Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Westchester Middle School 4

Posted October 25, 2015
wms is a good school. You can get a good education, if you try. Me coming from a very strict family that demanded straight A's I did very good in school. The teachers will challenge you only if you want it. If you don't they won't waste their time on you. I think everyone's favorite part is the trips like in 6th grade Camp Timberlee, 7th grade Springfield and 8th grade Washington D.C. Band has overnight trips for two years and one year is just a one day. And chamber and chorus and show choir also go on trips with and without the band like to Yorktown mall for charoling and the zoo. This year for chamber we went to a Chicago Wolves hockey game and sang at the beginning at our seats which were front row and on the jumbotron! Our family and friends could come and it was amazing. Also this year wms is allowing phones in class that you can use only with the teachers permission. We also have amazing dances that the student council plans that we elect at the end of the year and it is always successful. We have spirit weeks where we have things like pajama day and sports day or crazy hat or socks day. We also have twin day which is my personal favorite. You can also join sports when you're in 7th grade but anyone can join band, chorus, chamber, show choir, jazz band, intramurals, art club and yearbook. There are sports for both genders like volleyball, softball, basketball, and girls cheer and dance. For academic purposes you can be in mathletes and junior honor society which I have been in for my 3 years. I am also in volleyball, chamber, chorus, jazz band, band, cheer, mathletes and national junior honor society. Many kids are very welcoming and it will be so emotional to say goodbye in June.

Posted March 05, 2015
Teachers really care about teaching. Great communication between teachers and parents. Teachers email parents about upcoming assignments and tests. Very good kids. My daughter made the high honor roll.

Posted April 05, 2014
WMS is an outstanding school! There are no bullies and students are very friendly. Teachers here are very helpful and caring. I love the way how they treat the children here.

Posted September 13, 2013
This is the best school ever and previous comments are wrong my son is in 8th grade and his grades improved when he got to this school and also my son is so happy to wake up in the morning and go to school were the teachers are very nice but can be very harsh when needed to not only that but there are no bullies according to my son and he has a lot of friends there.

Posted June 02, 2010
Having had a very negative experience at Westchester Intermediate School, we were suprised that the Middle school isn't too bad. We had a minor racial comment by one of the teachers assuming that everyone with a Hispanic last name should know how to speak Spanish. I am concerned that the middle school format holds the kids hands a bit too much and will not prepare them for high school (verses junior high format). Also the registration fees at this district are high and the board approved another raise in the fees for this Fall. A waiver is available, but you might make too much money to qualify, even if your on unemployment. Call the district office for the chart they use. It has to do with the same guidelines they use for the free lunch program.

Posted April 19, 2010
WMS has a great administration that is progressive in thinking, teachers who truly care, and parents who support the community.

Posted November 08, 2008
I have a child that attend the school. In my opinion Westchester Middle School has some racial barriers that the administrative staff and some teachers need to hurdle over. The school does not have a diverse teaching team. The school administrative staff which would include the teachers are not culturally sensitive. The school does not have a friendly open door policy toward parents wanting to stop by for a visit. I can see why the school rate a 5 out of 10. In my opinion the principal does not set the learning standards very high.

Westchester Middle School 4

Posted August 14, 2008
I have two children who are currently attending WMS daughter enter 8th grade & a son entering the 7th grade in two weeks. Coming from CPS schools (Humboldt Park) , Bellwood Lincoln elementary school. Although registration fees are quite healthy, it's well worth it annual trips (6th Camp TimerLee 3day camping outing. 7th graders 1 day Springfield, IL. 8th graduation trip Wahington, DC for 1 week). All of that in a nut shell, WMS really speaks for itself. I've seen a huge difference in my childrens grades, study habits, involvement with school activities & much more. Teachers are very helpful, realiable and resourceful.

Posted July 10, 2008
i used to be a student at this school and it's not to good of a school. The Teachers don't focus on the students.

Posted July 03, 2008
Great school and teachers. My daughter loves this school.

1620 Norfolk Ave, Westchester, IL  60154
Last modified Westchester Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.