Shiloh, IL

Posted July 17, 2014
My son loved his teachers here and learned so much. I dealt with administration a couple times over the years and they were a pleasure. I wish we still lived in the area!

Posted January 23, 2014
My child only attended the grade school for less than half the year in 4th grade, but as a 5th grader continues to get bussed to the grade school for afterschool latchkey services. My complaint is not so much with the grade school itself as it is with the afterschool program. The teachers seem like they don't really enjoy being around the children. There is a lot of yelling and a lot of time outs, for the group as a whole, not just on an individual basis. The program director does not keep track of payments, unless she notices you are behind. Then your child will be made to sit out and all the other kids know your child is sitting out due to late payment. The teacher will question the children regarding payment, as if they know what is going on with payments. I even received an E-mail from the program director questioning me as to "what my thoughts were behind these checks I sent?" The principal however is very nice and does try to intervene to resolve issues.

Posted November 06, 2013
We relocated from out of state and my children transitioned perfectly. One of the reasons that we selected Shiloh Elementary is it's location relative to Scott AFB. We are not a military family but felt a school who is well versed with students coming and going would be a plus. At the start of the school year Shiloh Elementary held an orientation specifically for new families to the area. We found the orientation to be welcoming, beneficial and informative. The level of attention from the staff to ensure a smooth transition is evident and it shows in our children's performance. The staff is professional, friendly, well qualified and pay close attention to the safety and security of our children. We are very pleased with the school and highly recommend it.

Posted May 22, 2013
The teachers were great. The principal was good. The problem with the school were some of the rules that keep getting stricter. They have a very, very strict no touch policy. Both of my kids were in the office as a result. We are military. We have been in 6 different schools in 8 years. Not once had any of my kids ever been in the office before! They have the strictest volunteer policies I have seen out of any school we have attended. My kids did love the school and miss it. I could see where new kids might have a tough time fitting in since it is a small town school and most of those kids have gone to school together their whole lives. Over all we were satisfied but I don't know if we would go back to the same school if we moved back.

Posted March 16, 2012
We love Shiloh! The school has a small town feel that you just don't find anymore. They celebrate holidays, say the pledge of allegiance, and encourage parents to get involved as much as possible. The teachers and staff are very friendly and caring. They have afterschool homework help and tutoring available for all students. There are also many extra curricular activites available, as well as before/after school care for parents that work long hours. We have felt very fortunate to be in the Shiloh school system.

Posted June 17, 2009
I am rating this school a 3 mainly because the principal Mrs. Becker is a fantastic principal. Mrs. Beckers demeanor makes it very evident that she truly cares about her children. I just can't say enough good things about this principal - other than that she would make a great superintendent. Some of the other staff in District 85 could take some lessons from her. Don't get me wrong the staff at District 85 are courteous for the most part.I would recommend a few of the teachers read 'Teaching Outside the Box' by LouAnne Johnson. IMHO District 85 gets good test scores because that is what it focuses on 'the test scores'. Focus is not on the child, and some teachers use discipline to the point of distraction. Some teachers should also be advised that there is no such thing as a 'casual' remark to a student/child.

Shiloh Elementary School 0

Posted May 28, 2009
I am saddened that my son will not be attending here next year. He had Mrs. Wehrle for Kindergarten this year and she was awesome! The pricipal went above and beyond for me the last few years as did the KG teachers. I appreciate all you have done for my son and wish you all the best in the furture.

Shiloh Elementary School 1

Posted March 30, 2009
Sadly, our experience with upper grade levels at Shiloh Elementary was the worst in our entire military career! Compared to schools in states at the bottom of the national list where I had to supplement their homework to keep them up to par, those were a breeze. Here we could not get answers from teachers who were admittedly intimidated by administration and reluctant to give parents advice to help average students. We have moved around the country and still keep in touch with former teachers with whom we had excellent communication regarding our children's educational strides and needs. This is the first time we felt the lack of transparency in an effort to appear to be an excellent school. Be glad your leaving after kinder! However, the middle school is excellent! Teachers are motivated and give feedback about our children when we ask about them. Principal, you'll be missed!

Shiloh Elementary School 4

Posted April 27, 2007
Very good school. Decent class size. Young, ambitious teachers. Administration could be a little better at communicating

Shiloh Elementary School 4

Posted June 23, 2006
I agree. This school has been great for my daughter. Mrs. Manley was also her KG teacher and she was excellent. The overall curriculum is exceptional. The school is great for a small community. We went through a personal tragedy during the school year and they jumped right in to help my daughter adjust! I would definitely recommend this school to others for a great elementary experience. It's a small community and people look out for each other because many are military families. We'll be moving soon and I hope we find a school that will be comparable to Shiloh, if not better! Good luck in your choices and this is one I definitely recommend! Overall parental involvement was good. EC activities for elementary is just enough!

Shiloh Elementary School
125 Diamond Court, Shiloh, IL  62269
Last modified Shiloh Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Shiloh Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top