Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

This school aside from a very small number of teachers is full of pretentious, shallow snobs who alienated my child and discriminated against us because we did not rank at the same stature in their social circle financially. The principle is aparhetic, fake, and will do anything he can to preserve the image of their school. I have told several parents not to send their children here, and I have met many parents who have left the school and town because they've had the exact same experience. We were not welcome in their click, but I believe we dodged a bullet getting out of there when we did.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Common core a joke,the teachers are unable to explain it to the parents,its not their fault though

Principle lacks taking matters of special needs kids,on the back burner.Left District U-46,in hopes my child would recieve services,after 100 school days,I was told after the new year,they were "still collecting data.The second year they refused to give my child an aide,said they would share an aide with my child with another student,which was a false statement. MY CHILD HAS AUTISM,they like to take away privledges for missed assignments,such as"Earned Christmas assembly,valentines party.Mr. Lentz called me a "bold face liar,when i repeatedly told him my child was getting beat up on the bus.So glad i didn't purchase a home there.Moving,asap

Our family has attended or had experience with several schools in the district and Sleepy Hollow is the best! The principle really cares for the students; he knows every child's name! The teachers have various teaching styles and a diverse background. The building is older, but well maintained. The best part, is the strong community feel! Many of the parents here are very involved in the learning, school activities, and staff. The school is small as well which provides opportunity for families to get as involved as they want to. This small community school is big on extras...art program, 4 & 5 chorus, an elaborate fun fair, holiday parties, etc. I see families from other schools in the area and recent elementary graduates at these events all the time which proves that this school has things the others just don't offer.

Not a huge fan of the principal. But the teachers...AMAZING!! First grade teachers are so so nice and very well organized. Their teaching method is great as well.

I have talked to many parents of students at this school. The principal who stepped down as of 2011 caused headaches for a lot of parents (said principal has decided to step out of school administration). When a child had an issue, nobody really sat and talked to the child about circumstances, and so children got 'labeled' by the administrators and teachers. Teachers' skills vary greatly, the best of them was a veteran teacher in the fourth grade, who actually took into consideration individual learning styles. Others were not competent, and left or were 'transferred'.

My son was enrolled for Kindergarten at Sleepy Hollow Elementary 2007-2008 year and I was extremely disappointed. The classroom size was too large for any of the students to get the appropriate attention they needed. My son always was sent home with cards stating that he was bad in class, and instead of discussing the problem with him they would put him in the corner for the remainder of the lesson. The cards would have the problem written on the back so I would be able to discuss it with him when he came home but half way through the year there was nothing written so I didn't even know what he was in trouble for. I had conferences with the teachers and thought that would help if I told them he needed more help with his phonics but they seemed to pay less attention since they figured he was a 'problem child'. The only thing I found to be a success was the Christmas recital which I greatly enjoyed. I changed my son's school for the following year and it was a complete opposite. He was sent home with notes every day stating that he was a joy to have in class and that he was a great help in the classroom. It seemed to me that Sleepy Hollow wants their students to be only one way and have no special characteristics of their own. I do not recommend this school.

I have a kindergarten who goes to shes and we love it. I wish he would be able to stay for the whole 5 years. Excellent school. but he will be going to a different school I am hoping they are as great as shes.

I have all 5 of our children through SHES,with only 2 left in that building. The others are now in middle school. The building itself is old; however, the staff in it is very fresh! The teachers go above and beyond and the leadership of the current principal is awesome. The ptc has many hard-working parents and you can be as involved as YOU want to be. The families involved there are good families with high values. Yes, there are better schools out there I'm sure, but I also know that my children have had a terrific elemeentary foundation with a phenominal staff that cares about their academic, social and personal growth.

My daughter has attended Sleepy Hollow for the past five years. She has received a great education from wonderful and caring teachers. As a university professor and an educator of teachers myself, I am very happy with the interaction and pedagogy that the SHES teachers employ. Awesome Teachers!

Last modified Sleepy Hollow Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.