Sycamore, IL

South Prairie Elementary School 5

Posted February 04, 2014
My boys love this school. The teachers do a wonderful job with my 1st and 4th grader.

South Prairie Elementary School 1

Posted January 09, 2014
My son went there from K-5 and it KEPT GETTING WORSE. There are several good teachers although others completely ignore kids. This school is the worst in the area by my opinion. I asked him every day what he learned and he always replied "nothing". He said some teachers completely disrespected him. 80% of the kids are white and I especially don't recommend this school if your child is a different race.

South Prairie Elementary School 4

Posted May 24, 2011
We absolutely love South Prairie! All of my son's teachers have been wonderful, the principal and staff are so caring and friendly. My son has a severe heart defect and requires a watchful eye. The teachers and staff have made me so much more comfortable sending my child to school and knowing he will be well cared for. And he is learning so much! Reading chapter books in first grade.

Posted October 13, 2009
I love all the kids!! They are great!!!

Posted October 12, 2009
South Prairie has a great staff!!!!

Posted July 04, 2007
I have to say I have been more than impressed with South Prairie! My son came in reading below average in his kindergarten year and extra efforts were definetley made from his teachers. By the end fo his kindergarten year he was up to speed, with all his self confidence in tack. His first grade year he excelled in reading and math and again efforts were put into play to nuture and encourage his academic growth. The teahcer went as far as putting an entire accelerated program together for him! The entire staff has been wonderful at South Prairie, listening to all my needs and more importantly those of my son. Parent involvement is key, volunteer where ever you can and you will be amazed at the community within!

South Prairie Elementary School 3

Posted December 09, 2004
I was shocked to discover a hispanic student in the same class as my child that was being provided help from another grade school student because there were not any (or enough) spanish speaking staff to instruct him more than a few hours a week. My child has told us that a Teacher works with him once in a while, but her Teacher speaks only english. It is a total disservice to this child to be so blatantly discriminated because of his family (and language) heritage. The staff seems to think this is okay. When questioned the home room Teacher said it was fine he was learning by watching the other students. What an educational robbery! Don't consider South Prairie for your kids if they don't speak and read perfect english.

South Prairie Elementary School 3

Posted October 06, 2004
If your child starts school in Sycamore then you move out of state your chances of your child being behind academically are enormous. Administrators don't seem bothered by that fact. Teachers are nice, but don't expect enough from the students. But if you plan on living in Sycamore for your child's entire academic career then you will never know they are behind the rest of the country-until they go to college!

820 Borden Avenue, Sycamore, IL  60178
Last modified South Prairie Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Prairie Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top