Rockford, IL

Posted December 05, 2014
My son has attended this school since he was four years old. I have been very pleased over the past years. It is an exceptional public Montessori school: the teachers are using the Montessori materials, three age groups are in the classroom, it is child-centered and friendly. I have been very thankful for the teachers and support staff, even the lunch ladies are extremely caring. Administration respects the parents and handles problems efficiently and effectively.

Montessori Elementary School 1

Posted May 09, 2014
This school is beneficial for some children and families but it's definitely not for everyone. We had a negative experience, unfortunately as we had heard many positive things about it. The program has grown over the last few years and although it tries hard to follow the Montessori philosophy it is not able to fully embrace it. There are lots of discipline issues that I felt were not handled appropriately with some teachers using punitive and harmful methods meant to motivate students. The idea 'do no harm' was certainly not in place in some classrooms at this school. The multi-grade classrooms are a good idea in theory however it is difficult for some of the teachers to maintain a positive classroom environment managing 20 children (20 students to 1 teacher) working at many different academic levels. Some teachers seemed to struggle in managing their classes which resulted in disrespect, bullying, and a chaotic environment. At times children were left unsupervised by a grown-up (3rd graders supervising younger children in the bathroom) which I found extremely unacceptable. On a positive note, the Principal is kind and accessible and some teachers are competent and engaging.

Montessori Elementary School 0

Posted July 30, 2007
i think this school is excellent and the teachers and the principal are wonderful

Posted July 05, 2006
Montessori is amazing. Never have I felt so welcome to become involved in my children's learning processes. I don't regret my decision to place them at Montessori. I also found it impressive that the principal knows each individual by name. She is wonderful!

Posted March 21, 2006
There is no other equivilant school in district 205 that can compete with the Montessori Magnet School (academically, life/social skills, art and music, and recognizing the individual child). I cannot praise this program enough.

Posted April 15, 2005
My daughter LOVES to go to school! Her teacher is caring and her classmates are curteous and use manners! When we visited the school at an open house I thought I was in another world-Pre-K and K were in the room working together and not fighting for the same project, speaking and not yelling, walking and not running, learning and not there because they had to be! This is the BEST school as it allows you and your child to build a relationship with the teacher (your child will only have 3 teachers the entire time he/she is there, instead of 7 like all the others) and it is one of the only public schools that has a structured Pre-K program. We are honored to have been chosen to participate in such a wonderful program and recommend it Montessori Magnet to all our friends and family!

Posted March 19, 2005
This school is the best Rockfrord Public school! I have had students enrolled at this school for 12 years and this has been a very wonderful school. The teachers are very caring and really get to know the students and family. Education and everyday life is taught at its highest. They are all taught to love everyone and that it takes everyone to make up a community like the community they have at this school. The pricipal is very good. All of the teachers and parents are very happy with what she has accomplished at this school.

Montessori Elementary School
4704 North Rockton Avenue, Rockford, IL  61103
Last modified Montessori Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Montessori Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top