No rating

St Gerald School

Private | PK-8 | 36 students

Living in Oak Lawn

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $134,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $940.

Posted July 9, 2014

I am an active parent and have been for over 10 years. St. Gerald is a great place to be!! The teachers are very caring and supportive of every child. The office is a dream to deal with! The Holy Name Society and Mothers' Club are great organizations and if you join is an excellent way to get involved and meet great people! Everyone is very welcoming! The new activity center is awesome. The sports program is also good. I was most impressed with how well the kids are prepared for high school. Class size is perfect!! Can't say enough good things about St. Gerald!!

Posted July 7, 2014

St Gerald School is a wonderful school. You can't find a better group of teachers, administration, or a better Pastor. The students do receive a top notch education, learn Catholic values, and form bonds for life with their classmates. There is something special about the atmosphere. Everyone is welcomed kindly and individual strengths are encouraged. Your child will be fulfilled at STG academically and spiritually. As an alum, I chose to return to give my kids the experience I was so fortunate to have.

Posted July 7, 2014

Posted June 28, 2014

After 2 years of my daughter attending St. Gerald I would highly recommend this school. The key is to avoid the parents that look for something to complain about instead of looking at themselves, Although I guess that is true at any school. Peace to all.

Posted June 27, 2014

My daughter has been at St. Gerald's for two years now (Pre-K and K), and our experience has been nothing but positive. She loves going each day. When she had an allergy issue come up this year, her kindergarten teachers were very patient and understanding, and made me feel reassured that she was with people who cared for her well-being. She has learned a lot in her time there - I was so pleased to have her reading by mid-year of kindergarten! My interactions with the teachers and administrative staff have always been positive. Class size is small, which allowed for a lot of one on one attention from the teachers for each child. Parental involvement is high, which allows for a very nurturing environment for the kids. The new gym facility is great, and we look forward to more opportunities to enjoy what is has to offer as she gets older. Overall, we are very happy with our decision to send out daughter to St. Gerald's, and are looking forward to first grade! .

Posted June 11, 2014

We are an involved family, this school is not a great place to be, its incestual, not great if you re not in the family or know anyone who is. Drama and clicks, not only students but teachers, staff & parents. They'll talk to you, about you, and each other, no code of conduct, very few genuine people. Clubs are run by women with no thought of passing on to the next wave of moms, phony and unwelcoming. Academically they are a "D" school, and they re ok with that. Lots of the moms could use etiquette class, they ve no social skills, and some teachers are fake and phony as can be, more concerned with being your pal on Facebook. Computer class not great; website is awful; gym committee has more say than parents. Families left because the school couldn t professionally deal with issues. Accounting dept. is nonexistent. Improvements are supposed to be made from pre-k to kinder- it s developmental milestones, pre3/4 are just daycares nothing special, kids watch a lot of movies! Summer camp, they don t do all they say they ll do with kids. Extended is just ok. Schools they are supposed to make people feel welcome this school chases people away year after year.

Posted May 18, 2014

I'm a parent that is involved at the school! I feel my children are getting a great education. As like many schools, their are clicks (let's face it, people just get a long better with certain people) yes there is some bulling, but again that happens at most schools! Unfortunately we did lose some families!! But that is by choice! As a community member, parish member & family of St. Gerald, I do believe that we the parents (willing parents) can make change happen! And remember, if someone says something that your child might have done (good or bad) please look into it before stating "not my child" this will help in matters!! Thanks and St Gerald is a Great Place to Be!!

Posted April 12, 2014

This is one of the worst schools to send your child to if you want them to have any sort of education. The teacher from Grades 4-8 are horrible. The worst teachers were 4, 5, and 6 grade. The principle is a another story. The teachers and the woman from the mother's club run him and he does not have a back bone. He is nice but not qualified as a principle. I moved my child into this school because of the lower tuition and let me just say... You get what you pay for. There have been so many families that have pulled their children out of this school that 3 years since the new principle came to this school has lost 10 families because of bulling that has gotten out of hand from the "Mother's that run the mother's club and their little gang of woman that will make your life a living nightmare until you are forced to leave. The Mother's club is a joke of rude, chatty, and cliquish group of woman. Trust me don't believe those reviews or parents that say how wonderful this school is. I got sucked into that belief and now my child lost 6 years of her education. You are better off saving your money and putting to the side for your childs college education and send them to public school

Posted January 8, 2014

I have 2 children enrolled at St Gerald and will be enrolling my youngest as well next fall. Both of my kids have made tremendous gains academically since beginning at St Gerald. My child in kindergarten is reading well and its only halfway through the school year!

Posted September 26, 2013

My children are attending St. Gerald and they actually love going to school. I love that they receive the education and discipline they need to prepare them for upper grades, high school, college and life. I like that the teachers notify me immediately if my child's progress is slipping in any subjects or even if they are just having a rough day; it helps me to be aware of what's going on in their lives while they are away from me. It also eliminates surprises on their report cards and prevents my children from falling behind. I feel that I can talk to the teachers and staff anytime I have a concern. I specifically want to mention Mrs. Reardon (K-4) and Ms. Slonskis (1st grade) as two amazing teachers. I cannot say enough good things about them. My children loved being in their class and have learned so much from them. The Extended Day Care is a great plus. They are even available on many days that school isn't in session but most people still have work. The staff is great; they help my children with homework and keep them busy the whole time. We are very happy that we found this school.

Posted September 13, 2013

This was the worst school my kids ever attended. Poor education level and many bullies in administration and in a class room.

Posted February 29, 2012

My child goes to St. Gerald. We did not send our child to the PRE-K program they have here and instead sent our child right into Kindergarten and I feel that because our child didn't attend THEIR PRE-K program they had already judged our child before the first day. Two weeks into school they contacted me to say that our child was not adjusting properly - UM HELLO - IT'S BEEN TWO WEEKS!! Give the child at least a month or two!! That whole scenario just aggravated me and as soon as I spoke up - they now tell me how wonderful my child is doing. That might just be because I opened my big mouth! I think with any school you choose - no one is going to care for your child as much as you do - we always have to be their best advocate!! Also, this is a parochial school - be prepared to pull out a dollar or two every week for something!!

Posted September 2, 2011

I like this school more every year. I like the small class sizes and old fashioned education. No teaching to the test here. Wish they had a gym, however we usually practice at Oak Lawn HS is ok. Very good education. The enrollment grows every year. That says it all.

Posted October 13, 2010

It is not just a school it is a family. The education you get is exceptional and the friendships even greater.

Posted October 13, 2010

My kids have never once in all the yeas they have been there asked to stay home from school or complained about going to school. They absolutely love it!!

Posted November 4, 2009

I love St.Gerald. My son is a 1st grader and we have had such positive experiences at this school. All staff and parents provide great support for the students. There are so many activities for the kids and Father Malcolm is great!

Posted September 18, 2009

It is a great learning environment for high school prep. But a great place for a sound moral foundation that the kids carry with them. The teachers, staff and parents are friendly and really care about others in the community.

Posted September 17, 2009

There is good rapport between teachers and parents. Kids have a well structured curriculm.

Posted February 6, 2008

We love St. Geralds. My child was easily reading after only being in Kindergarten for 3 months. If a child falls behind there is a program to help children right in school and it is free.

Posted September 27, 2007

We simply love this school. If you are looking for a school where your child will excel both academically and spiritually this is it. Both of my children left kindergarten reading! I was both surprised and pleased. Mothers Club is fantastic way for mothers to stay involved and active with the school and their children. Men's Club allows fathers to play a role in their children's education and safety as well. School Board meetings are open to every parent as a venue to voice any concerns that require attention. Overall, children thrive and parents are welcomed to be involved. Highly recommended.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Mrs. Leanne LaCoco
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NAEYC
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Chicago

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

9320 South 55th Court