No rating

Wheaton Academy

Private | 9-12

Living in West Chicago

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $147,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $920.

Posted October 25, 2013

Wheaton academy portraits itself as a caring Christian school which could be farther from the truth. DO NOT repeat DO NOT send your child there if they have any hidden disabilities(ADHD, OCD, asbergers , ect). The administration will tell you that they are able to handles these disabilities but in our experience it was a lie. If your student doesn't fit into their restrictive environment the teachers wil be unable and unwilling to help. The students are quite proficient at cyber bullying and even boasted after we withdrew our child "how they had worked to get her to leave. ". Academically, when she was assessed at her new school she was behind a year educationally. As a parent of more than a couple kids our time spent at Wheaton academy was one of the painful experiences we have encountered. My daughter was "the least of these" they sorely failed.

Posted July 15, 2013

Wheaton Academy is a great school for some kids, and a good school for others. Typical for high school, there are some clique issues (though less than most schools), and some of that seems to spill over into theater and sports programs where some talented kids are overlooked at times. The worldview is conservative Christian, so if that's not your thing you won't appreciate it as much as Christians will. The kids are generally respectful to authority, so if you prefer a more dynamic environment where kids aren't afraid to tell teachers off and publicy tout their drug usage and sexuality, then Wheaton Academy may not be a good fit, although once the school day is over and kids leave campus, they're like any other kid in being able to make the choices they're going to make. Wheaton Academy won't make every kid an Ivy Leaguer, but kids with Ivy League potential can fulfill it there while kids you're hoping to just get through high school alive will get the support and discipline that could be just what they need.

Posted June 9, 2013

This was the best investment that I ever made in my children's lives! I would move here to put my kids in this school!!

Posted June 9, 2013

Sending our children to the school was worth it. Unlike the public schools in Illinois, this school actually invests in the character, civic devotion, and ethical development of the students. The teachers work after hours, one-on-one, and with the families - NOT what you experience in public schools.

Posted June 1, 2013

Where is the review I wrote? I submitted this on yesterday and did not receive an email

Posted January 29, 2013

I really don't know what some people on here are talking about. I graduated from Wheaton Academy a few years ago and absolutely loved it. The classes, extra curricular activities, students, and teachers were all wonderful. I now attend a large state university, am an honors student and have had no problem keeping up with the other students. The classes at WA made me well prepared for college. I was involved in many activities and enjoyed all of them. It is so easy to get involved in the school and meet great people. Yes. Great people. I loved all of my friends at WA and mostly all of my classmates and I would in no way classify myself as a popular girl in a clique. There are bound to be a few cliquy people in high school, but compared to other places it is really not a problem. And that brings me to the teachers. My teachers all genuinely cared about me and I still keep in touch with some of them. I cannot even describe how much my relationships with my teachers mean to me. The teachers, principal, and staff are what make WA so amazing and worth every penny. This school strengthened my faith and gave me the greatest high school experience I could ask for.

Posted January 7, 2013

A school that treats and respects its students like adults; graduated in 2009. WA prides itself on supplying the tools to help grow students educationally, mentally, and spiritually. Teachers that befriend and mentor students are the core of this environment. Academic programs include very recognized art and theater departments that provide students with opportunities to build self identity, worth, and career aspirations. Also a rapidly growing sports program pushed hard by the head of school. Students here have their friend groups like any other school but they treat each other with respect, unlike many other institutions. Only critique worth mentioning is that with the recent athletic push, a small change in the student body has been noticeable. I can't say this is good or bad, but it looks to have changed just a little bit since I left. I would not trade my education and experiences at WA for anything!

Posted November 18, 2012

Don't waste your money. This school holds itself out to be a great Christian institution, but it's filled with typical hypocrites. The students are mean and cliquey, and in such a small school there's no way to find your group if you don't fit the jocks or the teachers' kids. They have a great theater program - at least for some, but the lead roles always go to the same kids and others never even get to be in the ensemble. The academic offerings are weak; they don 't have a good computer lab. I really regret sendings daughter here - this school totally destroyed her self confidence and it's taken two years of college for her to realize what it means to be around true and honest kids. My other daughter went to a different local private (non-Christian) school and got 10 times the education and with teachers who cared about the students, not their own glory.

Posted May 15, 2012

Such a fantastic school, I graduated in 2010 and I loved my whole Wheaton Academy experience. I can still return to campus and be welcomed by my old teachers who are genuinely interested in my life after the Academy. Thanks to my 4 years of French at WA I was able to live and interact in french speaking Switzerland for 7 months. Madame is the best! I learned what I wanted to do with my life at the Academy thanks to the video production and photography classes that many schools do not offer. The teachers are challenging and care about the students learning. I got to have some truly unique experiences like learning to fence in Shakespeare class and being involved in the Spring musical every year. The theatre department is very strong and the tech crew is made up of the coolest people you'll ever meet. A few things I would change about the school are: discontinue the Winterim internship programs. I did an internship my Jr. and Sr. years and I feel like I missed out on the great classes that were offered. A 2 week internship will not help students to get jobs anywhere. Overall though I loved my experience here and I thank WA for helping me get into a prestigious University.

Posted November 20, 2011

Avoid at ALL costs. 1. Academics-The science curriculum here is terrible. There is only 1 lab, which is outdated. The teachers try to indoctrinate the students with Creationism and nothing else. While science is the worst dept., none of the other departments are strong either. My friends at nearby public schools got a MUCH better education than me. 2. Students. Once again, terrible. They have no aspirations for their lives and they are the meanest people I've ever encountered. But they're really good at pretending to be perfect little Christians when an administrator is around. It's truly disgusting. 3. Spirituality. Chapel is the worst thing you will ever experience-One of the chapel speakers spent 50 mins. describing how women are the root of all evil 4. Few extra-curricular opportunities. 5. College counseling. They try to force you to attend a small Christian college that will get you nowhere in life. I chose to attend Notre Dame and now that I'm here I can tell you that ND is what a Christian educational institution should be and WA isn't. Besides me, 1 girl went to Amherst and another to Cornell from my graduating class. Nobody else went anywhere prestigious.

Posted November 12, 2008

Wheaton Academy is an incredible school. The academics are challenging and engaging, but not overwhelming, although at times they become a burden for busy students ( those on sports teams, those in Furnace Company, etc). The teachers are for the most part very well qualified and take the time to get to know their students. It's obvious that the faculty members really care about the kids who go to WA. Some teachers use certain teaching styles (class discussions, lectures, etc) too often, but otherwise the classes are fantastic. Chapels are fairly good. A few have stood out as incredibly moving or thought-provoking, while others have been complete duds or even offensive. Overall, WA is a great school with a few minor faults.

Posted October 17, 2008

This school is amazing! The teachers care about the students on a personal and spiritual level. The administration is crafting excellence and all levels and the facilities are remarkable. Alumni support has led a revival in the school and the students care about more than themselves with AIDS awareness and other activities that raise both awareness and funds. Have sent 2 children there with another 3 to come.

Posted July 1, 2007

This is an amazing school environment for teens to develop in during their high school years. The teachers are close to the students, involved in their activities and lives. The curriculum is based around the student and how it applies to their life. The spiritual atmosphere is encouraging and supportive. This school understands high schoolers and has adapted to meet their needs.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 28, 2005

Academics are average compared with local private schools and most public schools. Terrific Christian influence and enviroment. Above Average Spiritual Life but often lacks Spiritual formation and One on One relationship development. Big Gossip problem. Weakest Academic Programs: English, Spanish, & Business/ Computers. Strongest Academic Programs: Math, Science, & Physical Education. Need for better and qualified teachers. Plenty of activities for student involvement and a healthy dialogue between activities and academics. Parents have plenty of involvment but often rulings in severe discipline may take power away from home. Life-Changing chapels and mission trips. Teachers intergrate Biblical Worldview very well. Teachers have little to no accountability. Due to wages some unqualified teachers may be hired. Poor Summer Reading List. Overall a Life-changing Institution on its way up... still weak academically in some areas but improvement in possible. The moral and character development are unbeatable and that beats out the academic problems.

Posted October 21, 2005

Wheaton Academy is an excellent school. It has high academic standards, but without a high intensity level. The school focuses on keeping a balance of life -- spiritual, academic, social, and physical. The ACT average is well above the national average of 21 (25.2 for the Class of 2005, and this is with every student -- not a select group -- taking the ACT). Students leave the academy well-equipped for college. Programs in the fine arts are especially strong, with excellent vocal and instrumental music, art, and one of the best theater programs of any high school. In addition, there are many strong sports programs, including several that have either won the state championship (girls' soccer) or have come close (boys' soccer, cross-country, golf, for example). This Christian high school is serious about the spiritual growth of its students. Cliques are rarely seen; friendships are valued. It's a fine school.

Posted June 29, 2005

Wheaton Academy has been an excellent influence on my daughter. She began her Freshman year as one of the 'troubled' kids and finished as a matured, caring young lady. The difference in her is amazing! God is at work in this school! The teachers and staff at WA care so very much about our children on both the academic and personal levels. (I saw none of this at the public school she had previously attended.) As far as extra cirricular activities? Blah! -to the person that reviewed that WA has none to speak of. Bravo! Wheaton! Keep up the good work!

Posted December 4, 2004

This school is a great school. I don't understand what the other person is really talking about but the school has to many extracurricular activities to participate in. We have sports, which cover basketball, volleyball, soccer, tennis, baseball, softball, track and field, and cross country, and we have things in the fine arts area, such as band, choir, fall play, spring musical, 'The Coffee House,' and a dance and inmprov team and we also have student led projects. There are just to many to keep up with along with our homework. Although every school does have those bad crowds of people but at WA most of the people that go there are good, nice, and kind people. But one needs to remember that Christians come in all shapes and sizes. As teenagers they try to be cool but deep down they know what counts. But honestly teachers care about us students.

Posted December 1, 2004

The quality of Wheaton Academy has gone down the drain. The students run the school and have the foulest mouths that I've ever heard from a Christian institution. Wheaton Academy cares more about the amount of money coming in than they do about the quality of those that they let into the school. Quality of this school is worse than a public high school with regard to the student body. There are very few extracurricular activities in which a student can be involved in. I am ashamed to even call it my alma mater.
—Submitted by a former student

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Jon Keith
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • ACSI

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

900 Prince Crossing Road