Niles, IL

Posted September 26, 2014
This school is definitely one of the best ones in the area. The teachers and staff go out of the way to help any students. The work they do is very good, helpful, and creative. The students at this school always come home with a smile on their face and a brain full of knowledge. It's a great place to send your child.

V H Nelson Elementary School 1

Posted November 17, 2013
This school is HORRIBLE!!! The teachers are careless, lazy, and pick on students who actually want to learn. No teacher in this school can breakdown their own curriculum. My child only brings home worksheets. when I ask him what did you learn today his reply is "the same thing we learned yesterday". My son use to love school, but now he has been ruined by this school and received a referral (discipline note ) for calling out to ask his teacher a question because he was told that he could not get out of his seat, but my son said the teacher was purposely ignoring him. When I talked to her she admitted to ignoring him because she thought it was rude for my son to yell out while she was checking her E-mails'. I told the principle, but she is more concerned with being all the teachers friend instead of an enforcer. The vice principle just tries to sweep the problems under the rug, and wants to keep any complaints quiet, and don't even get me started on the district they are useless. They did absolutely nothing!! I am taking my son out of this god forsaken place. I feel sorry for the parents who own there homes because they are stuck with this horrible school.

Posted June 21, 2013
We have our Son attending Nelson School since first year ,We loved the teachers and in pertecular Miss Danna Prunot , she is not just a teacher ,she was educator and engineered our sons future love to school , because of her we let our son stay attending the school for the 2nd and third Grade ,, She did a great Job ,she even went above and beyond her job duties to make sure that our son is preforming to the best of his abilities ,no words can explain our appreciation to he commitments to the teaching ,, , She Engineered the little kids more than teaching them , Salute to her and her great teaching skills , hope all teachers will do close to what she had done to our child,, Miss Prunoto we appreciate every thing you had done and we will keep you in our thoughts for the rest of our lives as an example of what a teacher should be, Nelson is fortunate to have you in their staff we were lucky to hade you as our Son Teacher and educator.. Sincerely Ahmads parents

V H Nelson Elementary School 1

Posted February 23, 2013
This school used to be well received but no longer. It lost its state certification and rightly so because of its low teaching standards. Classes are overcrowded and at least one teacher spells worse than said teacher's students...and doesn't know how to compute a percentage. Math and reading levels are far behind what some CPS schools require, which is frightening. And the principal supports this, which is why some families have specifically moved out of the area.

Posted July 02, 2012
This is great school for a child to learn and grow. They have very nice and warm teachers, great principals and they all are very seriously dedicated toward kids education. We were lucky to have Mrs Stankowicz as a Kindergarten teacher for our daughter and I must say that this is really dedicated teacher. Great communication with us all year round, the newsletters informing us about everything that was going on and what we could easily miss because we are so busy. Child has lots of attention from the teacher and is positively challenged at school by creative projects and varies activities. There is absolutely no way for miscommunication about your kid's progress and development. I love the fact that the teacher actually cares and answers parent's concerns as well as work on kid as hard as if it would be her own child. I believe that this is how we end up with intelligent society in the future,by responsibilities we share as community.They have wonderful approach toward diversity between students.This is very well organized and safe school.More activities wouldn't hurt but so far they're doing wonderful job and I would recommend this school as a good environment for child to learn.

Posted June 01, 2009

Posted May 18, 2009

Posted December 18, 2008
Caring teachers and staff. Will go out of their way to help all children

Posted November 18, 2008
Nelson is an extremely great school. The teachers are wonderful, and the environment is friendly and diverse. This is a great school for students to develop a grounded personality, as students are able to form long lasting friendships without most of the 'clique' problems most schools develop.

Posted March 11, 2008

V H Nelson Elementary School
8901 North Ozanam Avenue, Niles, IL  60714
Last modified V H Nelson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
V H Nelson Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top