Mt Prospect, IL

Posted July 28, 2014
Overall Holmes is a pretty good school. I would say 95% of the teachers of great. Some of them, two particular gym teachers, should probably be fired for many reasons. Other than those two all of the teachers are either perfect or pretty good. I feel that the TDP program, the one I went through, is pretty good. I felt the challenge in 6th Grade, the easier time in 7th Grade, and the most challenging year in 8th Grade is a perfect layout and prepared me for high school very well. Although the main problem is the school is almost oblivious to any kind of bullying going on. I was bullying in all of sixth grade and part of seventh grade for reasons unknown to me and the school had no idea it was even going on, nor did anything to try and stop it. After my problem stopped due to the bullies getting bored of me, not the school helping at all, different bullies starting bullying one of my close friends, and once again the school neither knew about it nor cared and did nothing to stop it. Anyway other the minor bullying issues I think Holmes is a great school and I would strongly recommend it for many reasons I don't have room to write. -Former Student

Holmes Jr High School 5

Posted November 01, 2011
I was nervous that my daughter is going to Holmes, a lot of parents told me horrible things about this school that made me think of moving to avoid it. But my daughter is having the best time of her life, she really enjoys sixth grade, and the teachers she got so far are really good and friendly!! I checked the school's scores for last year and Holmes has the best scores in the district. I volunteered few times at the school and never seen any horrible kids the reviews were talking about. Holmes is a good school, and I would like to thank the school staff and the PTO members for everything they are doing for our kids!!

Holmes Jr High School 5

Posted November 01, 2011
We love Holmes Junior High School, it's a great school and the teachers are wonderful!!

Posted August 25, 2011
The experiences I have had with this school have been great. My daughter just started 8th grade and is in the TDP program. The teachers are dedicated and fair, the curriculum is challenging, and the after school/extra curricular activities are plentiful.

Posted July 14, 2010
This has good and bad qualities. Some teachers are really motivating and give challenging work. Others are restless and do nothing. So it depends on which teacher you get. There are limited oppurtunities for kids in TDP as I experienced, and they tend to focus more on getting the below average kids caught up. The team teaching structure helps,as the teachers really understand you But overall, there are better schools in the area.

Holmes Jr High School

Posted March 11, 2009
This is a great school. Teachers are wonderful. They are respectful and they help out. You learn and have fun all the time. I recommend the choir. Its so much fun!

Posted February 16, 2009
This school has some good and bad qualities. It is nothing above average, but they do strive to get better each year.

Posted November 17, 2007
Although the average test scores of this school are not that great, the school has an excellent accelerated academic program for talented kids. The teachers are very good and the kids in this program excellently in test scores and in high school.

Posted August 16, 2006
I think this school has some wonderful aspects: there is zero tolerance for those who pose discipline problems; the library is very good; the teachers are good; the principal and vice principals I found to be responsive, attentive and very much involved. I think it VERY incorrect to say that there are a lot of 'horrible kids and very few good ones'. My child made many new friends her first year, did well in her studies and enjoyed the many extracurricular activities that are available. True, there do seem to be many parents who do not get involved, BUT! the opportunities are certainly there if a parent makes the effort to get involved. I myself am on the PTO, Music Boosters as well as volunteering time in the school library.

Posted April 07, 2005
This a great school. But of course, there is a room for improvement. I wish they concentrate more on AG PROGRAMS and give opportunity to all studunts who wish to tryout for that. My both kids love this school. Teachers are great, too!

Holmes Jr High School
1900 West Lonnquist Boulevard, Mt Prospect, IL  60056
Last modified Holmes Jr High School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Holmes Jr High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top