Lisle, IL

Benet Academy 2

Posted December 02, 2014
My child was a Benet grad, and he hated it. Aside from certain teachers who actually helped him to succeed, the teachers were average at best. The school is cliquey. All the rich kids there are supposed to be "angelic", but party till 3A.M. and chug cough syrup to make up for it. The biggest issue my son had was the serious amount of intolerance there, whether against poorer neighborhoods, non-Catholic religions, or against non-Irish ethnicities. The people who say otherwise probably were simply blinded to this fact because they didn't have to deal with any of this intolerance on a personal level, but my son did. Certain teachers also pick their favorites since day one. My son went in for math help and was pushed aside in favor of the class "darlings". If my son answered a question in class wrong, he was laughed at by other "genius" children who had the tolerance level of a small pea. He also said that there were kids he saw all four years who never made a single friend. So much for "acceptance". Also, the school has certain teachers that preach that racial inequality is "ok" and that biracial marriages only end in divorce & terror. If this is the Catholic way, then I am appalled.

Posted October 02, 2014
My siblings and I are all alum of Benet. All of us are alums or students of regionally accredited universities in several different states. Often times Benet has the stereotype of being a school with rich kids with no morals or compassion. Many of the students, contrary to the stereotype, come from low to middle class families, mine being one of them. Never once did I feel snubbed by my peers. In fact, many of them were interested in my experiences coming from a rural community with agriculture being the main "crop." My siblings all had similar experiences. Additionally, Benet's teachers are without compare in my opinion. Many of them are the reason I decided to follow a career in education. It is easy for even an outsider to see that Benet teachers build rapport with their students. This is something that seems lacking in several schools I've been to during my college fieldwork. I can say without an ounce of doubt that Benet Academy was the most influential force in my adolescent years. The experiences I had and lessons I learned follow me to the present day. When it comes to college preparatory Catholic institution, Benet Academy is the best I could have attended.

Posted February 11, 2014
Amazing school. Yes it is hard and a lit of academic options particularly for students who get higher grades. But even so normal classes are just as hard. Those few ignorant people at benet make the whole school look bad. However, many students are very welcoming and accepting and you will find your own group of friends. There are also great teachers here that will help you academically and as a person. They are also hard but I learned a lot from them and still will as I have a couple more years left. Yes benet has some downs in it but has far more ups. It is a much safer environment than some schools and also a great place to worship your faith openly. You won't be discriminated against that here. Even sports di pretty well and many teams advance to state occasionally. Also there is a huge amount of students who are not financially well but also a good amount of students who are. Its worth putting your child here in the long run because he or she is guaranteed to graduate to college.

Posted May 22, 2013
It s hard to believe that my child's four-year experience at Benet is coming to a close. I can remember his first visit to Benet a fall shadow day when he returned home with the biggest smile and certainty that Benet was his future home for high school. From his earliest freshman orientation meetings to last week s prom, the Administration, the teachers and his fellow students have embraced him into the Benet community and deepened his passion for learning, his sense of community, his perception of responsibility and his faith. I m so proud of the Administration s and the teachers commitment to excellence and their insistence on creating programs that appeal to the broad interests of the student body. Thank You Benet for your contribution to my child's growth and for preparing him for the next chapters of his life.

Posted January 10, 2013
I am a current junior, and the arrogance everyone seems to have mentioned is completely false. Parents commenting on how they sense arrogance in the parking lot is ridiculous... judging a book by it's cover much? The students are not arrogant at all, and I come from a "have not" family. My dad works two jobs to send me and my siblings here, and I don't feel any different than the rich kids (while there certainly are many.) Really, the arrogance rumor is ridiculous. I love Benet, and highly recommend it to any parent considering it. I knew two people coming into Benet, and now I have a completely different friend group which was easy to make. Seriously, send your kids to Benet...

Posted August 31, 2012
I have sent 3 of my children to Benet and I am very pleased with the results both academically and morally. We are not a rich family, in fact none of the families from our grade school that sent our children to Benet are to be considered rich. We wanted a school that provided strong academics, discipline, and values. We received all of that. All 3 of my children were different, the one that was not a strong academic going in was a strong academic coming out. They had friends from all economic backgrounds and it was never an issue. Sure there are people there that are wealthy, but I found most of them to be friendly, outgoing and generous. The teachers truly care about the students and will help in any way they can. I will always remember those years with gratitude for what my children received.

Posted May 09, 2012
As an academic scholar coming to this country where I met my wife and settled, foundation in education is priority in my list as a parent. Even choosing the city where to raise my family, I did my research as far as school's report cards. I have a son who is now a freshman and another who graduated 2 years ago at Benet. I'll be lying if I say I didn't have worries about the environment of rich kids for my sons, but it proved to be wrong. The friendly and warm environment in school both for students and parents, is one me and my wife can attest to. The students are academically challenged, yet they make almost every student involved. The faculty make sure that the students are getting ready for college life academically and socially. My son ended up going to one of the county's elite program in the field of his endeavor. I told my sons that they will not inherit any wealth from me when I'm gone that's why I'm giving it to them now... the best education that I can afford for them. Benet is an excellent environment both for children and parent. I highly recommend it.

Posted March 10, 2012
Can't say enough great things about Benet Academy! Benet provides an excellent education and a wholesome environment with morally sound students!

Posted February 07, 2012
We are a relatively new family to Benet and I'm pleased to say that the school lives up to very high standards. In regards to the opinion stated below about the cliques and wealthy families, I just don't see this type of arrogance at the school. Our family is not wealthy by any means and we make great sacrifices to send our child to school at Benet. While there are very wealthy families there, I believe this invites insecurity only if you let it. We have raised our children to believe that many different attributes define a person's character, personal wealth is not one of them. The school certainly reinforces these values. Perhaps this is why he finds the other children extremely friendly and sociable. I would encourage any family considering Benet to let their child shadow for one or two visits. My son was "sold" on the idea of Benet Academy as a result of the passion and instruction provided by the teachers. He remains equally enthusiastic to this day.

Benet Academy 1

Posted October 16, 2011
Benet is a very good school for academics, but has a real problem with cliques and wealthy families (and students) making others feel out of place. It lacks "heart" and compassion in my opinion. With so many other great options like Wheaton, Naperville, Lisle, Downers Grove and Glen Ellyn schools, Benet has more of a country club attitude and less that of an inclusive school.

Benet Academy