Bad
Good

I was so displeased with this school. My daughter attended for 1st and 2nd grade. I didn't have many issues the first year, but the second year was a disaster. The school did not communicate issues with my child with me at all! My daughter had behavioral issues due to issues she was going through at the time and rather than working with me to correct them, the school would punish her and not tell me a word and then put notes on her report card about how I needed to discipline her. How could I when I had no idea a problem existed? They had her visit a school psychiatrist without my knowledge and only contacted me when things she said appeared "questionable". I requested that ANY time her behavior was an issue, to call me IMMEDIATELY so I could work with them and make sure she was dealt with at home. The ONLY time they called me was when they decided to suspend her and when they did so they lectured me as if I was a terrible and careless parent. Hello! I had no idea she was doing anything wrong at school because THEY NEVER CALLED ME!!!

I wish they had after school activities and parents would get more involed because it is their children. I beleive academics are good but it takes teachers who do a very good job and parents who need to get more involved with what their children are doing in the classroom and bringing home.

Last modified John Nelson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.