Maywood, IL

Washington Elementary School 5

Posted June 02, 2015
I want to be clear that I am assessing the new Washington Dual Language Academy that started this school year 2014-2015. I have to admit I was extremely skeptical to enroll my daughters in this school given the District's reputation, but given the focus on dual language acquisition and competency I felt it was a calculated risk worth taking. Also, given this was a new program I believed that if there were enough committed parents and teachers all working toward the same goal, this school could be different. I'm pleased to say that from my experience this year it was MUCH better than I expected. Of course, the enrollment experience could have been better planned and executed but I didn't want that to impact negatively on my experience with the school as they were not at fault for the District's disorganization. We transferred in from Oak Park River Forest school district known for strong academic performances year after year. After experiencing OPRF (as a minority) I would strongly recommend this program for non-Spanish speaking students as well as already bilingual students. My daughters came into the program knowing very little Spanish given we don't speak it at all at home and it was not a strong emphasis (although offered as a course) in OPRF, but at Washing Dual Language they were in the perfect environment to learn it and have done well in their acquisition as well as literacy in both English and Spanish (both on grade level and above for each language). They also did not suffer in their development of the required core subject materials, it was just a bonus to also learn it in Spanish. I'm hopeful that the upcoming years will improve further as long as the community can see the value in the bilingualism of students and parents engage with the school in their individual child's journey. Let's continue to raise the standard for our community school and their overall performance.

Washington Elementary School 4

Posted May 05, 2010
It has produced some great professional from our community. It has strong historical roots in this community and is still doing a excellent job with its students. We have a pastor of a church here in Maywood who went to the school at age 6yrs and is now age 87yrs and is still active with the school.. Washington School was the only school African-American children could attend in this community before the school desegration law was passed in the 50's. It has remain the rock for this community and if researched you will find a very beautiful

Posted April 22, 2010
That was my first School Nursing Job.Lots of good memories.

Posted April 21, 2010
Washington is one of the oldest schools in Maywood and it has become a Maywood landmark. Also their test scores are commendable, the students and the teachers have worked very hard to acheive their accomplishments over the past several years. If any school deserve to be called America's favorite school it is Washington Elementary School of Maywood, IL.

Posted April 21, 2010
School has great history of teachers who have given so much to the school. Graduates come back to encourage the students of tomorrow that they also came make it and make a difference. A staff that cares and retirees also return for extra help as well to children and staff. Safe harbor to children in need with after school activities to help children learn that there is better way with the right attitude and self help in helping others.

Posted April 21, 2010
This is a school that loves and teaches their children. The architecture is only the framework; the real work is done in the classroom.

Posted April 20, 2010
This school is one of the best schools in district 89. They have made AYP for the past three years and have been taken off the watch list. The students and teachers are truly dedicated to their future and the teachers visit the high school to ensure that they are preparing the students properly.

Posted April 19, 2010
My kids attend Washington and it's a good school. The principal and asst principal really care about the kids.

Posted April 14, 2010
I never went to this school but it's apart of my community and I would do anything to help this school stay!

Posted April 14, 2010
The history of the school is well known in this area. A lot of good people came out of this school.

1111 Washington Boulevard, Maywood, IL  60153
(708) 450-2065
Last modified Washington Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Washington Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top