Bad
Good

My child has been at Holmes for K-3. We've had a positive experience there all around. She has made many good friends. I appreciate that the school has a good mix of students, both SES and racially. She has enjoyed all of her teachers (we are still friendly with all of them) and learned a lot. Homework has been reasonable. Common core has been adopted which results in homework that is sometimes repetitive as they try to hone in the underlying mechanisms of math, etc. The PTO is active and sponsors several events (fair, pancake breakfast, International dinner).

My son attended Holmes with Ms. Saliny. I can't rave enough about what a positive experience we had! Ms. Saliny was so dedicated and caring, it really showed. I spent time in the classroom as well and was very satisfied with the way she worked with the children and encouraged their curiosity and love of learning. The principal, Ms. Hackmiller should also be commended. She was out almost every morning at drop-off interacting with parents and children. Her dedication and commitment to the success of the school is evident in many different ways. We love love love Holmes School!

My daughter has been at Holmes for 5 years. this school is amazing it has all I would want for my kids academically and socially. The staff is all very approachable and cooperative, very supportive and care for each child in a personal way. The school is pretty diverse and celebrates its different cultures yearly on " The International Taste of Holmes". The principle is really nice and knows all families by name. I would recommend Holmes to any family.

Holmes had fantastic opportunities for families to be involved. In particular, my daughter's third grade experience was with a teacher she cherishes for life. Ms. Ndiaye was her teacher that expected much and who gave all in return. After a teacher that is so powerful to a child, the next teacher has a rough job. We've left Holmes but are in Oak Park for visits. We think fondly of Holmes and really do miss it. It held true to it's mission. My daughter attended for 4 years. The school secretary can spin plates and another 20 things at once. She's amazing and so great to the kids.

Holmes is a very welcoming and academically challenging school. School leadership is excellent. Grade level teams work together to benefit all students. Special area teachers work closely with classroom teachers.

Holmes meets all the needs of the child in a supportive and nurturing environment with sound academic fundimentals. The teachers go the extra mile, the new principal is very attentive and responsive and the parents are involved and welcoming. The emphasis is on the child/person and not the parent's wealth/materialism. There are many wealthy families here along with families of limited means and the kids all play together. A very special place.

I will recommend anyone to Holmes Elementry School without any hesitiation. Inspiring environment where teachers, and parents work as team for holistic development of a child.

Holmes elementary school staff and families pride themselseves on providing a wonderfully diverse experience for our children. Last year we became a 'greener' school with an organic garden (soon to be harvested, cooked by a local chef, and enjoyed by our children) and a 'No Waste' lunch program.

Holmes is a great school! Wonderful staff, teachers, and parent involvement.

I'm on my third child at Holmes Elementary and I find it to be the best of Public Education. The teachers are first rate and the administration is caring and professional. The parents are involved without being too crazed and - every one of my kids has left there happy, and well equipped to be toward the top of their class in subsequent grades - what else is there.

Last modified Oliver W Holmes Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.