No rating

College Preparatry School Of America

Private | PK-12 | 420 students

Student diversity

Living in Lombard

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $182,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,140.

Sweep tile

Posted November 12, 2013

We are fortunate to have an Islamic high school like CPSA that can prepare students for colleges like Harvard. Yes Harvard. The curriculum is demanding. Teachers are very good. If there is a downside it would be that the athletic facilities are minimal, and there is no separate area for prayer like attached masjid. The gym is small, about 5/8 the size of regulation basketball court. It's enough to get by. They have an expansion proposal for a new building but that is some time off till money is raised.

Posted August 26, 2013

—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 21, 2013

CPSA is a very good at weeding out all the trouble some kids due to their 'hard' admissions test. The people that have an issue with the school are not amongst the brightest so I agree that CPSA's a bit neglectful when it comes to helping slower kids. I love how everyone that tries to start a convo with the opposite gender gets in trouble because it keeps the standard high. If you excel in math and science, CPSA is the place for you. Everyone competes academically and good grades/SAT scores are looked up to.

Posted August 10, 2013

I absolutely hate CPSA. It was the worst thing ever. Like I had to choose between this place and Islamic Foundation and with much regret, I'd like to say that I chose CPSA. They never let me express my feelings enough. Sure I had friends there, but all they did was either bully or backbite. They are very strict on gender issues, for example once I said sorry to a guy and got in trouble. It is very small and claustrophobic. On the academic level it was great, but school is more than just studies, and I feel that's what they failed to implement into each kid. Overall, I wish I had not chosen CPSA and I hope they get better someday.

Posted August 1, 2013

Established in 1991, CPSA is a top private Islamic school with around 450 students PK through 12th grade. 100% of our students go on to college and most of them to top universities. We offer around 10 AP courses each year. It is a great school to work in and to learn in.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 7, 2012

I'll give the school that their curriculum is rigorous and challenges me. Before, I have never been challenged, no matter how many AP and Honors classes I took. But the challenge here is for the wrong reason. My grades are dropping because I simply do not have time to finish the sheer amount of homework we are given. Even after dedicating about 8 hours to homework, I am still not done. At my old high school, 1-2 hours was more than enough. That, and many of the teachers do not teach at all. One of my teachers spend the whole class period going over last nights homework, then assigns more without teaching. Another makes us read and take detailed notes on like 15-20 textbook pages on week nights. This does not mean, however that there are not good teachers. I do actually like many of my teachers. The people are also a plus. Religiously, they are wayy too strict with the whole gender thing, and some of the Islamic studies teachers teach the wrong things. The few extra curricular a are enjoyable; I think debate has made me some of the most awesome friends ever. Another thing is, these kids are not exposed to the real world unless they are on debate or MUN and that's very few of them

Posted April 22, 2010

great school for my kids. academically and religiously also.dedicated teachers and staff.hardworking parents and volunteers.

Posted April 22, 2010

Great institution, excellent in academics and discipline. Cant beat the atmosphere of learning and morality it provides for my kids.

Posted November 7, 2008

This school is for those who are part of the elite. One student's parent told me to come there because I'd be given extra tutoring and extra classes to help me on the standerized tests and AP Exams. This school is great for those who are part of the elite. Those elite students are the ones that boost the school's high standerized test scores. The rest of the school don't receive much attention at all. Not only that, but the extra curriculars are lacking. There has to be something related to service and not just academic activities. CPSA also fails to give a realistic environment of the real world. They emphasize math and science, and becoming a doctor like that is the only profession that one can go in. If you are more interested in English and History, get out of there. CPSA doesn't care about the average student much.

Posted April 6, 2008

The golden years of CPSA have passed. The original staff Dr. Nafe PhD, Dr Parvez PhD, and Mr. Iftikhar MS that built the school under the founder Dr. Saleem are nearing the end of their tenure at CPSA. These individuals dedicated their lives to provide quality education to our teenage youth. The new staff that are coming in are far less productive, but it's not their fault. The problem is that CPSA has been increasing the class sizes to 35+ for the last several years (in the elementary grades). But now those elementary children have reached middle and early high-school. Can you imagine having 37 students in a single classroom with one teacher??? How can they teach that many kids in one class? The answer: They Can't! The teachers are frustrated and the quality of education has dropped considerably. The problem has now reached middle school as well as 9th grade.

Posted October 27, 2007

CPSA was a great experience. Socially, the friends I made there are the best friends I've ever had. Cpsa gives the opportunity to develop relationships with your peers that public schools (which I also attended) could never offer. Although there are no music and art programs available, there is some focus on sports and and academia after class. Most students are involved in the Debate Team, Decathlon Team, WISE Team, peer tutoring, SAT classes, ACT classes, and long after school study sessions with the teachers themselves. I have never met more dedicated teachers in my life. The teachers stay extra hours to help the students. The results are astounding; show me one school that offers higher testscore averages, percentage of students in tops schools, and high moral values all in one. CPSA is a winner.

Posted November 22, 2006

CPSA has the best educational program in its area and is totally cool and fun, having gone there myself! CPSA is the best!

Posted April 21, 2006

Really good academic progarams, very interactive activities.

Posted June 2, 2005

CPSA lacks in morality and respect. The staff is very unorganized and not effective at all. The students are very loud and rude. I had an awful experience there.

Posted June 2, 2005

CPSA is an excellent institution providing top notch education and preparing students very well for college. The Islamic environment and discipline is what takes its students a long way-and what the students really need. It is sad that many people take Islamic schools for granted and don't appreciate for what it is giving us. The staff and teachers are always willing to help whether its teachers helping students with homework or parents needing assistance in paying tuition.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 28, 2005

CPSA IS THE BEST! It has the most devoted teachers and the Principal is one of a kind who can handle everything and the extracurricular activities are wonderful and many parents are involved, for there seen all around school, and it has one more thing no other school lets happen: fun. And on top of that we all learn what truly matters, once again, unlike any other school: Islam, so yes, it is better than all of you say, although it being not all high tech. So in the end, cpsa is the best!

Posted March 27, 2005

Cpsa is the best school ever!

Posted November 29, 2004

If you want a 'rude' but highly educated child then you would send them here. This school pushes high achievement on tests but sorely lacks in the basics such as respect and good behavior. But why should they when you have a principal who is known to have a problem respecting both Muslim women and African-American Muslims. (But you will not have the problem if you are neither of the above.) I would not recommend CPSA if you want to wholly develop your child in both discipline, respect for other ethnicities, and good character development. Why teach the good principles of respect in Islam but not actually practice it? Socially the kids are really lacking. My advice, is try to visit them during recess. It has been cancelled due to the boys constantly fighting. What does that tell you?

Posted August 23, 2004

Although it is a Muslim Church School, it is meant for high income people only. It was in 1998 Once I was late for two days for fee payment my daughter was kept standing outside the class instead of informing me. I talked to the concern cashier/clerk he told me this is our policy and we will do what ever you like to do. This gave very bad psychological pressure to my daughter. The principal was kind enough to listen but the staff was rude. I took my daughter to public school and she was treated well with high level of education. I never advise any muslim to go to this school.

Posted February 29, 2004

The school is in a bad shape. Students freeze in the winter and sweat in summer. The quality of education has detoriated over the past 5 years. Lack of discipline, lack of parent involvment, lack of teacher follow-up, poor teaching techniques have reduced student interest and challenge.

• Farhat Siddiqui
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Islamic

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious