Peoria, IL

Kiefer School 1

Posted August 18, 2013
I am a former student of Kiefer School, and I have kept the truth in the dark long enough! Not only does this place use extremely unorthodox methods and pass them off as Behaviorial Modification, but they completely shelter you and rob you of any chance at a proper social life in the future. I was diagnosed with Autism at the age of 6 and sent there. I was a very, very, sensitive child who cried a lot, and had a routine that I was very comfortable with. My mother was a single parent and desperate to get me "fixed", though she would never admit it. I knew how to do the work. I was a very smart child, and played with neighborhood kids regularly. Home schooling should have been done. Placing me at this school was not only unnecessairy, but detrimental to my mental health and well-being. My mother never believed me when I told her what went on there. I always got punished for crying! They wouldn't let you use the restroom when needed, only when they SAID you could. The food was horrible. Dry, bland, and tasteless. What did Kiefer School teach me? Every action, good or bad has consequences, and how to play the system, which was how I got out by 9th grade. Not a good place!

Kiefer School 2

Posted January 16, 2013
As a former student of this school I will tell the truth. The teachers at the school use unorthadox meathods. They have a paper you sing that gives the teachers permission to "restrain" the student, which is basicaly just two teachers lying on your back to keep you from moving until you calm down. It is a often painful and time consuming. They often teach students at an extreamly slow pace which is why grades often rise so much. The food is bad but it is still better than some public school. The carpets are filthy. They did teach me how to play the system which is how I got out. I had to ride a bus 5 hours a day. 2 hours 30 minutes there and 2 hours 45 minutes home. It basicaly teaches that if you do something wrong there will be punishment. It will help your child with their behaior problems, but it will practicaly ruin your childs social life and will also affect their relationship with their parents.

Kiefer School 0

Posted November 04, 2009
Keifer School is one of the best schools for children that I have ever known. My youngest son, who is 9 years old, has suffered from severe Bipolar Mixed Type, ODD, and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder since he was about 3 years old, but wasn't diagnosed until a few years ago and has had to undergo many inpatient psychiatric treatment at various medical facilities. He has an IEP, but after years of having him at 4 different grade schools, there just wasn't enough help for children like Chandler, most of the schools didn't even have a special education class for children with behavioral disorders. Since my son has started school at Kiefer, his grades and performance have improved almost 100%. The staff and classrooms are very small, but they provide so much additional one-on-one classwork times with each student, as needed. Their staff are very trained people, who have learned how to deal with and work with children with similar behavioral disorders like my son's. It is nice to know that their is a school out their to help these children struggling with these problems and they are people who do not quit on these children! It's a safe alternative school to turn to, when a child is unable to attend public or other private schools due to special behavioral disorders, and my son can still get a very good education because of Kiefer. Please vote for his school! Thank you.

Kiefer School