Niles, IL

Posted December 11, 2014
School is in turn around phase and I do believe is in the right direction. Parents here are very involved in school and lots of activities. My young daughter was accepted well into school and very welcomed by students. There are some parents that can be viewed a clique-ish and they somewhat are, but I believe they may be misinterpreted as they are trying to get the school moving in the right direction and perhaps don't have patience anymore from past issues. But overall a safe, welcoming school, with wonderful families, community and teaching of moral values. Now onto education. The school I believe again is on a change but I find that I have to teach over many Science and Math again at home. Test scores are better but still lacking compared to other private schools. Agree with other review that dropping foreign language and enforcing Math and Science is way to go. There are problems with this school, but it seems they are being addressed and there is now a new principal and technology initiative in place.

Posted April 05, 2014
My children have fond memories of St. John Brebeuf School. Role models like the late "Uncle Pete" and dedicated teachers enriched their SJB experience. Fun, competitive, well-run sports program. Lots of volunteer opportunities. Unfortunately, too much parent power and their "if you don't like it leave attitude" has proven to be detrimental to the school.. Community involvement is strong. New principal anticipated for 2014-2015 school year. More advanced math and writing curriculum would help students be better prepared for high school. I believe It would be wise to eliminate the foreign language class and add an extra period of math in its place.

Posted March 29, 2014
It's sad to see how opinions quickly change with some families when they don't agree with the decisions made. Also, if the school has a dedicated staff, how can it be a "waste of time and money"? Within the last year, test scores and enrollment have both gone up. The school is finally moving forward with its technology initiative and has a great plan in place that will better engage the students in the work they are completing. My child loves going to school here. That's what matters the most to me. I see the work that is being done in the classrooms, and couldn't be more encouraged for the future.

St John Brebeuf School 1

Posted March 24, 2014
I agree with the previous post (March 21, 2014). What a waste of time and money. If this school was a private company it would have folded years ago. The administration is a joke. A few parents run the whole school with the motto "if you don't like what we are doing you can leave". That is what I am choosing to do. I would advise anyone who is considering sending their child(ren) to St. John Brebeuf to keep looking.

St John Brebeuf School 2

Posted September 19, 2013
The young, bright, and energetic teachers left. The old ones stayed. Why? Thank goodness I am no longer a student here. This place was great when I was in the younger grades, but once I hit fourth grade, it was downhill from there. The junior high teachers were not motivated. Why was the nun removed from teaching? She was one of the better ones there. As a fourth grader, I learned time management, how to be my own advocate, and how to be prepared for junior high - from a nun! Get some energetic and young teachers there. If not for the one nun and the solo male teacher, this school would be ranked lower than two stars.

Posted May 23, 2013
Great school! So many things have changed great programs from kindergarten and up, there is an accelerated reading program. The junior battle of the books from 1-3. The school won the regional championship at Battle of the books!, the envision Math program is wonderful! Interactive! There's a junior jaguar basketball skills program for 1-3 grade the childern love it. So much parent involvement. This school is turning around, its getting there! Terra Nova scores have greatly improved. Above 50-75% above the national average Mind you no place is perfect however it's a wonderful place, come check it out and grow with us

St John Brebeuf School 1

Posted April 09, 2012
My son graduated with honors in Math and English. When he tested for high school they placed him in remedial math. They said that most students coming from SJB are deficient in Math. Learn from my mistake. Do not send your children here. It is a substandard school and most parents will agree. Total waste of money.

Posted November 13, 2011
It's to bad the previous person left our school so dissappointed and misinformed. The school offers accelerated reader for children in K thru 8th grade. They also have a new math program which is wonderful. We have gotten a bad rap from people who are not even in our school and are not aware of all the great changes that have taken place. My children are thriving at SJB and it is worth every penny. The teachers are kind and wonderful people who go above and beyond to care for our children. They are here because they actually care not for their measly salary! If you want the truth come see for yourself what a fantastic school this is, you will not be disappointed! We don't need luck, we have a GREAT school!

Posted October 29, 2011
I left SJB extremely disappointed. My child was an accelerated reader and the school didn't even recognize it. I was told that the school did not have any available programs for accelerated readers until 3-4th grade. When I asked for advice on outside programs, I was told to research it myself. When I left SJB, the public school my child started attending, immediately recognized her potential and was placed in accelerated programs for both reading and math. My child is also attending a gifted kids program through Northwestern Univ. Looking at the positive reviews, I am surprised that parents are using words such as bullies or unfair to describe us. That shows you the kind of attitude and values this school and some of their die hard parents have. When I approach the principal and one of the teachers, I was told sorry, hope you can come back next year . If you want to pay for religious education (and tons of gossip) this is the place to be. Academically, sorry to say, they are pretty average and no better than many public schools. I am glad my child is thriving and I can use the $435 month tuition to cover her accelerated classes. Good luck to you all!

St John Brebeuf School 4

Posted June 16, 2011
As the parent of a younger student with one beginning soon, I can say that I have been impressed with the parent involvement and overall dedication of the teachers at St. John Brebeuf. Surprisingly, I hear rumors about this school getting a bad wrap due to the principal. I do not have personal experience to comment on that. However, I can tell you from personal experience that the community is fantastic and my child loves the school, his teachers and his friends. I have also met a lot of great parents who are willing to get involved and teachers who want to make a difference. For me, there is no substitute for a great Catholic education and I've made St. John Brebeuf my first choice to give my children just that.

St John Brebeuf School
8301 North Harlem Avenue, Niles, IL  60714
Last modified St John Brebeuf School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St John Brebeuf School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top