Lincolnshire, IL
Students enrolled: 4,031

Posted October 22, 2014
This school is great, people that are saying how they were "emotionally destroyed" or "super stressed" shouldn't complain. This is high school, not vacation.

Adlai E Stevenson High School 2

Posted September 26, 2014
The school is well resourced. However the service is not good. One department does not talk with another. It takes multiple phone calls to get one problems solved.

Posted September 18, 2014
Excellent school. The best in the state. Sought out by transferees into the area. Our daughter is loving SHS. Teachers are very dedicated. Great sense of SHS pride by the student body. Would not want my children to attend any other school. 10++++

Posted April 09, 2014
I couldn't be happier w/ the academic & real world education SHS provided our kids! SHS provided great diverse peer groups, which encouraged ours to excel. Our kids learned & achieved far more @ SHS than they could have elsewhere. Students come from a wide range of backgrounds & econ. circumstances. SHS has exceptional teachers & administrators! Teachers positively influenced even our unmotivated nonconformist son who complained re SHS's discipline & pressure to conform while there. But today he praises SHS for preparing him well for college compared to students he's met. (And SHS provided him courses and trans. to/from CLC.) SHS helped our kids get into top tier colleges & prepared our kids incredibly well to learn & be independent at college. SHS has lots of extracurricular opportunities (our kids participated in band(s), swim team & lacrosse (despite minimal potential), clubs & academic teams) w/ great support from faculty & admin. Counselors were swamped by #s and college counselors pushed U of I & certain schools but did a good job overall. We dealt with security & deans due to adolescent decisions, and found them reasonable & focused on students best interests. GREAT SCHOOL!

Posted March 11, 2014
Great diversity, terrific college preparation Note: you need to be mature and dedicated to exceed. Stay on the path and the education can't be beat...Sky's the limit, however the competitive spirit is brutal, just as in adult life! Obviously the school can also get even better. They try to exceed standards, not just in tests. Can be a springboard for leaders...

Posted November 16, 2013
To all the parents complaining that the school is only centered on "superachievers", stop complaining. Stevenson may have a more intense atmosphere than some of the other surrounding high schools, but that's why it has had so much success. The staff and faculty wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't further challenge the students who were more receptive to the material. Another point I would like to make is the that vast majority of the reviewers writing complaints about the school are parents, not students. I'm a future student here and I'm excited despite the pressure because every student who attends Stevenson is given the opportunity of a lifetime to learn at the highest level offered to public school students. Don't let any of the blatantly inaccurate comments posted below keep you from sending your child to this school.

Adlai E Stevenson High School 4

Posted September 26, 2013
Positive, encouraging and involved are the three key words here. With a child moving across continents in tennage years you can imagine the stress as a parent. The school hooistically made it easy . There is a long way to go and many logistics to solve for but early impressions are great. I am looking forward to the character building and education Vs schooling focus to bring in great outcomes for my child in the long run. Stevenson - i am watching you closely as I have high expectations of you as my child's alma mater!

Adlai E Stevenson High School 2

Posted September 11, 2013
I spent some of the worst four years of my life here. This school takes kids in and destroys them. The pressure is unbearable. The security is mean and disrespectful. Sometimes I wonder if they've forgotten we're humans, not a bunch of livestock or something. Stevenson is the reason I search for the tiniest college possible. I want to be away from any environment that might slightly resemble it. This school makes me sick. Military school would be easier than this school. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILDREN HERE unless, of course, they're gifted. Anyone who writes a positive review about this school, has probably not spent enough time in it. Stevenson sugarcoats everything to make it look like some "heavenly" learning environment. It's not. It's horrible and cruel. I couldn't be happier to be leaving.

Adlai E Stevenson High School 1

Posted August 25, 2013
I feel obliged to let other parents know that this is not a healthy place for any child. I agree with the last reviewer. My child is also academically very capable and was emotionally destroyed and lost his love of learning there. We had to work hard to help revive his interest and it took 2 yrs. He got a 36 on his ACT, yet didn't want to go to college due to SHS. I also agree with the idea that the main priority is ratings - academics, sports, teachers. Our son had one excellent Physics teacher and beyond that, not much. Very disappointing. I also agree that the priorities at SHS are not on students or values, but on achieving at all costs. Our son also told us that cheating is a way of life and accepted. This school just makes me sad for all the students there. Please reconsider if you are thinking of sending your child to this institution. They will be a number and if you are not ready to step in and compete for them, they may be steamrolled. We are so sorry to have had this experience in our child's educational life. We also feel our child's ACT score should not be used by SHS as their achievement - he did it despite SHS, not because of SHS.

Posted August 03, 2013
I am a future student at Stevenson high school. We have moved there just for my education! The staff have been very helpful and the school itself is huge and its full of apple iMacs! I'm so glad I made this transfer. This is truly one of the safest and most fun environments a student can learn in. Also, this school has a variety of AP courses a student cannot take at other schools. i could not regret transferring here!

Adlai E Stevenson High School
1 Stevenson Drive, Lincolnshire, IL  60069
Last modified Adlai E Stevenson High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Adlai E Stevenson High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 56 reviews. Top