No rating

Cambridge Lake Charter School

Charter | K-8

Posted July 27, 2014

Walk away. The problem is at the top Larry, until he is replaced you will continue to have a high turnover in teachers. This school was the biggest mistake I made. The teachers themselves have told me he fixed the numbers to try to show improvement.

Posted July 17, 2014

Wow have you met new principal Dr. Hussain she is amazing and returns emails, phone calls, and schedules parent conferences in a minutes notice. I informed her in an email of my child's health concern and before the end of the day she had scheduled a meeting with myself, my child, the nurse and herself! Now that is someone who is in touch with the community!! My family feels valued.

Posted June 29, 2014

CLLC is amazing. My son attended the preschool program for 2 years and just completed kindergarten. I don't know what these other parents are talking about in terms of communication- my son's teachers have ALL been very responsive to emails, and send email updates daily or weekly. In K my son did much more advanced material than my niece, who was in 2nd grade in the reputable district 301. His desire to learn reflect that teachers are teaching him the RIGHT way (not teaching TO THE TESTS) and his test results demonstrate that he is getting all of the information most other kids his age get in school. My biggest complaint is that the kids don't come home with textbooks, so it was more difficult to monitor what my child was learning about in school. This isn't as big of a deal in Kindergarten, but as children get older it's important to me that we are able to monitor his learning for any bias. However, I don't know how the older classrooms handle textbooks, etc. The only way I will ever leave CLLC is if, for some reason, we move out of state. Otherwise, I am staying right here so my younger children can attend this school.

Posted February 25, 2014

This is our first year @ Cambridge Lakes. My daughter is in all day kindergarten. I have to say we are very happy w/the schools curriculum. She is taking Spanish, Tech, Art, and has gym 2 days a week. There are only 15 students in her class w/a max of 18 students in a class room. Her teacher is wonderful. We get an update email at least once a week and if there is a special event she even send pics! The security at the school also gives me peace of mind. You need a electronic key to get into her class room! Before the school year stared she went to a 2 week readiness camp to make sure she was ready for a full day!

Posted January 19, 2014

Poor communication. I live in this community and I prefer to drive my children to the public school which is 15 minutes away. Unprofessional environment . This school is used as a babysitting facility, free full time kindergarten. My children had no locker, no desk to put supplies in, no gym to play. My daughter was falling behind in math. Most teachers don't care. They have no funds to build or hire experienced teachers. The bathrooms are dirty , the children had to clean tables in order for them to eat...the list goes on.

Posted November 6, 2013

We are 1st time parents who enrolled our daughter in the Kindergarden program and will be enrolling our 2nd child next school year. Every school has it's pluses and minuses. The pluses at CLCS far outweigh the minuses especially when you compare it to the public system. The kids are physically in school more days and for longer hours. CLCS is great if you are willing to go the extra mile with your kids. The teachers work with the parents and the kids LOVE going to school because they know mom and dad are active in their education . If you are not willing to work with your child every night on something that they are working on at school, this is not the program with you. If you have a passion for education and are looking for something "out of the box" CLCS is awesome. The curriculum is challenging, the kids learn something new everyday and subjects easily crossover into other areas of the day. The kids get gym, art, music, as well as various after school programs that enrich the curriculum being taught. I see what others are doing in other schools, and CLCS is way ahead of the game. We love CLCS and will keep supporting it as it strives to get better each year!

Posted October 24, 2013

My daughter loves the school.I love the learning process and we see how much she improved an how excited she goes to school every day. The teachers are amazing and they do their best to teach those kids.

Posted September 26, 2013

My son has been attending CLCS since K and is now in 5th grade. We are happy with the academics. But each parent has a difference perspective on situations. Communication has been excellent with the school. You can always come to the school and talk the principle or to the business office, If your kid is important a visit is rather better then an e-mail. The institution is school & business & teachers aren't union, but with public school issues & goverment background on managing schools, this not a bad thing. I rather have teachers stayed in the school becase of their performace and not becasue of unions. If it is managed as a business you want the brighter individuals to be sucessful, & your product to be superior, in this case our kids. Parents can volunteer in many ways if their schedules and time allows, and as for school not waniting to hear what parents have to say? I am not sure that is completely accurate, because everytime I see something at school that I have an opinion on, all I have to do is go in to the school and talk directly with the respective school principle or to the main business office.

Posted June 13, 2013

Please be advised this institution is both a school and a business. While the curriculum and instruction are above average, the corporate board that oversees the school is not interested in parent feedback, does not communicate with families in a timely or appropriate fashion, and there is a high rate of staff turnover.

Posted April 5, 2013

Cambridge Lakes Charter school- We joined as the virtual school. The problem I see is that the virtual students are not given the information from the school for upcoming events and tend to miss out on some opportunities, or get last day forms for money to be sent in. My child doesn't feel like they are part of the school. They can have specials with students in different grades instead of being with kids of their own grade. The response from the administrators and teachers is very slow if any reply at all. It seems they want less parent communication, I personally left several messages and finally sent an email to still get no reply at all. If they got a grade for communication it would be a D from me. While I like the virtual program, working with the pace of my child, the lack of respect in communication is enough to make me seriously doubt continuing.

Posted January 16, 2013

Yes, I have a same problem of teachers do not respond to emails! Individualized learning plans & staffs are friendly, and Pick up issue got a lot better this year!

Posted January 10, 2013

My kids attend this school, but I am thinking of taking them away from the school. My main complaint is that the teachers do not respond to emails, to any questions that you may have regarding your child.

Posted February 9, 2012

My children went here 2 yrs ago and we were very happy with the school. We had to move out of state for a year and thank goodness we are back. The teachers are very helpful and excited about teaching! The only thing that continues to be an issue is pick up but that's because some parents do not think that they have to follow the rules.

Posted January 26, 2012

i am very pleased with the kindergarten at CLCS. the kids are learning a lot and participate in music, art and computers as well. my child's teacher is very good. i like that parents are encouraged to participate in school related activities, etc

Posted December 3, 2011

My daughter loves the school but I wish parents could have more involvement as far lunch menu. I have seen a lot waste done by the kids. Parents are paying without knowing that the kids are not eating their food. Fresh fruit should be cut for little kids and they should think about the type of sweets to be serve to the kindergarten group. I see a lot parents involved in the lunch but wish we could have some inputs as far having a better menu.

Posted April 17, 2011

My child goes to Kindergarten @ CLCS. I have seen him mature so much in this one year. The teachers teach them the right attitude towards tough situations and great problem solving skills. Their Kindergarten program is so good. My child comes home with so much information that he amazes me sometimes. The best part is their individualized learning plans keeping in my that every child learns @ a different pace. The only drawback though that the school doesn't provide any transportation for the students and we live far from school. My overall experience with the school is excellent. Keep it up CLCS!

Posted April 12, 2011

As a first time parent of Cambridge Lakes Charter School; I am glad that I decided to transfer my kids to this school. Both of my kids are learning excellent information, including the opportunity to explore different culture and language. In addition, the teachers focus each student and their unique learning curves; this is definitely appreciated, to support 'no student left behind'. I support the growth and continued success of Cambridge Lakes Charter School!

Posted March 21, 2011

My son is nearing the end of his first year at Cambridge Lakes and I can not be happier with the education he has received this year. He has had a wonderful male kindergarten teacher that seems to have the patience of a saint! My child went in to kindergarten not knowing how to read but is coming out reading chapter books far beyond his years. I love the fact that the children receive individualized instruction based on their skill level and that they are learning material that I know for a fact, the other local schools are not teaching until 1st or 2nd grade. Yet, the atmosphere is not high pressure or elitest at all. For my son, this year has been a wonderful experience that has resulted in a very positive attitude towards school and learning in general. As a parent, I couldn't ask for more at this point. (Yes, the pick up and drop off situation is a mess, however, a small price to pay for a great education)

Posted February 16, 2011

This school of choice has provided my three children with an excellent, individualized education, at an advanced level. We have been a Charter School family since it opened, and have watched it blossom towards its phenomenal mission. From the preschool through the middle school, I have watched students excel in this unique environment. As an active parent volunteer, I have had the opportunity to see the inner workings of the school, and am confident that my children's needs are addressed and met by a loving and dedicated staff. My children, far from slackers, are all performing at well above grade level. Those parents who take the time to be a part of the school community arequalified to dispell the rumors of disorganization, talent, leadership, and educational quality.

Posted January 11, 2011

My kids are going to this school from 2007. The teacher are very good and experienced. Only big problem is droping and picking up the kids. The valunteers are not firendly.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 4 and 7 in science. The ISAT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

In 2013 the Illinois State Board of Education raised the performance expectations for the ISAT in reading and math. These expectations have been adjusted to better align with the Common Core State Standards, a multi-state initiative that established year-by-year guidelines outlining the grade-specific skills and content students need to stay on the path to college and career readiness. The higher expectations of the new standards will result in a downward shift of where students rank in meeting or exceeding standards.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

All Students61%

Low income67%
Non-low income73%
Students without disabilities76%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students67%

Low incomen/a
Non-low income79%
Students without disabilities71%

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 19% 4%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 50%N/A49%
Male 50%N/A51%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

900 Wester Boulevard