Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

How much I hated my son going to that school. Let's start with his first grade teacher who was very pregnant but still "teaching" or should I say just showing up to work. After couple of weeks in that school she suggested that my son most likely will end up in special education class! She said it just like that. She didn't try to find any solution to help him she just said that to my face and left. It got me so mad but I didn't wan my boy to have any problems with this hormonal piece of sh...t so I kept quiet and got him best tutor I could get. After couple of months my son was scoring well above average on all their test and was suggested that he gets in more intensive program because he was so good. So much for her special education!!!!!! She was just to lazy to help my son, she would send no extra work home or nothing to even help me. Thankfully We're not in that school any more. After going thru hell thanks to the Norridge new superintendent. We have been discriminated over renting our house, discriminated over not being married and I have been treated like second class citizen because I have an accent!!!! Thanks a lot Giles school my son is going to3 rd grade now and still hates to talk about the "Norridge School" . Thanks for horrible drop offs and pick ups, thanks for throwing the children outside on freezing days, thanks for the yelling cafeteria teacher, thanks for starving my son on lunches because they had to hold their hands above their heads as a punishment for most of the time, thanks for your bulling problem, thank you for everything. Now we know what we DON'T WANT to school be like.

I love this school it is just as great as when I attended it 60 years ago !

I believe that the school culture is not very welcoming to children and parents of color. Although my son had satisfactory teachers (Ms. Morrone, Ms. Hoban and Ms. Tomasso were very exceptional), the school administration as well as other parents are not very welcoming. They act as if parents of color are inferior. I feel like I have to prove to them (every year) that I am on the same intellectual level as them. I feel that there isn't enough diversity training for staff or the staff isn't very culturally competent to deal with issues that are affecting the children/parents of color at the school. I don't think they even want to address these issues. There is no security for our children of color. Examples of some of the problems, my son encountered at the school. 1. My son has been called anything from the n-word to kids telling him his skin looks like doo doo. 2. A boy told my son he doesn't act Black. 3. Another kid took my son's shoe and tossed it in the urinal and urinated on them. 4. Another child told my son that his mother said "you [my son] can't come to my [her son's] birthday party because you are a bad seed." 5. My son's nose has been broken twice at the school. I also, feel that the school punishes my son for defending himself against the bullies. I believe the school often demonizes my son due to their own preconceptions/stereotypes they may have regarding the African American race. I am not sure if this is intentional or unintentional. I am very dissatisfied with all the handling of issues involving my son and feel as though there was a miscarriage of justice. I am happy this is my son's last year.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

The home room teachers are not the problem at the school it is the administration.

I spent kindergarten thru 8th grade at this school. It was one of the foundations to my success in my education (thru my Ph.D.) and my success in industry. I can still name ever teach I ever had there and which class room I was in. This was in the 1960/70's.

This school is very high in academics and my children are learning things I didn't learn till I was in high school sometimes I think they give a little too much homework specially when you have more then one child to help my son broke 4 backpacks one year from all the books he had to bring home in Jr high but they are really hands on with the students my son had bad speech and now I can understand everything. The only beef I have with this school is them blocking off the front of the school it makes it hard to drop off your kids and the office Ms.Fish is not the most friendly, approachable, professional, person.I don't like being screened everytime I want to walk in the school. And I don't like how the teachers don't want to hear your child out when they try to explain things. Some of the parents think they run the school and there is favoritism I've witnessed much of it. :-\

Good teachers, small school. I prefer a school like this that has K-8 instead of changing for middle school

The teachers at this school are amazing. The school is of high quality teaching for the students and they help the children who are lacking right away. The front administrative help, Ms. Fish in particular lacks professionalism in person and on the phone.

I believe when you have quality teachers and principal like you do at Giles, they need to be celebrated too. It takes a tremendous amount of patience to deal with such an array of different personalities day in day out. Their jobs don't end at 3:15 p.m., when our children leave. It continues over into personal time. Now that is a labor of love.

I am a grandparent of one of the students who has special education needs and I cannot be silent any more about the iincompatant, uncaring, uneducated and totally rude teachers who are suppose to take care of the special education needs of the children at this school.\ You may ask how do I know or why do I care and shouattended a school in Skokie,I forget the name now, and they had such a wonderful program. My daughter was in classes with childrem who had the same problems as her and she also saw a couselor once a week. Needless to say she got wonderful help from marvelous caring people and today she is a nurse. Now she might have been a nurse any way but I am a firm believer in that if you get help when your child is young and of course you have people capable of diagnoising when a child needs extra help it will help the child with learning as well as self esteem. School is hard enough now add the 15 odd chidlren in a class all with different learning skills no wonder a child who is alittle slow is scared and cannot foc

Last modified J Giles Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.