch of livestock or something. Stevenson is the reason I search for the tiniest college possible. I want to be away from any environment that might slightly resemble it. This school makes me sick. Military school would be easier than this school. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILDREN HERE unless, of course, they're gifted. Anyone who writes a positive review about this school, has probably not spent enough time in it. Stevenson sugarcoats everything to make it look like some "heavenly" learning environment. It's not. It's horrible and cruel. I couldn't be happier to be leaving.

Posted August 25, 2013

I feel obliged to let other parents know that this is not a healthy place for any child. I agree with the last reviewer. My child is also academically very capable and was emotionally destroyed and lost his love of learning there. We had to work hard to help revive his interest and it took 2 yrs. He got a 36 on his ACT, yet didn't want to go to college due to SHS. I also agree with the idea that the main priority is ratings - academics, sports, teachers. Our son had one excellent Physics teacher and beyond that, not much. Very disappointing. I also agree that the priorities at SHS are not on students or values, but on achieving at all costs. Our son also told us that cheating is a way of life and accepted. This school just makes me sad for all the students there. Please reconsider if you are thinking of sending your child to this institution. They will be a number and if you are not ready to step in and compete for them, they may be steamrolled. We are so sorry to have had this experience in our child's educational life. We also feel our child's ACT score should not be used by SHS as their achievement - he did it despite SHS, not because of SHS.

Posted August 3, 2013

I am a future student at Stevenson high school. We have moved there just for my education! The staff have been very helpful and the school itself is huge and its full of apple iMacs! I'm so glad I made this transfer. This is truly one of the safest and most fun environments a student can learn in. Also, this school has a variety of AP courses a student cannot take at other schools. i could not regret transferring here!

Posted July 30, 2013

Stevenson is a wonderful school. When my children and I moved to this school last year my daughter had consistently been having trouble reading, and my son was having behavioral issues. In one year my daughter was able to catch up with her class reading, and my son has turned into a little gentleman. I can not stress how important schools are in raising a child, and I would definitely recommend this school to anyone. It is a diverse and welcoming environment where children feel like they can grow and be them selves in a positive and motivated environment.

Posted November 11, 2012

After going to Stevenson for four years, I had a few amazing teachers, but some of them in general aren't as helpful as everyone claims. Money is unwisely spent. For example, while more than half of the school's bathroom sinks and stalls are not functional, they chose to spend their money on a million dollar library instead a few years ago. The security guards do not treat students with respect and nearly everything as far as food and beverages go is completely overpriced, and definitely not worth the money. Students are not allowed to sit on benches outside when the weather is beautiful, even where there are security cameras and security guards who can monitor students. Their rules and regulations are out of whack, and their priorities are not directed towards the students. Yes, Stevenson has its perks, but a few wonderful teachers are the only perks that I can remember.

Posted November 27, 2011

This is a school meant only for superachievers. If you are an average student or less, you will not thrive here. You will get lost in the crowd and quickly slip through the cracks. We have had 2 students go through Stevenson and a third attending now. Their experiences have been similar. All of our kids were in sports until high school when none of them made any teams because they were not "good enough". So much for the high school sporting experience. We also have a kid with ADHD who had an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) in place. They tried, but the accountability between student, school and parents was not adequate and accessibility to the teachers/deans was limited and solutions to problems untimely. At the end of the day, the school has a great reputation, but the experience is far less glamorous and incredibly intimidating for the kids. We are considering moving to smaller school district with a more personal touch and better athletic opportunities for our 2 younger kids currently at the elementary level. Yes, we would sell our home to move one town over just to change schools as Stevenson is just not all that it's reputation suggests.

Posted January 12, 2011

I think that while all of the former reviews are true, there are key parts of the "Stevenson experience" which slipped their minds. First, this school is so impersonal, due to it's size, that you shouldn't expect your college counselor to even know your name, let alone you interests, preferences, or direction in life. Furthermore, the school has very poor report with ivy league schools, and admission rates, in relation to the quality of applicants, is downright embarrassing. If your child wants to go to a big 10 school, thats a whole different story. But for those interested in Art schools, you're on your own. Stevenson's plan is to push mediocre kids through so that they can get into a state school of an equal level of mediocrity. Good luck to any one who's plan differs; you're in for a ride.

Posted November 4, 2009

Great academic opportunities. Small class sizes considering large size of school. Very high percentage of students go to college- many entering with large amounts of AP credit. Deserves to be rewarded for achieving such excellence.

Posted September 16, 2009

It shows excellence in every way from excurricular activities to sports to academics! Stevenson is a beautiful modern school with exceptionally disciplined and talented kids.

Posted July 6, 2009

The staff and teachers here are not very helpful at times.

Posted February 10, 2009

The teachers are dedicated, and most of them have masters degrees in their subject. That, of course, means that there are so many different opportunities, no matter what you want to do with your education. This school is definitely one of the best.

Posted September 17, 2008

This is the best high school in the country. There is no doubt about that. It allows kids of all learning levels succeed. Everyone at Stevenson is involved in at least one thing at school, whether it be a club, a sport, or just helping kids out in GIVE or KEY club.

Posted June 24, 2008

I have 3 sons at this school and all of them are very happy with the education they are recieving and we are very impressed with teh quality of teachers and the programs they have at this school. I would highly recommend any parent to sent thier kid to this school.

Posted January 25, 2008

I graduated many years ago from Stevenson and now am a teacher myself. To sit in staff meetings and have principals refer to SHS as a model school, well.. it is amazing. Stevenson made college seem like a breeze, and as a teaher, I'm proud to say I came from such a well known school. Although the teachers and student population have changed, I have not met a highschool that prepares it's students as well for the real world as Stevenson. Thank You!

Posted January 18, 2008

Stevenson is amazing! Everybody always says that it's too big or that it's too hard and at first it may seem that way, but it really isn't. After spending several months at Stevenson, it seems quite small in size actually. At first, you feel a lot of pressure academically because it is so different from middle school. The teachers are very helpful with this and are usually more than happy to help you out. It is an amazing opportunity to be able to go to Stevenson and I think that in the end, it is going to give me so much more for my future than I could recieve any where else.

Posted November 18, 2007

Way to big lot of mean people. teachers do not connect at all with students. my son went there and was tormented. DO NOT SEND YOUR KIDS HERE

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Prairie State Achievement Examination (PSAE) to test students in grade 11 in reading, math and science. The PSAE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

Students with disabilities (IEP)42%
Students without disabilities93%
English language learners46%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

94.6%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISAT results from the state of Illinois.

2 This rating is based on composite ACT scores and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2012-13.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 19% 4%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1 Stevenson Drive