No rating

Sacred Heart Griffin High School

Private | 9-12

Living in Springfield

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $75,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $670.

Posted April 30, 2013

This is from a teacher with her 9 students: SHG is a fantastic school with the motto: "academic excellence in a community of faith". We have around 800 students and we love the environment SHG has created for us. Learning is always possible at such a great school as SHG. The teachers are amazing and diverse, we have smart students, and a kind administration. What makes a good school? I'll tell you. It takes kindness, compassion, love of others, and more compassion. We have all of that at SHG.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 30, 2012

As a Sacred Heart-Griffin Illumni, I can say first-hand that my SHG education was second to none. I entered college far ahead of my peers who went to the public schools. SHG not only prepared my for college, but for life. Tuition was worth every penny. If I still lived in the area, my two sons would be at SHG now. I credit a significant portion of my success to SHG.

Posted August 24, 2012

Some teachers are better than others as is the case everywhere. The leadership at the school from the principal to coaches is so revered by the student body, that using any other standard such as personal opinion would be incorrect. Excellent facilities, lunch food could be healthier. Diversity could be better but I attended a HS near Seattle where we had 2 African Americans in the entire school of about 2000 kids.

Posted February 21, 2011

Not worth the money. Despite all the "scholarships" they offer lower-income students, if you are unable to pay off your debt by graduation, they will not release your final transcripts to your college. This means that you will not be able to get financial aid for your second semester of college. Completely bogus. This isn't an academic institution; it's a money pit.

Posted January 15, 2008

This is a top ten school in Illinois of course people are going to say that they dont accept 'lower' people thats not true at all there are so many scholarships to get kids to go there. SHG will prepare all kids for college

Posted October 27, 2007

SHG does not show diversity and they are not accepting of people who are 'lower' on the income level. This school consists of many doctor's kids. It cost as much as some colleges for one year. Also When it comes to sports, they have not learned good sportsmanship. The public schools in Springfield are just fine and should not be overlooked

Posted November 5, 2006

I took my kids out of this school after one semester. There is no diversity. My kids thrived at the public schools in town and (I feel) got a greater appreciation for the differences among people.

Posted October 27, 2004

I graduated from SHG in 2002, and am so thankful for the education I received there. You don't really realize what a tremendous education you are afforded through this school until you enter the college world. After my high school classes, college has seemingly been a breeze. I am at the top of my class, and have plenty of time to participate in extra-curricular and volunteer activities, the importance of which were instilled in me through my experiences at SHG.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 15, 2003

I took my child out of public schools upon entering freshman year. This has been a financial hardship for us-but the best thing I could have done for my child. SHG has an excellent curriculum, wonderful teachers, and parents are encouraged to be involved.I truly wish I had sent my other child there....but that child graduated before our local public school fell apart.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Sr. Margaret J Grueter
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Springfield

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1200 West Washington Street