Tinley Park, IL

Posted March 19, 2014
My child has attended St. George School for six years. We are very strongly pleased. The school's new principal in 2013-2014 has revitalized the "feel" of the school. The teachers, with the principal, seem to have ramped up the curriculum to be more challenging this year but also more strongly supportive of students with difficulties. My child, like several in the class, required support. The teachers and school set up that support system for the students, where their learning is reinforced and supported, but they socially are not "marked" for needing help. My child's teacher this year is experienced but clearly enjoying the engagement of the students. We are knowledgeable about great teachers and see our child benefiting from St. George's. We also are very, very pleased with the meaningful racial and ethnic diversity of the student body and the curriculum. My child, who is not white, has never experienced once instance of racism at school and has been learning substantially about African-American and Native American history for several years now. We have experienced racism elsewhere recurringly, so St. George School is a safe place.

St George School 1

Posted September 21, 2013
We too were very unhappy with the principal at this school and transferred out. It was a very disturbing experience. This school and parish has been losing many people to the beautiful St. Stephen Church and other close-by private and public school. The pastor and principal were not welcoming at all.

Posted January 30, 2011
Weather your child is a star student or one that needs a little help, this small and approachable school is worth the price of admission, The teaching staff embodies the kind of student focused attitude that only small class sizes can afford. While other schools focus on only on top shelf students St. George recognizes that each student possesses individual potential. It is a small school with a big heart.

Posted May 04, 2009

St George School 0

Posted June 25, 2008
SGS is for parents who are looking for a challenging curriculum. All of my children were reading real books upon completetion of PreK. Tuition is one of the lowest in the area. They have sports AND clubls for ALL students. PTL does a great job providing many extras that are not found in public schools. The Band program is excellent. The Extended Day program is safe and organized. Test scores exceded my expectations. Teachers show commitment, low turn over. The upper grades is lacking in Math, a new program will be in place for the 2008-2009 school year. Class size is small, this allows the teachers to spend individule attention. People who transfer usually do so for financial reasons.

St George School 0

Posted May 13, 2008
I have had children at St. George for 6 years now and it has been worth it. The teachers I have worked with , so far, have been very patient, kind and effective. The only problem I have had is with hardly anything being done to punish bullies that have been complained about over the years. IT's almost like no one wants to make waves. However, I have volunteered a lot of my time over the years, and I am serving my second term in PTL. We need more parents to step up and volunteer more often to keep this school going. It's hard on all of us, but we do it for the kids.

Posted May 05, 2008
I have 2 children at St. George School and am very happy with what they have been learning thus far. We've been at the school and actively involved for 5 years. The faculty is always approachable, the principal listens, people complain but they don't do anything about it. My kids who I would describe as average everyday kids scored unbelievabley well on all standardized tests that they have taken. Yes, I have heard that the upper level math program needs some serious help but I believe that they are working on it. A parcochial school is a place where parents need to be involved. This is not a 'private' school, this is a parish school where yes you have to practice your faith. The church underwrites the school in a big way. People need to look at all the facts. I'm happy. amen.

St George School 3

Posted April 25, 2008
The school is average. The math classes for the upper grades is sorely lacking. I just get a feeling from the principal and many teachers that they are just putting in their time until retirement. After moving to the public school, I have experienced a more Christian and caring attitude from the public school teachers, nurses, and prinicipal than from most teachers in the upper grades at St. George, who tend to rule by yelling, and giving out threats that the students know will not be administered. I had truly hoped and prayed that a Catholic school would provide a better learning environment for my children.

Posted November 20, 2007
Thumbs up to the principal. Thumbs up to the lovely office ladies. Thumbs up to the rectory staff (DG) Thumbs up to the rockin' English and Reading teachers. Thumbs up to the former athletic director PTL also does a ton for the school

Posted October 20, 2007
Great principal! Kids are friendly and well-disciplined. Small school environment with an emphasis on teaching kindness.

St George School