No rating

St Mary Immaculate Parish School

Private | PK-8

Living in Plainfield

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $197,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $930.

Posted June 20, 2013

My family loves St. Mary Immaculate. My cousins kids all loved it, my nephews attend it currently with my two kids. We have had no complaints about any aspect. Sending our kids here is a struggle for us but feel it's the best thing we can do for them. I only hope I will be able to help out at the school more in the coming years.

Posted June 7, 2013

We've been very happy with this school and will be sending our second child there next year. To address the negative reviews - the fundraising is absolutely necessary due to the fact that this is not a public school. The parish drops a hefty sum of money to keep the school running in addition to the tuition collected. There's also the problem of families not paying on time or not paying at all. I feel that the level of education my child has received has been far and away better than what she would have received from the public schools in Plainfield. Just reading the reviews of those schools will tell you that. Is it easy? No. There's some work involved vs. just sending your kids to public school and never needing to interact with the school yourself. But, in my mind, it's absolutely worth it. A child's educational foundation is everything.

Posted March 12, 2013

Excellent education. Caring and dedicated teachers. Focused on children and growing them educationally, religiously and community-centric.

Posted November 3, 2012

My children have been attending SMI for a few years and they love it. I love the teachers, principal and vice principal. I like that everyone is involved in the kids education including the parents.Sometimes it may feel like alot of work but the outcome has been great. It's a team effort.

Posted July 8, 2011

Loved St. Mary Immaculate School. We only were with you two years but were very happy with the school. Our family moved to Florida thats the only reason for leaving. This school has such nice families. They welcome you with open arms. You were like family and we will miss you. The Little's

Posted March 21, 2011

I love this school as I have been at this school since kindergarden. The principal and vice principal are very nice but firm. They are the best leadership that I have seen the whole time I was here, and there has been at least five different principals/vice principals in the time that I was here. As in any school, there is a teacher or two that is not the nicest and shows a bit of favoritism. My parents do not volunteer as much as some and I feel that I am treated the same as any other student in the school. The teachers are understanding and are willing to stay after school to help us study or to go over a lesson that we do not get. The grade school teachers are the nicest teachers I have met and if I am walking through the hall they still say "Hi how are you?" It is a very family based atmosphere at this school. The math class is split into three groups based on skill so that you can work at your own pace. The only thing at this school that is not up to par is the resource program. Until my family threatened to leave did they begin to pay attention to this program.

Posted July 18, 2010

SMI is a very good environment for children. The educational standards exceed the local school districts...except at the special needs level. Children receive an excellent foundation in education and Christian values. There will always be teacher's pets at every school...it's human nature. Regarding tuition and fees...they are on par with other private schools and receive no funding per child from the state so all costs must be covered by the parents an/or parish...nothing unusual. A lot of families work very hard for free to provide numerous additional activities and experiences for the children.

Posted April 29, 2010

Decent class sizes, teachers that are truly dedicated to teaching and who love to do it!

Posted April 28, 2010

The new principal this year is very enthusiastic about the school and the children. It is a pleasure to see someone who is involved and wants to see the children succeed. The asst. principal is involved and has done a great job keeping parents up to date using green methods (website). The teachers are dedicated. The kids seem to enjoy their experience. I am pleased to see that my daughter is experiencing horizontal learning so not only is she studying what her class is but additional studies are given to her to keep her mind active. Well done! I am quite pleased about sending my child to the school!

Posted May 21, 2009

All this school cares about is the money. Everything that you don't do, you must pay for. If you don't sell all your raffel tickets, you pay! It's ridiculous. Also, since I am a student, I feel that the Junior High there is very hard and more like a competition. There are fights (not like fist fights) between friends a lot and it is kind of clique-y. Also, it doesn't offer as many extracurriculers as I would like it to.

Posted January 9, 2009

I'm an 8th grader at SMI. I've been here since kindergraden and before me both my sisters went here. I've had the best years of my life here. Yes the school has its probelms but which schools don't. I have a sense of family with my classmates and even though yes we do have an 'in' crowd but it doesn't control school. We still look out for and love each other no matter what group were in. Most teachers are great and they have prepared me for high school. yes some teachers are not excatly the best or nicest but its good to learn to deal with them before you get to high school. I have made many friendships, memories, and traditions here at SMI.I have learned about myself at SMI. I love this school and will miss it.

Posted August 20, 2008

I couldn't be happier at SMI. Having been in the Plainfield public schools I find it hard to believe anyone would complain. Many of the children in the public schools are not getting the help they are entitled to and parents have to fight for the limited help they do get. I have always felt welcomed by the teachers and other parents. My oldest is now in high school and she is excelling duen to her experience at SMI. I'm sure there is some favoritism but I found that at our other school too. There is good and bad at all schools and you have to decide what you're going to focus on. I have found much more good then bad.

Posted March 4, 2008

When we switched to SMI I new right away I woukdn't like it here. They pick favorites and you can definitely tell. It is ok I guess but I ahve seen better.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 14, 2007

We had the misfortune of having our children attend this school for three horrible years - kept hoping something would change. The disorganization is unbelievable. This was the worst experience for our family. We thank God we got out when we did.

Posted February 21, 2007

We switched to St. Mary's because we wanted the structure of a Catholic School and an atmosphere of faith. The first 2 years were great! Unfortunately, this year has been horrible. There was a change in leadership, and the new principal is more interested in sports and keeping the wealthy families, volunteers and teachers happy. There is a great lack of concern for children with additional educational needs. District 202 provides funding for these children, but since the amount was cut this year, the pricipal decided to use the funds for the children with speech issues (who are the minority). They have provided their own Resource Teacher, but there are up to 10 children in her class at one time. Our daughter no longer gets the help she needs. Again, favoritism is high in this school, and this is an area where that prevails. I miss the 'family' once enjoyed here!

Posted November 20, 2006

St. Mary's is a private/Catholic school - of course there is fundraising. We are not supported by taxes like the public schools. I love the fact that we don't have to sell wrapping paper and candy 5 times a year. Where do you think the funding/money comes from?? The more you put into the school and the functions the more you get out of it. Of course the parents that are here helping all the time are close - they depend on each other. I wouldn't have my children in any other school.

Posted September 14, 2006

What a big mistake for us to enroll our children at St. Mary's. They have a mandatory volunteer program for all parents and if you're not able to meet the required volunteer time, you have to pay cash to the school. Their fund raisers are also cut throat, all students are required to participate in these fund raisers, otherwise, parents get charged. I don't think their academic standards are better than other schools in the area. The preferential treatment of children who's parents are teachers or with the 'in' group is staggering.

Posted May 5, 2006

St. Mary Immaculate is an amazing school. I have attended this school for only a little over a year, and it has become my favorite place in the world. The small atmosphere and intimate envorment is great. The teachers are all wonderful people, who really care for us. We lack a little in extracurricular activies, but this is because of such a small school. With a small school comes a sense of family. At St. Marys we grow together, almost becoming a family outside of home. I dont think this review could even express the school, and how great it really is.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 3, 2005

St. Mary Immaculate is a nice school. The problems this school has relates to the principal and vice-principal. The lack of leadership and continuity here is high. Favoritism is high here as well especially for the children of the teachers. They get preferential treatment by administration.

Posted April 4, 2005

We have 3 children that are in the grade school as well as the junior high at SMI. They have been at this school since kindergarten and we have been very pleased with the overall education of our children. The curriculum taught at SMI is fuller and more challenging than any of the other schools in the area. Many activities are project based which encourages students to broaden their knowledge of a given content area. For the most part, the teachers are caring and very concernded with the progress of each and every student. To them, teaching is not simply a job but a career choice. Respect of self and others is highly stressed and reinforced by all members of the staff. Extra-curricular activities such as athletics, band, battle of the books and chess are available to accomadate a wide variety of interests; again, to encourage participation and involvement of all.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• John Garvey
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Joliet