No rating

Keith Country Day School

Private | PK-12 | 291 students

Living in Rockford

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $93,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $790.

Posted August 13, 2014

This is the worst school one could send their child to. The teachers are not qualified nor are they good teachers at all. The teachers often have favorites and treat their students accordingly. The administration is horrible at decision making and so is the headmaster. Also, volleyball players and theater kids often get better treatment than the rest of the students, and one will notice this if they walk into the gym or the commons. This school is not worth the amount of money it charges to attend the school, and I see myself as a credible source seeing that I've attended the school for many years.

Posted May 28, 2014

I have been going to Keith since kindergarten. I am a freshman now. I love the school now the same way I did when I was in lower school. I have never met a situation where it was not dealt with properly by the faculty there. The classes and curriculum are excellent. One of the things I admire most about the school is you make a personal connection with the teachers, and your not just a number. Another thing I noticed is that all the grades socialize with each other witch I don't think you get often at other schools. I feel like the people that write bad reviews are the ones that have been there a while, and are just getting bored with it so they are trying to come up an excuse to be mad. I would agree that the one department that needs help is Spanish. If people are leaving Keith for social reasons what I have noticed is you may have more "friends" at other schools but you wont make a connection with them like you would at Keith. So you would have a smaller amount of really close die hard friends versus a large amount of people you just hang out with. I'm not saying you wont make relationships with people at other schools you can but not like the ones you would have at Keith.

Posted May 1, 2014

My child has attended Keith for years. The weakness in leadership at the school has been evident from the beginning. The principals of the school seem to do little to ensure that teachers are fulfilling their responsibilities. So, if your child's teacher is doing everything s/he should - you are lucky. If your child's teacher is not doing everything they should, then tough luck. For most of the elementary grades, we got lucky. Our child was in small classes (10-13 students) and we got the strong teachers for the early grades. In late elementary, the education was absolutely ordinary, but our child was in a nice, safe community and we valued that. But, our view of Keith has changed RADICALLY during the middle school years. It took time to pick up on this, but we realized that the culture in the upper school is extremely permissive. Discipline is almost non-existent. Exmaple: students (and teachers!!) spend a lot of time playing video games during the day because even though the internet does not allow access, they download them at home to their computer. Some teachers are good, but those who are not are not forced to do their jobs. Keith is squandering their reputation.

Posted January 11, 2014

Keith is one of the greatest places you can attend for the academics. But the social life is terrible, there are no secrets before you know it the entire middle and high school knows your secret. Really the only way i began to make friends was by joining volleyball. Keith is one of the most un fair schools I could imagine if you have a parent committed to the school you could literally sell drugs right in front of the head of school and she would act like she didn't see it. Drugs have also become a problem in some social groups at keith but it is not terrible and not everyone does it. The students can be awful to each other. But the academics are amazing in some categories and lacking in other the french and spanish departments are struggling. All of the other classes are amazing especially the latin and greek departments. I am currently in 8th grade and looking to go to boylan for high school for a better social experience but am very afraid of leaving this little school that i have grown up inside of

Posted August 27, 2013

I have been a Keith parent throughout Lower School and this will be our last year. When our family first came to Keith we loved it, but since Kindergarten, the school has changed leadership four times. Many of the best teachers have left in the last year and the Head of School is difficult to work with. Some families like her but most of the parents we know believe she's a phony. The teachers have been both good and bad. We love the environment but mostly that has to do with the kids and families involved, not the school. Our biggest issue is the curriculum is no different than most elementary schools so we find ourselves asking the same question every year -- is it worth it?

Posted April 3, 2013

Keith School seems to be struggling, in many ways. I have been a parent there for many years. I thought the school went well beyond what other schools offer. I now realize that the only real difference is the small class size, in comparison to public schools. There are many dedicated educators at Keith. There are also teachers there who are not accomplished in the classes they teach. These are the teachers who are bringing the school down. Parental involvement is great! Many stay at home Moms are the driving force, and the influence. I believe many of the fund raising events are dwindling. There will always be the affluent who will pick up the slack. The "higher ups" need to begin listening to the parents about problems that have occurred. Ignoring them does not make them go away! And parents do not forget! Our children are our future! We are looking for the best education we can find for our children. It now appears that money cannot buy the best, as some may think! And we, as parents, are realizing we have not been getting our money's worth! Could be why enrollment is now suffering!

Posted March 15, 2013

We have two children at Keith school. We have been there for years. We have been very happy. Last year was a little shakey with all the staff changes but they have been changes for the better. Sometimes changes are needed in order to grow an improve. It was sad to see the old head go but the new head of school has accomplished so many great things in a short period of time. I know there are more great plans for the school in the near future. We love it because the children feel safe and at home there. The academics are great, especially when you get into the middle and upper schools. You are encouraged to try so many things: sports, drama, chorus, band, orchestra, Latin, Spanish, scholastic bowl. In middle and upper therea student can have as many as 11 subjects. that is my childfavorite part of school is being able to have every day be different with the 6 day rotsting schedul. There are many clubs to join. The teachers are always available to help the students. The parents are a supportive community. I know that our children will truly be prepared for college and life when they graduated from Keith.

Posted March 2, 2012

This school has gone downhill very fast. In this past year they have hired two bad teachers, and fired one of the best heads of school in recent memory. The Board of Trustees runs this school and they run it poorly. They do not manage money well and the make bad decisions. If you asked me a year ago this school would have gotten 5 stars instead of 3. The soccer and volleyball programs are the only good athletics. The parents think this school is so great but it does not live up to the hype. They have a weak Spanish, and English department. The only positive thing going for this school is their history department, and the math department. The school is nearly bankrupt and I guarantee that in 5-7 years this school won't exist. I'm telling you the truth and I am not writing this out of anger because I have been bullied or had a bad experience. I've been at this school for 5 years and now I'm in high school. Some of the things that have happened made me question this school integrity.

Posted November 17, 2011

Keith continues to be an outstanding school and a gem in the community. In addition to providing excellent academics, the school teaches lessons in character, leadership, and service to others. I have been extremely happy with my children's experiences at Keith. We are not a wealthy family, but the school helps us by providing financial help. If you value excellent education in a safe, caring environment where teachers are truly dedicated, look into Keith Country Day School!

Posted September 12, 2011

I have been going to this school for my whole life and I love it. I am still going to keith and its my 1st year in 6th grade and its wonderful in middle school! Not one person at our school is rude or mean.

Posted June 22, 2011

We have four children who have attended schools all over the country. The only school that met the needs of all our children (gifted & special needs) was Keith. Our children really misses the dedication of the teachers & the great college preparation they received while at Keith. If you want a great college prep school education for your children and live within commuting distance of this school-send them to Keith. We were sad to leave this great school to move out of state.

Posted June 17, 2011

The time and attention of the faculty and the concern and interest of the parents make me feel very confidant in our choice for our young son.

Posted March 12, 2011

I went to Keith from 1st-8th grade and thought it was excellent. I went to Boylan Catholic High School for high school because I wanted more of a social life than Keith offered, however I tend to regret that decision now. Keith gets a bad reputation from a lot of people in Rockford and the area, but the education is phenomenal. And the prep for college is by far the best in the city. They will prepare you for a good college, and more importantly, make sure you get into one. If I still lived in Rockford I would certainly send me kids here.

Posted September 30, 2010

Keith Is above average due to the excellent curriculum that they offer. Each student has classes formed around their abilities to accommodate their performance. But the students are cruel to each other, psychologically they treat each other terribly and in realistic terms the bullying here is more severe then any other school I have attended. Do not send you boy or girl here is they are prone to have any problems, like ADD, ADHD, Tourettes, etc. They will be crucified, and the staff does nothing about it. Sad truth, Keith is terrible. and their athletics program is terrible, they have at the most 4 or 5 sports to do, all way underfunded. Just do not send your kid here unless they are VERY sociable.

Posted November 5, 2009

Athletics. You you kidding? In 2006 the volleyball team and cross country team won conference titles, with the volleyball team winning the regional. In 2007 the cross country and golf team won the conference and the volleyball team took second in the state while winning a regional and sectional title. In 2008 the cross country and golf teams repeated. In 2009 the girls tennis team won the sectionals and the boys soccer team took third in the state winning a conference, regional and sectional title along the way. There is a not another small school in the state with the athletic success that Keith has had in the past years. The coaching staff consists of several former professional athletes and division 1 players. The academics continues to be at the highest level. Several of the recent grads have gone on to compete in college. Do your homework before writing your review.

Posted June 6, 2009

I am in high school at Keith and i think you all diserve the truth. many things are not enforeced as many of the other reviews have stated. the few people that see keith as the only thing that could compare to the hand of God himself are boastful because of a personal experience. as a whole i have seen very few people that can say 100% or even 50% that they believe it is the best school. parents are raving about this school constantly, but the truth is... they do not attend the school. it may have been the best when they attended, but in its present state, it does not even have air conditioning. its closely delapidated state makes it one of my least favorite places to be for 8 hours a day. The family atmosphere is the only thing i can approve here as great at keith.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 28, 2009

Keith School is a fantastic college prep school. The teachers are excellent and the small class size contributes to a close-knit student body. With few exceptions, the students are self motivated and very responsible, allowing leniency in policy. It is generally accepted in the community that, academically, this is by far the best school around. If you are looking for a sports school - don't come here. Sports can be enjoyed by all here but this is not the driving force for these mostly academic students.

Posted February 7, 2009

i am a student attending keith right now. i am going into high school next year and i dont know what to do. I have a FEW good friends. the reason why i say few is because the classes are sooooooo small it is impossible. i have known these same people from kindergarten. i don't really want to go to Keith next year becuase it is too small. i would like to have a real high school experience. the teachers at Keith are great. But, if you are looking for a disciplinary school, it is not one bit keith. Keith is a school where you can do anything you want and easily, easily get out of it. the athletics are very undeveloped. the spanish department is semi-acceptional. the french department is great. the music is great. drama outstanding. mathematics are very good. science is kind of poor. social studies is good.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 28, 2008

Best School there is. Keith is one of the most Prestigious schools in the USA and if you want your child to get into a great college this is the school to go to. It prepares them for new challenges and levels of learning.

Posted October 13, 2008

I definitely recommend this school to any family. I am so pleased with the education my 2 children are getting. When my daughter started 1st grade she was one of the only kids who could not read and her teacher worked with her extra hard and got her a special reading coach to get her caught up and within 3 months she was reading at a 3rd grade level. All of the parents and faculty are extremely kind and genuinely care about your child. The teachers do an excellent job of keeping you informed of your childs behavior and academics. I have never had any problems with any teacher and nor has my children. Also there is a great deal of ethnic diversity if you are thinking your child might not fit in.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 17% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NAIS

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1 Jacoby Place