PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Amount of homework: Agree

My children have just the right amount of homework. They have a little review to do most evenings that pertains to work completed in the classroom during the day. It helps my children learn "the basics," how to organize their materials, and a little responsibility.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Since St. Andrews is a Christian school, they teach Biblical principles such as honesty, truthfulness, and kindness.

St. Andrews Lutheran School in Park Ridge has been a huge blessing for our family. The principal, teachers, and staff are dedicated and very attentive to students. My children love the choral music program and enjoyed being in the all school musical last year (held every other year). My husband and I love the small, close-knit community at St. Andrews, the Christian perspective, the extra attention our children get from small class sizes, and that standardized testing is not a major focus. Wonderful school!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

St. Andrews has wonderful teachers. They are all very dedicated to Christian education. Mrs. Haase is a skilled kindergarten teacher. My sons learned so much in her class!

St. Andrews is a blessing to our children's educational, emotional, and spiritual needs. The principal and assistant principal are outgoing and care deeply about their students. The preschool program is booming and their director continues to offer and open new programs. We started our children with preschool at St. Andrews and now they are in elementary and jr. high! Praising God for being able to send my children to this private school!

St. Andrews is a wonderful school! We came to the school last year after leaving another private school and the difference is night and day. The teachers are attentive to each student, the Principal is very engaged and the religious aspect is second to none! The newly remodeled library is outstanding along with the computer lab. Our family is looking forward to many more happy years here.

Great PreK teacher. Not so good after that. Some academic issues such as middle grade teaching of evolution as a myth and a slow math curriculum. Felt more rigor (in addition to/beyond text book) could have been utilized, especially with such small class sizes. Middle grades teacher correcting student at Geography Bee about Shakespeare's birthplace, "England is not a country. Shakespeare was born in the country of UK." Busy work word searches for homework. Not impressed. Not returning.

We absolutely love St Andrews. We switched from a Catholic school in the area and were hesitant about the switch. Our fears and concerns immediately washed away after the first week. The PK3 teacher is incredible. The activities she does with the children are creative, fun, and educational. The kids were warm and friendly to my shy child. They have weekly updates on the kids activities (which the other school didn't) which allowed more conversation about my child's day. Also, they offer a literacy class to spend extra time on handwriting, math skills, etc. Could not be happier with our switch.

St. Andrews continues to amaze me as my children are challenged academically, taught values and morals and are receiving an outstanding christian education. The school continues to add new programs geared to students of all ages including a new preschool literacy program - yep, 3 year olds are learning early reading, a fabulous music program, a sports program that allows everyone to play and even have a middle school "high school prep" course in the works. I could send my kids to Park Ridge public schools, but I'm so thankful we decided to send our kids here over 9 years ago and would recommend it to anyone who asks. All schools have bully issues to some extent . It is nowhere as bad at St. Andrews as it is at many other schools and ALL issues are looked into by the principal and are addressed with those involved. I'm proud to be a Panther Parent!!!

Principal is great. Teachers are mostly average. Third grade teacher is exceptional. Strong sense of faith is experienced and modeled. Unusual amount of bullying for a small school. Majority of bullying comes from several children of the most involved parents. Academics do lag. Graduating "Honor Roll" students often need pre-enrollment remedial summer math (Maine South) or fail first quarter English (Maine East). Sports and music programs are very strong. Children with social disorders (requiring medication) who have trouble fitting in at other schools have found a home at St. Andrews. For parents interested in enrolling their child in kindergarten, for a true picture, ask (unannounced) to observe the kindergarten teacher in action for a few hours (don't just let your child 'shadow').

Last modified St Andrews Lutheran School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8