Vernon Hills, IL

Posted March 05, 2013
My three children attended Townline (the dual language program), My oldest was in the pilot program and while there were some deficiencies when she got to high school, she caught up quickly. She finished the Spanish and French curricula in HS, learning languages like a sponge, probably due to the excellent experience she had at Townline. By the time my second child finished the DL program, the deficiencies that my daughter had experienced were fixed. My youngest is still at Townline and all three of them have excellent accents. My daughter was able to communicate effectively with a family in Latin America who spoke no English. It was amazing how fluent she was, she sounded like a native. We are grateful to have the chance for our children to learn a second language at such a young age, the teachers have all been amazing.

Posted February 08, 2013
My son attends Dual Language (which is a separate school than Townline- but I want to respond to the below review.) It is an incredible program with dedicated teachers who go above and beyond. They provide opportunities for the kids to work at their level throughout the school day. As far as the homework issue, it sounds to me like the teachers are just complying with district policy of purposeful homework- not busy work. As for the movies, a quick reading of the newsletter will tell you how they support the curriculum. I feel privileged to be a part of this program! The teachers and staff are amazing!

Hawthorn Townline Elementary School 2

Posted July 28, 2012
My son was in the Dual Language program in Kindergarten. Both my husband (spanish speaker) and I were very displeased. Homework was given once a week. Mistakes in the Spanish assignments.Closer to the end of the year there were almost no Spanish assignments, when I asked for extra Spanigh assignments for my son to practice the teacher just said, and I quote "We send home worksheets for homework that apply to what we are teaching, so when appropriate, we will continue to send home the worksheets that review the syllables." Mind you, my son reads fluently so: syllables? Thanks for nothing. When they did tracing numbers, I asked for something more challenging (my son can add and subtract 2-digit numbers), even offered to provide math worksheets. No. We felt that the teacher just did not care. I am a teacher myself, so I understand it's hard, but if someone is asking for extra work, it's not that hard to find a worksheet. They also watched two movies: Wall-e and Finding Nemo - about 3 hours total. Nothing else to do? I also thought this way of learning a language (just by listening to other people speak) is not for everyone. The principal of the Dual Language does not care much either

Posted May 10, 2010
This is an excellent school. My son is currently in the dual language program and we are very happy with what he is learning. Very involved parents and a great principal!!

Posted August 28, 2009
We transferred into this school district and selected Townline for the teachers and friendly staff. Diversity and global cultural awareness are themes that the kids are exposed to. The curriculum offers Spanish both as an elective or dual language. The facilities are top notch and they continue to invest. The parents are involved and take great care to make their concerns heard.

Posted July 07, 2009
Townline is an excellent school. My child has been in this school for 4 years now, and I feel as though each year gets better and better. The teachers in this building are exceptionally supportive, innovative, and academically challenging. I am so glad my child attends this school. I highly recommend it!

Hawthorn Townline Elementary School 4

Posted May 25, 2009

Posted August 04, 2008

Hawthorn Townline Elementary School 0

Posted February 10, 2008
Have two children at this school, next year our third will attend. We chose this school for the dual language program. Not only has that been a terrific experience, but all of the teachers that my children have had have been terrific. I volunteer in classrooms once and week and I am always thrilled with the variety, challenge and creativity used. I wouldn't send my kids anywhere else!

Posted August 28, 2007
My daughter has been attending this school opened two years ago and it has been a supper experience for her as well as for us

Hawthorn Townline Elementary School
810 North Aspen Drive, Vernon Hills, IL  60061
Last modified Hawthorn Townline Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hawthorn Townline Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top