Plainfield, IL

Wesmere Elementary School 2

Posted July 18, 2014
I agree with the parent of May 12 below. My family wasn't pleased with this school, either. We've had children here several years, and we've seen a decline since the first principal left a few years ago. The new principal isn't personable at all. I've said a cheerful ''good morning''' to her several times, and I barely get a ''hello'' back in a friendly voice. The teachers are 'meh.' I don't agree that they're 'only there for a paycheck,' but they are overworked and severely underpaid. Plus, with this new Common Core garbage, I'm sure they're working even more and more. Yes, this school for sure could use some improvement. maybe the district should just come in and clean house - transfer teachers here and there. Give everyone a fresh start.

Wesmere Elementary School 4

Posted July 17, 2014
I think it all has to do with the kids. If they want to learn, they will! Love the school and the teachers. There are a couple things that could use some improvement, but overall....GREAT!

Wesmere Elementary School 1

Posted May 12, 2014
Let me just start by saying this-if we weren't so underwater on our home and could afford to move to a better district, WE WOULD. I see people in the Wesmere/Wedgewood communities moving in w/kids and I want to tell them RUN!! It's a sad thing when the teachers even talk negatively about the principal (low morale). Also, if you have a child with learning disabilities, this is NOT the school for you. The spec-ed services are a huge let-down. There is NO going 'above and beyond' for your child at this school. My daughter is in 5th grade and we cannot WAIT for her to leave this school. It's been a battle trying to get her the services she needs and keeping on the teachers to abide by her IEP is ridiculous. I've written to the District (the super and head of special ed) on several occasions - the super told me he would 'look into it,' and that's the last I heard from him. My daughter's teacher was NOT following her IEP despite many conversations about it w/the teacher, so I wrote to the special ed director of the district (I didn't even bother with the useless principal) and heard NOT a word. These people are here just for paychecks, NOT to further your child's education.

Wesmere Elementary School 4

Posted November 26, 2013
This school was very fun, but the food needs some work. It is too greasy and unhealthy. The quesadillias were literally dripping with grease. Also, some of the teachers pick favorites. To me it's okay if a teacher really likes the student, but the favorites sometimes don't have to get any punishment even if they did something detention-worthy. Overall, the school is ehh, but I had an interesting experience in my years there that really taught me important lessons.

Wesmere Elementary School 2

Posted September 16, 2011
Don't bother calling the school if you have a question or concern. Your name and number will be taken but you will not receive a follow up call. The academics at the school leave a lot to be desired. My son feels frustrated and bored in class because he is not being challenged. academically. When my husband and I have spoken to his teachers about this, we have been told that they give him "time to do things on his own." The new accelerated program is a joke due to "lack of funding". It's very sad as a parent to watch a child who was once so enthusiastic about learning become disallusioned and give up.

Wesmere Elementary School 5

Posted August 24, 2009

Wesmere Elementary School 3

Posted February 21, 2008
i have to agree with the posting from 2/16/08 the parent who has the 1st grader who is stressed and scared. i have been every involved in the school with the pto and just being there in general my son is in 2nd grade and last year was scared to death of his teacher and hated school he still has issues with year while he likes his teacher he hates being there he feels way too much pressure i dont remember school at this age being so pressured there is way to much push for the kids to learn everything now now now and the ratings and grading of schools throughout the distric is too much presure the disctric need to back off , make this time of learning fun for the kids we are setting a like or dislike in this case for learning for life here

Wesmere Elementary School 3

Posted February 16, 2008
In my honest opinion, the teachers are overstressed and I have witnessed comments and attitudes toward the kids that were unacceptable. I have heard children being told to shut up and I don't even tell my dog to shut up. What gets me is if a student were to tell another student to shut up, that student would be in trouble for saying it. Isn't that a double-standard? The screaming/yelling at children that I have observed is just appalling and makes the school look bad because the people in charge are not stepping up to stop it. My daughter is a 1st grader and has recently developed anxiety attacks because she is afraid of her teacher. This is just unreal to me. I think the teachers need to be offered stress management classes or something because this is ridiculous.

Wesmere Elementary School 1

Posted September 01, 2007
The 'foreign language lessons' are a joke. They occur after school, and the child gets about 10 lessons. Foreign languages are NOT A PART OF THE ACADEMIC CURRICULUM!!! There is a band, which your child can optionally join in the 5th grade. HOWEVER, this turns into quite a LOT of hostility among other children towards your child's participation in the band. If your child gets involved in the band, then he will be socially ostracized and labeled a 'Geek.' Buying a house in this school district was the MOST REGRETTABLE MISTAKE OF MY LIFE! There is NO ORCHESTRA!

Wesmere Elementary School 5

Posted May 28, 2007
I am sad to say that a relocation forced my family out of this school district. District 202 is great! Four out of five of my children attended over the last seven years and the entire experience has been nothing short of excellent! My family participated in many extracurricular programs such as Band, Foreign Language Lessons, Soccer, Cheerleading, Girl Scouts, and PTO all of these programs either met or exceeded our expectations. The Principals and Staff at Wesmere Elementary and Drauden Point middle school were genuinely concerned for the eduation of each of my children. We are sorry to be leaving and I know that it will not be easy to find another school district that will be comperable to Plainfield Community Consolidated school district 202.

Wesmere Elementary School
2001 Wesmere Parkway, Plainfield, IL  60586
Last modified Wesmere Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Wesmere Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top