No rating

Cardinal Joseph Bernardin Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 635 students

We are best known for national Blue Ribbon status.

Living in Orland Hills

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $220,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,070.

Posted June 3, 2014

Good school, great people. Congrats class of 2014. I wouldn't hesitate when recommending this school to anyone.

Posted April 13, 2013

My school is amazing. Support? A time to shine? Everyone gets that all the time, I'm a student that goes there everyday so I would know better than any parent with their bad opinion of our school. We have fund raisers, SCRIP, food/clothes drives. The teachers actually do summer camp if you need help, I got tutored by a teacher for 7th grade while I was still in 6th grade. They take the security of the school very cautiously. They have lockdowns, fire drills, tornado drills, and other secured drills. We are also a Blue Ribbon School. There is no one left behind. We are all one family. I know when I graduate from 8th grade, I'll miss all my friends, teacher, and staff.

Posted November 6, 2011

We have been part of the Cardinal Bernardin community for 9 years and couldn't be happier. As my oldest daughter transitioned to high school this year, I was nervous as to how she would adjust. Now that the first quarter has passed, my husband and I are filled with gratitude that our daughter is enjoying high school and doing well academically. This is due to the preparation the teachers at CJB gave her. We are confident that this will be the same for our 3 younger children and will be sad when they are done at Cardinal Bernardin.

Posted November 1, 2011

We have four children that will have completed K-8 at CJB. The school has an excellent balance of academics, social, athletics, and community. There are many parents at this school that team with the admistration sharing their talents which usually results in further improvements and success for CJB. One of our four children is now at a college prep high school. She is now realizing how CJB helped prepare her for core courses. She has come home and stated that she is thankful for the introduction of topics in Jr. High. If you want to be involved in your child's education, there is plenty of opportunity. If you believe that everything regarding your child's education should be completed during school hours, this is not the right fit for you.

Posted November 1, 2011

After careful consideration of the excellent public schools in our area, my family selected CJB. 10 years later - my 3 children are thriving and I could not be happier with our choice. The school provides outstanding educational opportunities but it also allows my children to grow in a loving, family-centered, faith based environment. The school community (faculty, administration and parents) all work together to provide each child with the skills and confidence that are integral to academic success.

Posted October 31, 2011

I am a parent of three children. My oldest just graduated from Cardinal Joseph Bernardin. She has been a student with CJB since she was 5. My other two children are in 7th and 3rd grade. As a parent I am PROUD that my child is a graduate from CJB! Now that my daughter is in High School I can truly recognize the amazing academics that is provided at CJB. Yes, the standard is high, but it is well worth it in the end. CJB provides a "family-like" atmosphere with an amazing staff/faculty. I am very happy with the sacrafice my husband and I have made to send our children to CJB! We have met the most amazing families that will be apart of our lives for years to come! CJB whatever your doing keep up the great work! GO CARDINALS!

Posted October 31, 2011

Cardinal Bernardin school has been a wonderful choice for our three children. We have been at CJB for over 10 years and have an excellent experience both academically, athletically and socially. We have met many wonderful people at CJB and feel blessed to part of the CJB "family".

Posted October 31, 2011

I have had three children graduate from CJB and it was worth the money. They were all prepared for their college prep high school. The transition was easy because they were used to homework on a regular basis. They were also great writers too. The staff and families were all caring and participated in school activities.

Posted October 31, 2011

The quality of this school is excellent. The school is a community. Everyone is caring and respectful. The discipline that we have at home is reenforced at the school. The academics are excellent and the children are prepared for a college prep high school.

Posted October 31, 2011

I was told once, that in the end, every child gets to the same destination. It's the journey that counts. My two children that attended CJB are in high school now. They were well prepared academically and socially. Their journey through CJB was a wonderful experience for both of them. They love to go back and visit as much as possible.

Posted October 31, 2011

Our family has been part of CJB since it opened. The school has prepared my two high school students well. While it does take a sacrifice, we have never regretted our decision. We have one more child at the school and will be very sad when she graduates. The sport program has given my kids memories and lessons that they will never forget. CJB excels in education, spirituality, and athletics.

Posted October 31, 2011

Our family has been extremely satisfied with CJB School. We have been very pleased with the academic program, sports program and music program at the school. The atmosphere is very positive. The teachers encourage the students to acheive the highest level possible and they reinforce a peaceful Christian environment. We have made the right decision for our children's education.

Posted November 22, 2010

The support at this school was not acceptable. Every child deserves the chance to shine - not just the brillant ones.

Posted October 5, 2010

Cardinal Bernardin (CJB) is an excellent school. My son has attended the public school as well as CJB. I found both schools to have excellent teachers and strong academics. CJB has U of Chicago math program. While my family enjoys this program, others have not (ask questions). The hw at CJB is FAR more demanding and the students (imo) are well prepared for the rigors of high school. The expectations placed upon the students are very high. However, I have found that the teachers are willing to work with students and parents if the workload becomes too much. The school is a tight knit Catholic community. You will know everyone eventually. We have enjoyed this aspect of the school, while others have not. In some grades, there are as few as two classrooms. The school has received many awards and the admin continues to set high standards.

Posted October 6, 2009

This school is excellent. The teachers and administrators are very responsive to concerns and my children have thrived here. Very much of a community feeling.

Posted December 30, 2008

This is an outstanding school and newly a Blue Ribbon school!! Pure academic excellence with teachers that are the best of the best!!

Posted January 17, 2008

I am new to CJB and I love it. Every one was so welcoming on my first day.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 4, 2007

I'm going into 8th grade at CJB (cardinal joseph bernardin) and I have to say that I hate it, my parents don't like it. The academics is good but not great.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 16, 2005

Absolutely fantastic! The staff,along with the archdioces, have created an elite educational experience. It is expensive, but worth the price! By the way, school uniforms are very cost effective. All schools should have them. One more thing, I teach in the public school system and KNOW a good school when I see one!

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 4%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Nationally Recognized Blue Ribbon School of Excellence (2008)

Arts & music

Foreign languages taught
Foreign languages spoken by staff

Health & athletics

• Gym

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Mary Iannucilli
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (708) 403-8621

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Foreign languages taught

Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Chapel/spiritual reflection center
  • Computer
  • Gym
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Chicago

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student newspaper