Park Ridge, IL

Posted May 08, 2014
Although it is true that parents are "cliquey" who cares. I'm more concerned for my child's education. Anytime there has been a problem, I've gone to my child's team of teachers. If I coudln't find a satisfactory resolution (which was rare) I would escalate and at that point the principal and Asst. principals would get involved, stay involved until all was resolved. My child has been on honor roll every single semester at GWMS and it is due to the hard work and dedication he receives from his teachers and his IEP. LOVE this school and can only hope this HS years are as good as GWMS has been.

Posted October 03, 2013
My son is in his sixth year at Washington. Yes, some of the parents are too close with lifelong friends too really get to know, and some parents are "cliquey" but that in no way impacts the quality education offered by this school. My son has an IEP and has revived more than necessary in terms of academic, social and emotional support. The teachers and staff are truly a community and a team. Extracurricular activities such as the talent show, parties for parents and children and the PTO are exceptional. Hot lunch, pizza day, safety patril, walkathon, field day, outdoor education trip and field trips have a balance of fun and responsibility. Is this school or its families perfect? No. Is any? If someone ever feels left out, parent or child, the solution is to join a group that they are interested in or volunteer to be a crossing guard. That's how I met people when I was new six years ago.

Posted April 30, 2013
Excellent school, caring teachers and supportive parents. Not sure why some of these posts are worried about which other parents are being nice to them or looking at them funny. In the 10 years we have had children attending this school I have never encountered anything but pleasant, supportive parents and exceptional staff. I would (and do) recommend this neighborhood and this school to anyone and everyone. I will be forever grateful to the teachers and staff at this school for helping shape my children into kind, compassionate and intelligent young people.

George Washington Elementary School 3

Posted February 07, 2013
My son currently attends Kindergarten at George Washington Elementary. He is exceeding beyond what I'd imagined him going into this. I believe they work hard at teaching the children above and beyond just academics, but also responsibility, kindness, etc. However, the staff tend to be extremely judgmental and the parents are very cliquey. They should teach the parents some of what they're teaching the children. My son missed a total of 10 days (not in a row) due to multiple bronchiolar infections as well as streptococcus, was pumped with antibiotics the whole time, and they sent a letter home basically stating it was wrong. The PTO sounds great, except for the fact that it makes you not want to join due to the unwelcome feeling and dirty looks you receive being "the new one around town", So I backed away as far as I could. Educationally the school is great, but other than that, I've felt bad most of the time my son has been there due to the adults.

Posted March 11, 2011
There are not enough positive words to describe this amazing school. All 3 of our children have attended or are attending Washington and it is second to none. From the principal to the teachers to the resource teachers and the teachers aides, the positive learning environment makes sending my kids off to school each day a joy. We feel very fortunate to have this school and these educators working with our children every day. As a parent of a child in the "gifted" program as well as a child in resource for a learning disability and ADD, I have had wide exposure to the breadth and depth of the staff at this school and have yet to come across anyone that is not completely professional, compassionate, intelligent and caring. Simply the best.

Posted October 09, 2008
In terms of leadership, teaching, and learning, this is a very special school. One of my children has had trouble learning, and the teams of teachers rallied to support him over several years. This was excellent! As an educator, myself, I am very critical of what I see as lapses in our educational system, but I have nothing but praise for Washington School.

George Washington Elementary School 3

Posted May 02, 2008
This school is academically spectacular. The teachers and support staff are wonderful. There is no diversity, ethnically, religiously or socio-economically. We have had so much trouble with bullying and blatantly mean children that we've decided to move our daughter into a different school; even if their ISAT scores are lower. Also, parents are cliquish and their children learn the same behavior. Otherwise, academically excellent.

Posted September 05, 2007
This school had all a parent and student could ask for in early childhood education. The principal and staff are fantastic and friendly. My daughter loves everything about her experience so far and is thriving in 1st grade.

Posted October 25, 2006

Posted March 07, 2005
My daughter enjoys music and a chorus class before school in the morning. Language class is also available to her. This is a great school,she loves to learn now.

George Washington Elementary School
1500 Stewart Avenue, Park Ridge, IL  60068
Last modified George Washington Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
George Washington Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top