Oak Lawn, IL
Students enrolled: 1,685

Posted March 12, 2013
My son has Asperger's Autism. RIchard's has done everything possible to accomodate his needs and my son is now is all "regular" classes and in only 2 Special Ed classes. He is also on the honor roll now. There are a lot of exceptions given (allowed to turn in late homework etc) so it is almost impossible not to do good here. Originally, I was totally against sending my son here since I was worried he wouldnt get education. Now, I can honestly say, that my son is getting the best education he could get anywhere. He is learning and also enjoying the activites/sports at school. Also, new principal, Mr. Hallberg, is wonderful!!

Posted April 19, 2011
I don't think this school is all that great, I attend it too. They handle Psychological problems the wrong way. And some teachers don't care about the kids. I merely educated myself in the topics I am most interested in. Such as Psych and History. The students slack, and some students shouldn't even be in special education just because they slack and the school will have an excuse to have average test grades. The staff and Admins ignore you, and they go crazy if you don't have an ID. And they only take their sports seriously and don't fund other clubs that are Educational and Fun such as Art Club.

Posted April 14, 2011
I am unfortunately attending this school. i would not suggest it unless you like to be ignored by administrators, and constantly stalked about wearing an id. at this point i wish i went to private school and i never thought i would say that.

H L Richards High Sch(Campus) 2

Posted October 06, 2010
I'm a former student from a recent graduating class at Richards. I have few good things to say about the education I received. Among the good things that the school provides is an extremely diverse student population that promotes collectivity. That being said, I think that teachers were uninspiring and preoccupied by disciplinary issues. I have gone on to study at a rather prestigious 4-year institution since graduating from Richards and I was thoroughly under-prepared for the rigors of university academics. Teachers at Richards are good, but have yet to master how to cultivate a strong work ethic in its students. While I have managed to teach myself how to learn and will most likely be going to law school within the next couple of years, that is more of a testament to the time and energy that I have devoted to myself than anything that Richards can take credit for.

H L Richards High Sch(Campus) 3

Posted June 11, 2010
The school consists of 3 kinds of people: students who don't care about their own education only their social life, students who are very good at cheating, and the very very small percentage who actually work for their grade. Basically the top percent of the students are those who cheat their way through high school (with some exceptions of course). A large sum of the teachers are good and honestly work to teach their students but its odd how many of them are unaware that the same homework assignment (exactly the same assignment) is turned in various times throughout the day. The school is very good at providing help to students who need it especially those who may be mentally impaired. The sports program at the school is amazing but sometimes sports are very over emphasized over school work.

Posted January 23, 2009
no interest in education just political correctness

Posted September 19, 2008
I have a Jr. & Soph. at this school and I love it. My Jr. is on the basketball team and Mr. Cortz is doing a wonderful job with these girls. My soph. had a shaky freshman yr but we made it through it. The dean is doing a good job. The have peer mediation which is good at letting kids say what they need to say to get things solved instead of lingering on til someone gets hurt. I love this school and I'm glad my girls are here and have alot of after school activites to do. They don't have time to be in the streets I don't see them til late on school nites. Statistics show that kids in after school programs have less time to get pregnant and join gangs.

Posted May 05, 2008
this school is really something. kids know they are safe here & the school is full of pride. Ecpesially after winning the class 4A state championship in basketball!

Posted August 30, 2006
Richards' academics and extracurriculars are superb. My daughter personally chose this school over several private schools (including my own alma mater), and is thriving in its real-world environment (co-educational, with diversified races, nationalities, and creeds). Her ACT score is high enough to allow her to be accepted to 'any school in the country' (quoting her English teacher), so the knowledge is there. Being a public school, Richards cannot pick and choose its student body, but it has and will continue to deal with gang issues promptly and effectively.

H L Richards High Sch(Campus) 4

Posted January 16, 2006
There are plenty of extracurricular activities and sports, along with a wide variety of clubs. Students who are challenged will get the help they need (our child has ADD & Dyslexia and is now only getting help when he needs it and has maintained honor roll status for 2 years). Students who excell have a tremendous amount of choices, as well. Most of my experience has been positive. This school does have some issues with groups of kids (gangs are trying to get in and are currently not getting in),and try to make trouble. That isn't tolerated. Police/Security monitors everything.

H L Richards High Sch(Campus)
10601 Central Avenue, Oak Lawn, IL  60453
Last modified H L Richards High Sch(Campus) is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
H L Richards High Sch(Campus) Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top