Springfield, IL

Cathedral School 5

Posted February 27, 2014
My son has been attending for the past two years and I will have another starting Fall 2014. While this school is not perfect, what I enjoy is that it is small enough to be nimble and respond quickly to proposed ideas for change/improvement. In addition, the faculty and staff LOVE the children and all are respected. My child's classroom has kiddos from all social strata and the neat thing--they do not realize or even care that every one isn't the same. They are like a small family who will grow up together in a safe, loving, christ-centered environment. If you are even thinking about Cathedral, I urge you to go take a tour, reach out to a current family--do some research. It is by far the best "hidden gem" in our Catholic school system here in Springfield.

Cathedral School 0

Posted November 27, 2009
A web site like this that lets people post anonymously invites sniping comments from people with an axe to grind, as well as overly-positive comments from school promoters, so take any comments you find here, about any school, with a grain of salt, and read between the lines. As a factual matter, smoking has been banned from the school grounds for faculty and others for a long time, and anti-smoking messages are in the Cathedral curriculum. Cathedral School is continually cited by many as the most inclusive and diverse school in Springfield: right in the heart of downtown, it brings students from as far away as Petersburg, as well as the North, South, West and East sides of town. Clearly, the school is doing something very right to attract kids from every economic strata, and their test grades show it works, very well. -- A 5 generation Cathedral family.

Cathedral School 3

Posted June 10, 2009
This school is okay. My son has been attending for the past three years. I feel that the improvements the school is getting will help but the teachers and principal seem very close minded about blended families and reluculant to work with both Mom and Dad. My opinion, If yu are divorced and your child switches between two homes, look at another school. I have heard great things about Blessed Sacrament.

Cathedral School 1

Posted November 17, 2008
I love the idea of this school. I wish that it elevated a creative kind of academics that embraces all children. I wish the leaders prepared the students for what is an increasing global world. I also wish that the newsletter had more that reflected creativity or academics and not just stories about what worked when I had a child in school. The school does not seem to know how to tap into the richness that working parents can contribute. Instead it seems to focus on the traditional ways that parents can contribute as if there is a nonworking parent. The extended day care is a challenge for a parent who would like to see clubs that focus on learning, reading or language arts. There are not rules for parents or volunteers to keep habits, like smoking, off the school grounds. Why not put this in the newsletter?

Cathedral School