Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

I have a daughter who passed 5th grade and a son who is attending 3rd grade at Jane Stenson. Wonderful math and reading program.

The Director and the teachers of this school don't like to be questioned about their teaching methods, In fact, if you happened to questioned them they will hold against you and take in on your child specially if you belong to a diversify group. For example I ask what teachings methods they were using to help my grandchild just so we can follow up at home. The teacher was unable to answer and called the Director. The Director was openly stated " I don't know but I know is part of the School District program" and added "You ask to many questions". I think I had the right to know since they are receiving government funds for special needs i.e. ADHD. When I went to the School meetings the Director was present and again openly said: "I am here because you ask too many questions". My grandchild was taken out of the class to meet with a supposedly specialized "teacher" and what the method they were using was just a repetition of the same thing that was taught in class. This school is bias and revengeful. After these incidents, my grand daughter in recess was giving out her birthday invitations to her all class along with another her friends who also had invitations cards.. Immediately after, the Director went outside and took away her invitations stating to her : "You can't give your invitations during school" while she let the other student complete her task. When I ask the other moms they were not aware of this "rule" when I ask the teacher she acted surprised but went along with what I told her what the actions of the director, because it was the director. My grandchild came home crying asking why was her invitations taken away and why her friend was able to give her cards.? they could had let her give the invitations cards for this time and just call the mom to let her know about this so called "rule". Why did she acted in this way towards a child? Didn't she know how this type of discrimination affects a child, doesn't she know that this can have a negative repercussion on this child life? Does she even care? or is she too burnt out to know? therefore, I give this school a BAD REVIEW.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Very few teachers are genuine and effective. Unfortunately the ones that are effective don't last that long in this school

Amount of homework: Agree

The home consists of a piece of paper not even a book. We had to request the book for us to follow up and comprehend what was exactly requested from the student. the teacher won't even respond when you ask them to speak or work along with a tutor.

My child has gone to Jane Stenson for almost 3 years. I love it! The teachers, so far, have been great. I love the principal as well. I only have a few minor complaints but overall it's great. Curriculum that includes art, music and PE as well as small class sizes are the reason we left the city for a better school.

Amount of homework: Disagree

I believe in a strong curriculum within the school day and no homework at all. Research shows that it doesn't raise scores. We do about a half hour a night. Plus reading, ExtraMath and vocabulary

Very impressed with principal and teachers. Clearly care about student success and are very approachable.

Jane Stenson in Skokie IL, Is a good school I have three kids here and have not have a bad experience. Teachers, principal and office staff are all great. Never had a bad experience.

This is a great school. The teachers are very supportive of their students and although they are young they manage to connect, build trust and get the best out of their little learners. The principal is very responsive and teaches respect and creativity, leading by example and taking the time to connect personally with the families. Would definitely recommend this school. Could improve on extra curricular activities however.

Fine school - except for special needs. Glad it worked out for the commenter below, but my child was kicked out. Once he was better (performing normally), they wouldn't let him back in, citing that they didn't have the capacity for a special ed student. Once we got a lawyer, we had to go to transfer to another school in the district (after 6,000 in legal fees). Now he is in a gifted program in middle school. That was our experience with Jane Stenson, and their principal, who I feel was the core of the problem.

Last modified Jane Stenson School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.