Naperville, IL

Posted December 05, 2014
This is is such a tremendous school. Top notch across the board. They staff cares, pushes students, and tries to find their unique talents.

Posted October 08, 2013
Three children went through this school, all with different personalities. One competitive. One shy. One outspoken. Our family challenged all areas of the school. They all seemed to find their niche. With parental support and encouragement, they found areas to interact with other students, whether it was sports, student gov't, drama, music, clubs, there were numerous opportunities. The education provided challenged and prepared them. There was always homework, but the mentality and expectation from educators, parents and fellow students alike was that education was paramount. The school promoted community involvement and volunteerism, thus formulating the spirit of giving back at a young age. They helped to shape well rounded people and prepare them for HS. Lastly my kids LOVED Washington! They have great memories of teachers and Institute days spent enjoying our downtown with their lifelong friends. Lastly, there will always be someone who has a bad experience. It's what you learn from it and how it's used to build character that will matter later in life. I felt the staff was attentive and responsive. Parents need to take some responsibility too. Past Parent

Posted September 20, 2011
My daughter just started her second year at Washington. In my experience the school has been extremely responsive to every email, phone call, and meeting request; the front office is friendly, even calling me to scan a permission slip and email it back when my daughter forgot it. The classes are challenging, but encourage team work. As a 6th grader, my daughter was enrolled in 7th grade honors math. WJHS accommodates special needs at both ends of the spectrum. Community service is encouraged and recognized, for example, volunteering at the Dupage Children's museum next door. There are several options for the music program, sports, theater etc. Principal Ross attends volleyball games and theater productions; he's approachable and sincere. Of the 15 or so teachers we've had only one has been a "dud." In that case, we've asked her to focus on the material, not the conduit! Parents who have complained may be struggling with the transition/prep for high school and the "self-directed learner" goal that WJHS promotes. There is an active PTA (Home & School), a Moms-in-Touch group, & other ways to be involved if you want to be.

Washington Jr High School 2

Posted January 27, 2011
I have two children who have attended WJHS, one is currently attending. Naperville schools came highly recommended when we moved here several years ago, and many of them live up to their billing. However, I am sad to report that Washington is not one of them. The staff in general seem to do the bare minimum, and do not spend time getting to know their students. With the exception of a few wonderful teachers, most seem arrogant, and disinterested. The entire school has a very negative feel from the custodians, to the office staff, to the faculty members, and all the way through to the administration. It is a small school, and we had false expectations of a more personal feel. Students are unkind, and quite often allowed to bully their peers. We are very disappointed in this school, and will be extremely happy to be finished with our experience at Washington Jr. High.

Washington Jr High School 0

Posted March 03, 2010
It'a great, and I'm only in 6th grade. I love it, and all the teachers are really nice. Especially Mrs.Fors!

Washington Jr High School 4

Posted November 18, 2007

Washington Jr High School 2

Posted May 29, 2007
The quality of academic programs here at Washington Junior High is fair. Some class sizes are out of proportion. It is important to give kids attention but Washington did not offer any attention to my child. The availability of music,art,sports and other extracurricular activities I would say are pretty good. They have things to offer like intramural and things like ping-pong in gym class. The level of parent involvement at Washington could be better. It is not as strongly encouraged as we thought it would be before sending are child there. During conferences teachers were ill-prepared do discuss our child's progress and needs.There was no attempt to draw out our child and to find a method to stimulate his desire to learn. But don't be fooled, if you have the desire to succeed, you will. But if you require some attention you won't get it at Washington.

Washington Jr High School 4

Posted May 03, 2006
- a former student

Posted February 08, 2004

Washington Jr High School
201 North Washington Street, Naperville, IL  60540
Last modified Washington Jr High School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Washington Jr High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top