Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I have been a parent at this school for 5 years now and have had such great experiences here! The staff is amazing and hard-working, and you couldn't feel more at home here.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Again, highly motivated for a staff of mostly tenured teachers. Very Professional and excellent communicators...

Amount of homework: Disagree

The kid in me is answering this. I never liked homework and as an adult I can tell you that rarely is work brought home (if ever). I think maintaining the separation between work (school) and home is important.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

It's more of a district policy that develops my feelings about the development of honesty and integrity. This school in particular is furthering it by being extremely involved with parents of students. Communications between parents and staff is top notch....

Small School, student to teacher ratio about 20:1. Teachers are highly educated and students are well behaved. Extracurriculars are abundant and lots of stay at home parents who volunteer.

I went to Dundee Highlands Elementary School. When i was in this school i had some great times and i can honestly still say that this school is the best school that i have ever been to. I am now 21 but i still say this school is the best ever. Please let your children go to this wonderful school.

I have had kids at this school for the past 10 years and have been happy with all parts of the school. The previous reviewer totally blew things out of proportion and a parent survey did not support her opinion. I do have to make a comment on the student to teacher ratio reported as 15:1. Unless they are using the aides, lunch ladies and janitorial staff in their formula, I am not sure how they arrived at that number. I have seen class sizes as low as 22 kids and as high as 32 kids.

At Dundee Highlands Elementary School they have no regard for anything but test scores. They have a reward system that implements the use of CANDY and GUM to get students to LIKE teachers and to FOCUS while test taking...(these were some comments by the teachers by the way.) I'm not sure why the teachers are feeding students in the first place without parental permission! Schools are supposed to be teaching about health and nutrition, so if candy is given for rewards how is that reiniforcing good nutrition? Childhood obesity rates are climbing and they feel the need to go the easy route with candy rewards. Also, this past horrible winter there was alot of indoor recess. For a 3 week span my kid watched movies like toy story instead of playing games, doing centers, crafting or communicating with the other kids (playing). Other school districts prohibit candy and movies for recess, so why are they still in the dark about healthy habits!

This school won an Academic Excellence award. That is a wonderful attribute. I have been very happy with Dundee Highlands and with the district. There is a commitment to improve the quality at all schools, and it shows. What I like most at Highlands is that the teachers do a very good job of listening to the parent. There is an occasional teacher that should retire; however, I would say that 99% of the teaching staff is excellent. This new principal is very committed to improving the standards and quality. I like many of the changes that she has made. There is a nice selection of extracurricular activities, although I would like to see a few more added. The PTC is very involved and the school is wonderful to allow us that kind of access. We moved here from a very good district.

Due to joint custody issues with my two children's father, I had to take my, then, first grader out of a private school that he had attended, reluctantly. I enrolled him for second grade and my kindergartner at Dundee Highlands in the '07-'08 school year. To my surprise, the staff were very hands-on and very helpful and willing to take any measures in ensuring academic success for my children. Particularly my son, who has an over-active personality, although smart, his activity level hindered his learning process and the teachers and staff were helpful in working together to find a solution. I recommend this school highly, it is very family and community oriented.

Last modified Dundee Highlands Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.