Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

J Giles Elementary School 2

Posted March 21, 2016
I believe that the school culture is not very welcoming to children and parents of color. Although my son had satisfactory teachers (Ms. Morrone, Ms. Hoban and Ms. Tomasso were very exceptional), the school administration as well as other parents are not very welcoming. They act as if parents of color are inferior. I feel like I have to prove to them (every year) that I am on the same intellectual level as them. I feel that there isn't enough diversity training for staff or the staff isn't very culturally competent to deal with issues that are affecting the children/parents of color at the school. I don't think they even want to address these issues. There is no security for our children of color. Examples of some of the problems, my son encountered at the school. 1. My son has been called anything from the n-word to kids telling him his skin looks like doo doo. 2. A boy told my son he doesn't act Black. 3. Another kid took my son's shoe and tossed it in the urinal and urinated on them. 4. Another child told my son that his mother said "you [my son] can't come to my [her son's] birthday party because you are a bad seed." 5. My son's nose has been broken twice at the school. I also, feel that the school punishes my son for defending himself against the bullies. I believe the school often demonizes my son due to their own preconceptions/stereotypes they may have regarding the African American race. I am not sure if this is intentional or unintentional. I am very dissatisfied with all the handling of issues involving my son and feel as though there was a miscarriage of justice. I am happy this is my son's last year.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted March 21, 2016
The home room teachers are not the problem at the school it is the administration.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted March 21, 2016
My son was excited about school until he got to Giles. Over the years, this school has tore away his at his personality. Now he hates school.

J Giles Elementary School 2

Posted February 12, 2016
I can olny give two stars for my son s second grade teacher. She is wonderful. But nobody else deserves more than that. Let's start with the superintendent and his office stuff. Don't call them if you have an accent, you will be treated like a second class citizen! Not to mention how rude those people are. If you renting in that school district you will be discriminated just because of that. I have to ask my sons dad to call them because I'm being treated like I don't belong there. And that's weird , probably 40 precent kids that go to that school have some kind of Polish roots. And parents with accents!! I tried to schedule an appointment to "proof our residency" :-/ after almost 8 years of living in Norridge :-/ and I was ignored for 4 days until I called again and was told that I can only see superintendent from 9-3 and no minute later. Forget if you have a full time job they don't care . I was told these are my children and I have to make it. No matter what or they will charge me tuition!!!! For public school!!!! Hahaha The principal is nice and tried to help us couple of time when my son wasn't feeling comfortable in his classroom. So that was nice. And thank you for that. Also we found wonderful tutor in that school, she is such a blesing. We r very happy with her. Update.... We scheduled the appt to see the superintendent and he never showed up. We had to take off from work early to make 2:30 meeting posible and he wasn't there. Those people have no respect for our time.

J Giles Elementary School 5

Posted May 12, 2015
I spent kindergarten thru 8th grade at this school. It was one of the foundations to my success in my education (thru my Ph.D.) and my success in industry. I can still name ever teach I ever had there and which class room I was in. This was in the 1960/70's.

J Giles Elementary School 4

Posted October 02, 2013
This school is very high in academics and my children are learning things I didn't learn till I was in high school sometimes I think they give a little too much homework specially when you have more then one child to help my son broke 4 backpacks one year from all the books he had to bring home in Jr high but they are really hands on with the students my son had bad speech and now I can understand everything. The only beef I have with this school is them blocking off the front of the school it makes it hard to drop off your kids and the office Ms.Fish is not the most friendly, approachable, professional, person.I don't like being screened everytime I want to walk in the school. And I don't like how the teachers don't want to hear your child out when they try to explain things. Some of the parents think they run the school and there is favoritism I've witnessed much of it. :-\

J Giles Elementary School 5

Posted October 09, 2012
Good teachers, small school. I prefer a school like this that has K-8 instead of changing for middle school

J Giles Elementary School 4

Posted August 24, 2012
The teachers at this school are amazing. The school is of high quality teaching for the students and they help the children who are lacking right away. The front administrative help, Ms. Fish in particular lacks professionalism in person and on the phone.

J Giles Elementary School 1

Posted April 23, 2012
I believe when you have quality teachers and principal like you do at Giles, they need to be celebrated too. It takes a tremendous amount of patience to deal with such an array of different personalities day in day out. Their jobs don't end at 3:15 p.m., when our children leave. It continues over into personal time. Now that is a labor of love.

J Giles Elementary School 1

Posted November 23, 2010
I am a grandparent of one of the students who has special education needs and I cannot be silent any more about the iincompatant, uncaring, uneducated and totally rude teachers who are suppose to take care of the special education needs of the children at this school.\ You may ask how do I know or why do I care and shouattended a school in Skokie,I forget the name now, and they had such a wonderful program. My daughter was in classes with childrem who had the same problems as her and she also saw a couselor once a week. Needless to say she got wonderful help from marvelous caring people and today she is a nurse. Now she might have been a nurse any way but I am a firm believer in that if you get help when your child is young and of course you have people capable of diagnoising when a child needs extra help it will help the child with learning as well as self esteem. School is hard enough now add the 15 odd chidlren in a class all with different learning skills no wonder a child who is alittle slow is scared and cannot foc

4251 North Oriole Ave, Norridge, IL  60706
Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. (708) 583-2068
Last modified J Giles Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.