No rating

Peoria Academy

Private | PK-8

Living in Peoria

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $124,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $730.

Posted March 17, 2014

I am disappointed in stating that my experience at Peoria Academy was a rather dreadful endeavor. While I concur that the curricular aspects of this institution are adequate, I had witnessed and underwent the folly of the social environment. Ever since the initiation of my education at the school, I had faced numerous instances of bullying. Throughout my time in the primary grades, the severity of it was to a minor degree. However, as I progressed into the middle school, everything changed. I was degraded for my rather slim physical size, my lack of athletic ability, and even my own political views. After attempting to communicate with the teachers and staff, I was promised that my struggles would be halted before their severity increased. However, no alteration in the behavior of said bullies occurred, and I remained in such a pattern of being bullied and addressing the issues for the rest of my presence in the school. Since then, I have moved out of the state, and in all honesty, I am pleased to be gone. If you wish to send your children here, you may take your chances. However, be prepared to face possible social struggles as I did at Peoria Academy.

Posted January 12, 2014

Peoria Academy is a great school, the best in the Peoria area. There are a lot of negative reviews on this site, that must be taking with a grain of salt. As with any review site, letting people leave as many reviews as they would like without identifying themselves, one person can try to manipulate the reviews. Nearly, if not all, negative reviews written in 2013 were written by one student, and if you read them closely you can tell it is an immature teenager. The school went under new leadership in 2012 and is much more stable with a great group of teachers that work well together. The school went out and found some nationally recognized programs to help supplement its already advanced curriculum. They have Singapore math, Lab Learner, PLTW, Lexia, Math Buddies and a few others I can not recall. The tuition is reasonable, and one if the only problems I see us that the school tries to be like a school that charges 20,000+ while Peoria Academy's tuition is less than half that. That would be my only complaint is that to many parent expect the school to rival an elite east coast school, but do not want to spend any money.

Posted November 12, 2013

Hi everyone! This is my first year at Peoria Academy (as an 8th grader) and I LOVE PA! It is the best thing in my life. You can't beat the curriculum (tends to be 2 to 3 grades above normal public schools) and the social life there is GREAT! I would like to ask people to ignore the reviews on October 23rd and September 7th- they were all made by a friend that was supposedly bullied, but no one else has ever seemed to feel that way. Ask almost every PA student, and they'll say "I love it here!" It's an Eco-school which makes it better for asthmatics, and it's filled with natural sunlight. An advanced curriculum, amazing teachers, and a culturally diverse community is the thriving environment of Peoria academy. If you aren't financially able to send your kids, they offer almost full scholarships- no special qualities needed. If at all possible, SEND YOUR KIDS TO PA! It will Be the BEST decision you ever make. Come and visit!

Posted October 29, 2013

Our son entered PA in 3rd grade after falling behind in a former private school. We were worried about whether he could keep pace, let alone excel in an accelerated academic environment. He is now in 6th grade and reading at 10th grade levels and testing in 8th grade for Mathematics. He boasts about his friends, teachers and experiences at Peoria Academy. We could not be more pleased. This school is more than we could have ever hoped for in academics, extra-curricular activities and cultural diversity. We love it.

Posted August 26, 2013

We have been going to this school for three years and our child is flourishing!

Posted August 18, 2013

We have been very pleased with our experiences at PA over the past years. We are particularly impressed by the principal and his thoughtful approach to creating an active learning environment. We are equally impressed by the supportive community of families and teachers. Our children have done very well and absolutely love going to school. Others have commented on the strength of the science and math curriculum. I would add that it is lovely to walk into school and see an art studio space and to be able to visit the school veggie garden. It is nice to be in a place where education isn't viewed primarily as a series of standardized tests.

Posted July 30, 2013

With the advent of Singapore math, the new integrated science program and the focus on STEM, all in the upcoming 2013-2014 academic year, this school will continue to outpace Dunlap and Washington Gifted in providing a superior education. We have been there for five years and actively compared our friends children's experiences in other schools, including the parochials, and for us, it is the best our kids can get living in the Peoria area. The head of school is excellent, and continues to upgrade the faculty and provide ongoing training and support for them. The facility is in good shape, and the school is not trying to be everything to everybody. For the cost, an incredible bargain. Look at the alumni from here and what many of them are achieving. They are prized students at every school they matriculate to, and excel in IB and AP programs.

Posted March 26, 2013

PA is a wonderful school. My son has been at PA since 6th grade. It is wonderful because it provides a learning environment for different learning styles. The teachers truly care about the students and are willing to help the students. It is the only school I have seen where teachers stay until 5pm helping students if necessary. They are preparing students for high school and beyond by focusing not only on the basics but STEM courses also. You can"t go wrong with PA.

Posted February 21, 2013

Peoria Academy is the only school in the area excelling in the STEM courses. Their Science, Technology, Engineering and Math programs are producing students ready for an accelerated path to the corporate world. I am so impressed with their flexible grouping curriculum that allows this process to occur. Way to go Peoria Academy

Posted January 31, 2013

There is a lot of very nice and intelligent students and a lot of them are likely to succeed

Posted January 29, 2013

Oh come on, no ones perfect. About that lunch room incident: that is the first time anything of the sort has ever happened. Some children during the "detention" actually admitted how that was better than going out in the cold weather on the black top. I bet that if you go to a Dunlap school (which I've been to), this would happen much more often. I mean no disrespect: there was a bullying issue at Peoria Academy during the end of 2010 and the beginning of 2011, but the school filtered through the bullies. Peoria Academy offers a near perfect education, and is a parent-involved environment that kids and parents alike enjoy. I believe that Peoria Academy is one of the best, if not the best school in IL.

Posted July 17, 2012

The interim principal is making some very needed changes that have gotten the school back on the right track. The teachers have always been very dedicated and caring, and I am sure that will continue. I attended this school from Kindergarten thru 8th grade. My 8th grade year was rough due to the principal in charge, but I loved the educational experience and all of the teachers.

Posted May 15, 2012

Small classes and involved parent community. Adequate education. Interim principal is making some very positive and progressive changes.

Posted January 21, 2012

Great school! Our children started in Pre-K and are now almost done and excel in every level. Great caring teachers, involved parents and a great administrative staff make Peoria Academy the best choice for education in the Peoria Area. As a parent, I highly recommend that if you are school hunting, go and visit Peoria Academy and you will be delighted. The moment you step in you feel the difference, and we are a tough group of demanding parents always involved in the education of our children. This makes Peoria Academy a great school.

Posted January 18, 2012

My sons have been going to Peoria Academy since my oldest started kindergarten in 2004. It is a wonderful school with excellent teachers who make learning fun. It is small enough to allow teachers to meet the needs of each individual student. The teachers are wonderful, nurturing people who accept each child for who they are. I have read several poor ratings that were recently posted on this site about Peoria Academy. I will admit that the school went through a rough patch that lasted about a year, but in my opinion, things are back to normal, and I have fallen in love with the school all over again. There are endless opportunities for parents to get involved at the school, and the more parents get involved, the more the school feels like home. I highly recommend Peoria Academy to anyone looking for a school with a friendly, caring staff and challenging academic programs.

Posted November 13, 2011

We love PA! We have been here for several years and are very pleased with the high quality of education. Our child receives a alot of individual attention and was reading in Kindergarten. We looked at 4 schools and chose this one due to the excellent academic program. The parents are involved and there is a great parent community. There have been some changes in the middle school, but they are continuing to develop. Some people don't like change. We look forward to our future at PA!!!!

Posted October 7, 2011

This is going to sound trite, but it is the truth: my daughter was very unhappy at the public school she was at. Ever since she has been at the PA, she loves school. She is learning a lot, the teachers are great, and the Headmaster greets every single student at the front door every morning. I've never seen that before.

Posted September 25, 2011

Great school. Highly recommended, and not very expensive at all (compared to other Independent schools that charge well over 10K, this one is just under 7K).

Posted August 22, 2011

My daughter attended the school for 2 years. We had the pleasure of meeting the original Head of School. She was amazing. She retired and the new head of school came in to "fix" everything. In the process, he had 11 total staff members leave the school for other jobs. The teacher quality until the new changes was amazing. The 2010-2011 school year saw many changes, teachers not sure what direction they were supposed to go with everything. Communication from the Head of School was poor. Emails to all parents with grammatical errors, changes emailed to parents the day they went into effect, or no communication at all. My daughter complained the Head of School took all field trips away to "save money" yet, he hired extra help because he couldn't do his job. The focus and priorities of the school have changed. Now the school is focused on creating a college prep high school to accomodate the executive board(those with money) and don't want to send their child to a public high school. This once proud school has forced me to send my child to a public school for a better education. Go to Dunlap, Washington, Morton, or Germantown for your education needs!

Posted July 25, 2011

I have had the displeasure of attending Peoria Academy for 4 years, and every year, I hated it. My parents were unaware of my displeasure, because I never told them. Anyways, at Peoria Academy, I did not learn a single thing. In second grade, the staff was teaching us the alphabet, while I was already reading chapter books! The teachers were nice, but they had no experience, and I learned nothing new! Also, my parents stayed away from the community set there; the parents (and students) were all stuck up and snobbish, and, quite frankly, rude. Additionally, I spent more time at that school doing nonsense and playing on the computers there than I learned!! Please, many of my friends decided to switch from Peoria Academy to a public school- don't make the mistake of sending your child to PA and wasting hundreds of dollars of hard earned money. I switched from PA to a public school, Charter Oak, and I loved it! I learned so much more there, and the teachers had years of experience, and there was a balance between very intelligent students and average students. I felt welcome, which is why public schools beat PA anytime!!

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 15% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NAIS

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2711 West Willow Knolls Drive