Wauconda, IL
Students enrolled: 1,303

Posted April 22, 2015
Most of these reviews are old and many seem to be from people who seem to feel personally put upon or are whining about some incident. As a resident if Wauconda township, I have worked with the Future Business Leaders of America club and have found the students, faculty, and community members to be exceptional! They are the largest club at the school and 8th largest chapter in the USA. This year, after participating in rigorous regional and state competitions, they are sending 20 deserving students to the National Competition. These students QUALIFIED for this honor in competition. It is a significant achievement of national importance. Quite often in high school students do not perform well. The tendency is to blame the school when the real cause is the student or the support they get from their parents. Motivated students supported by parents, teachers, and the community are what creates successful schools. These students have brought repeated honor (the club has only been in existence for about 5-6 years and they have gone to Nationals 3 or 4 times) to the school based on their knowledge, skill, drive and determination.

Posted April 22, 2015
We live in a small town with a big heart - and that transfers to our schools. It's wonderful to be in a school system where everyone knows everyone - it takes a village. Our teachers are top notch and dedicated, our school board is extremely knowledgeable both financially and educationally, our school staff welcoming and encouraging. There are many clubs, activities and sports available for many different aspects of a child's personality, and there is even a late bus to bring your child home if they are involved in after school activities. For older kids several of our schools are within walking distance of Main Street, the heart of Wauconda. My children have thrived beyond my expectations - couldn't be happier to be living in Wauconda!
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 22, 2015
Great school overall. Have had teachers and coaches reach out to us. My kids enjoy their classes and teachers and are challenged. Great AP class offerings and 12 more are being added next year. There are also a plethora of other activities besides sports to be involved in for extra curricular activities.
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 22, 2015
So many great programs are offered to students both academic and extracurricular. My child has been in the school district since kindergarten and we couldn't be happier with the quality of education received.

Wauconda High School 4

Posted April 22, 2015
I am an "All of the Above" commenter. I attended this school, my son attended this school, and I coach the High School Academic Team at this school! I value not only the education I received here (I became a teacher myself) but the character of the students and staff here. Our children are raised to believe they are part of a "First Class School" and a "First Class Community". They truly live by this credo. Right now, we have one of the largest FBLA clubs in the country, and those kids work hand in hand closely with our local Chamber members. This town in truly invested in our students and they already know how to give back!

Posted April 22, 2015
Wauconda High School has given me a unique experience that I would not find elsewhere. I plan on studying Actuarial Science and Wauconda has fostered that growth tremendously. They have a phenomenal FBLA and Math Team. These clubs have been vital to my college preparation. The beauty of Wauconda is that this is simply my story; there are hundred more just like it. All students have a club, organization, or sport that they turn to. I am truly proud to be a student at Wauconda.

Posted March 03, 2015
The teachers don't know how to explain their lessons. They expect you to understand what they say and if you ask to clear things out they give you attitude and get mad for asking again. If you fail a test the teachers don't care about it. They just give it to you and don't take an effort to ask what your struggling with. In the other hand there are a couple of teachers who do help. The deans and security staff are Very disrespectful assuming you are doing bad at all times. And the principal doesn't take action either. They yell at students for saying their opinions of what can help the school and say that we are "telling them how to do their job". Don't do anything about drug problems, bullying problems, and sexually active problems. There's so many things wrong with this school. They say they are a "good" school but inside the high school there is disrupt young adults who are going out in the real world and have no respect and think they are superior to others. I see no future in these kids because the high school doesn't take action in helping all of us out.

Posted November 23, 2014
If you have an honors student that doesn't need any help they will do fine. Everyone else better be prepared to run into conflicts with the teachers and administration. They don't like to have to do any work to help the students. I hope the state changes the union rules because half of the teachers will probably be let go. There not there to teach but just waiting for there pension and benefits.

Posted July 06, 2013
WHS has done more harm than good with my kids They were ill prepared for college, were not taught decent skills, study habits, etc. Special needs-HORRIBLE! say 1 thing, write another- if it's not in writing it didn't happen. 1 teacher in particular is ruthless and it's her way or move 'em out of her class Freshman year. Special Ed was poorly rated for implementation from a state service that came in to "help. Teach tolerance for that rather than ship them to sedol school. Not enough is done with drugs. Zero tolerance is a joke. Especially with football and cheer. They don't enforce zero tolerance with drugs or bullying. School and police work hand in hand, but not for what's best of the student usually. They just want to "look good on paper. The school NEEDS to cut out busy work, TEACH! IMPLEMENT an across the board bullying program, including assembly high school wide to address how severe it is, more drug sweeps, and improve S.E. services that are appropriate for the child and not just the ease of the school. Superintendent is Special Ed Lake County tho. . We liked the Grade School and Middle School, and the hard working staff. Parents are outsiders unless you conform.

Wauconda High School 4

Posted April 10, 2013
Most kids go to college from this school, with a handful going into the military and trades. The school is the center of the community and it's small semi-rural/semi-suburban setting has effectively insulated it from a lot of problems seen in other area schools. There is a good demographic mix and there does not seem to be economic pressure on the kids. It is socially a great, safe place for students to learn and make friends. Most teachers are excellent - a few need to go, but this is the case in every school. They have strong athletic and arts programming, and contrary to older reviews, they a new performing arts wing. Arts programs are well funded. My only complaints are that the English writing curriculum is very weak. I've taught my son to write at home as he was earning A grades for what I considered to be C papers. The deans suspend many kids when a simple "knock it off" or detention would do. They are strong in supporting kids in special ed, but mainstreamed kids with ADHD, dyslexia or other less serious learning issues are neglected - 504s and IEPs are not implemented unless parents are on their backs 24/7 about it. They lack insight into these disorders.

Wauconda High School
555 North Main Street, Wauconda, IL  60084
Last modified Wauconda High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Wauconda High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top