No rating

St Giles School

Private | PK-8 | 50 students

Living in Oak Park

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $260,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,000.

Posted April 23, 2014

My daughter is currently enrolled in the PK4 Program at St. Giles. I have been thrilled with the entire academic environment both years we've been attending. I'm a stay-at-home mom and know that the knowledge she had gained this school year has not come from me! The curriculum has been clear from the start, as well as the academic goals. I see my daughter achieving these goals and standards, and the teachers are completely to thank. She is proud of her accomplishments, and I'm so glad we chose this school. There is a lot of experience being utilized in how the PK4 program is structured, and it is evident in the materials and work that comes home every day with my daughter. Also, she is completely transformed socially, and is respectful of the school environment, which she's learned at Giles. I am so confident she is ready for kindergarten, 100%. Above and beyond.

Posted March 6, 2014

Preschool is not equipped for preparing students for Kindergarten; teachers are nice and are well equipped with playing with children or allowing them to nap, but if you are looking for reading/writing/math readiness, pass on this preschool; the school is poorly run, and administration is lacking in everything. Great history of the school and from others that attended in the past, but currently, the school is not what you would expect. Diversity is lacking also. There are better places to send your child.

Posted December 10, 2013

This is our second year at St Giles and we love the school and teaching staff. We've had an exceptional experience with (Pre-K) Katie Trankina and (Pre-K) Bridget LaPietra and team.

Posted February 13, 2012

I believe that St Giles is an excellent school. I like the environment and parent involvement that many schools just don't have (at least from what I've heard). The teachers I've had experience with show great concern for my children. At St. Giles, I feel comfortable in knowing that my children are safe and in a positive learning environment where not only school work is being accomplished, but life skills such as self-discipline/morals, sharing, and learning about religion are being emphasized. I'm proud that my children, unlike myself, are afforded the opportunity to attend an outstanding Catholic/ private school like St Giles.

Posted June 6, 2011

When our 3 year old entered pre-3, the teacher asked us to fill out a form asking for details about our child. I wrote that I wanted her to be challenged because she had a rather large vocabulary, could read & write, & her pediatrician, music teacher, people she'd meet, everyone noticed. Her preK teacher didn't, & our daughter spent 2 years doing mindless busywork at school. The classwork she brought home was shockingly simple/useless. We found out later that the teacher did extra teaching for six students, but we can't comment on the quality of that because our daughter wasn't one of them. When she turned 4, we had her tested at Northwestern. In reading she was >99.95ile, in math >98%ile. It was recommended that she be placed in "a stimulating environment at a level several years beyond current placement." Sadly, the preK teacher hadn't the faintest. If you think your child is bright, LOOK ELSEWHERE. St. Luke's in RF has a formal gifted program, St. Vincent's in RF offers more robust early education, and every OP public school is mandated to have gifted programs. We have yet to hear from the principal despite several attempts to meet with her. Hope it doesn't happen to your child.

Posted July 9, 2010

We have had a great experience at St. Giles. When our son was in pre-school, his teacher recognized that he needed some specialized help which enabled us to address what could have become a larger problem. Now entering 2nd grade, he is continuing to flourish. St Giles provides a caring, nuturing environment, with teachers who are engaged with the students.

Posted July 8, 2010

Both my husband and I had parents who taught in public schools, so we are very big public school supporters. We put our oldest daughter in pre-school at St. Giles expecting her to attend public school for kindergarten. However, our daughter absolutely flourished in the pre-school at St. Giles. The nuturing environment and excellent academics of the school have seen her through to her start of fourth grade this year. Our twin five-year-olds have had an equally positive pre-school experience and are moving on to St. Giles' kindergarten. Thank you St. Giles for all you do for our children!

Posted July 8, 2010

Our son attended St.Giles Preschool and will be entering Kindergarten this fall. We couldn't be happier! The entire St.Giles community is very supportive and involved. Our son loved his teachers and looked forward to going every day. We have lived in this community for 10 years and have never heard anything negative about the school and so far we've found it to be true. We look forward to sending our younger son to school there as well.

Posted June 3, 2010

We sent our child to this school for two years but we did not feel the environment was as positive as the prior reviewers. Our child's teacher felt during his first year he needed early intervention because he was too shy and didn't talk to her. Even though he was reading grades above his level and interacted well with classmates and otherwise really enjoyed going to the school. We tried to communicate his strengths to the teacher but it was dismissed. We continued another year hoping for an improvement, but the teacher told my husband during the parent teacher conference she wasn't sure she would feel comfortable promoting him to the next level! Due to this negative and insulting experience and to spare this teacher of any "embarrassment" of promoting him, we will be sending our child to the public school which is very good and not looking back.

Posted December 28, 2009

St. Giles is the best school I have ever went to they have a awesome staff list students treat you like family I would tell somebody who is looking for a school to attend
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 8, 2009

We have had a very positive expereince at St. Giles and I would not send my children anywhere else in Oak Park. Its strengths are definitely evident from 1st grade on although the addition of the new kindergarten teacher has strengthened that grade as well. We love the athletic program options and all the summer activities offered. My children have learned true kindness and all have a giving spirit. St giles is a real gem!

Posted March 6, 2009

The school is really does a exceptional job. They not only prepare the children academically but spritually as well. The school does a good job teaching the students to care for others. There athletic program is wonderful encouraging all students to try regardless of their ability. The teachers are very dedicated and hard working. Our experience with the school has been a truly positvie one.

Posted March 5, 2009

We feel so lucky to be part of the Giles environment. The teachers are outstanding and the curriculum is challenging but manageable. The athletic program is strong and competitive yet inclusive. Our kids are not only prepared academically when they leave St. Giles School, but they are prepared spiritually as well. Things like kindness and community service are stressed and is part of the Giles culture.

Posted March 5, 2009

Our family has been at St.Giles for 9 years, and we have 4 more to go. I am consistently amzed and impressed withthe quality of the teachers and their dedication to my children and all the students. The academic rigor and social responsibility at St. Giles should be a model for all schools. I know that my kids are getting the best possible education that is avaiable in the Oak Park area.

Posted March 5, 2009

I have been a member of St. Giles Parish and my children have attended St. Giles School for 11 years so far. I love the school environment and the education they are providing is superb! By eighth grade, the kids are well-prepared to excel in high school.

Posted March 4, 2009

We have been a St. Giles family since pre-school and have found by being involved in our children's education and active in the school, we helped create a positive learning environment. Your child won't like every teacher but the programs offered and the opportunities to be involved helped us give our children a first rate education and I believe helped get them in the best high school where they continue to excell in honors programs. If your child has been there for years and not liked it, you are missing something.

Posted March 4, 2009

I have had 2 children in St. Giles for the last 8 years, since pre-school. I would say it IS the best school in the area, academically and otherwise. We have a wonderful athletic program, in which all students (athletic or not) are included and the gym teacher is FABULOUS. We have education in Spanish, computers (Apples), music, art, and library. It is a nurturing environment. The principal is very open to meeting and discussing all issues with parents. The teachers are very available to parents for issues of concern. The quality of the education is outstanding, with most students being accepted into the high school of their choice after 8th grade (top quality high schools). The most wonderful part about the school is the community aspect, it feels like family, especially if parents choose to be involved in the school, and there are many opportunities.

Posted March 4, 2009

We are the parents of two children at St. Giles - both have attended since pre-school and the oldest will graduate from 8th grade this year. We have found the entire experience (11 years worth!) to be beyond our wildest expectations. We are completely satisfied with the academic, athletic and spiritual education our children have received. In addition to the educational value of this school, we would also give it high marks for teacher dedication (yes, the junior high teachers are especially fabulous), parent involvement, extra-curricular activities (kudos to the Athletic Director & his staff for making fair play a high priority) and for not only teaching the golden rule, but expecting the entire school community to live by it. We believe that sending our kids to St. Giles was one of the best parenting decisions we could have made for them.

Posted March 3, 2009

I couldn't disagree more strongly with the negative comments. My children have been at St. Giles since preschool and have loved most teachers. I think the school strongly prepares you for high school and from my understanding many of our graduating students are accepted to the high school of their choice and place in honors courses. Great extracurriculars like athletics, band, art club and summer programs are also available.

Posted March 3, 2009

I've had children at St. Giles for the past 12 years. It has been a great experience for the whole family. The graduates get into the best area high schools and are very well-prepared when they leave. The junior high is particularly fabulous.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Susan Poetzel
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NAEYC
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Chicago

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1034 Linden Avenue