Bad
Good

Once you get past the football team, WWS is a garden variety mediocre suburban high school. Too much focus on sports (50/50) rather than academics (90/10). Home schooling and private schools are popular in Wheaton, so look especially at Benet Academy (Catholic) in Lisle. This school sends most of its best students to U of I rather than Northwestern or Ivies and the rest go to regional state schools, while the comment about diversity is painfully accurate. Wheaton is upper middle class, white, conservative, and Christian. They don t teach evolution in biology classes, seemingly everyone is in a Bible study, and kids pray around the flag pole every morning and before and after football games. If you fit the mold, you ll be fine. Otherwise you ll be forever chafing up against that majority culture. With an increasing percentage of both Hispanic and low income kids, this is an issue that will likely get worse. I went to a top 25 university on a partial scholarship, and in retrospect can honestly say that I did nearly all of it myself. This is textbook impersonal factory-style public education and students who truly achieve are going against the grain in this school.

I believe that it will always come down to the parents. To the extent they are involved, they show the kids that it matters what they are up to. Like any other, the school has great, mediocre and poor teachers. The social environment reflects the narcissism that attends the affluence of the district. Little conversation for "what is it like to be you?" Discouraging to be sure, but unexpected? The superintendent just left after 4 years for a pay bump, with the gall to lecture us at graduation, well past his welcome, about a book he had read about keys to success. Wasn't he feelin' it? Tone-deafness matched only by irony. If parents insist the kids take good care of their "stuff", and accomplish much, that the kids would value good grades and nice things is no great surprise. The good ones will make the effort to be nice, but few will harbor any commitment to making a difference, or to sacrificing these "things" for something greater than themselves. we will continue to produce serviceable, competent, industrious citizens, our economy well-served. And it is unlikely they will ever inquire of themselves "just how much am I willing to give up for what really matters to me"?

The 2 star review nailed it. I hated it there. Absolutely no support in furthering my musical interests. You had to already be good at something in order to get attention. Too much overemphasis on sports and competition, not enough emphasis on understanding individual needs. Fads were shoved down our throats. MAJOR bullying problems. Some of the teachers made it worthwhile, but like any high school, the only reason WWSHS gets such good ratings is because of high-ranking test scores and an unrivaled football team.

Education is decent in most areas Certainly not all. Guidance for college is very mediocre and uninformed. The issue for me is the "cliquish" atmosphere (which is so openly displayed) is not only condoned but encouraged by some administrators and teachers. Being in a smallish community if your kids and family are not "in" then your child is just a number. Haves and have nots. Previous poster noted something similar. It is really out there.

Our daughter is a sophomore and we have found many things to like at WWSHS. The English dept is great. The speech team has been a terrific experience. Her guidance counselor has been a gem. Sciences, however, have been mediocre to terrible. Social Studies have been terrible. Her experience on a sports team was negative, largely due to poor coaching. Most significantly, WWSHS is a difficult place for people who are not White, upper-middle class families. There is little awareness or understanding of diversity. If you are a person of color, you should ask a lot of questions and know what you're getting into before choosing to live in this community and attend this high school.

This has been and continues to be one of the best schools my children have attended. The teachers really seem to care and work with the students that need help. I would recommend this school to anyone. My biggest complaint about this school or any school as far as that goes is the tryouts for sports, if it is a public school all who want to participate should be allowed to partcipate sitting on the bench or not they should be part of the team and experience.

I am currently a freshman at college and immensely grateful to have graduated from W.W.S.H.S. and attended District 200 schools. I never truly understood how magnificent Chicago suburban schools are until I left for college. My friend from Naperville North and I feel adequately prepared for the coursework and higher level thinking demanded at college, much more so than the majority of students at our college who are ill prepared to handle collegial requirements. Wheaton Warrenville South High School taught me the importance of leadership positions, how to be well rounded and how to manage my time. I will be forever thankful for my W.W.S.H.S. education...Go Tigers!

I could not have asked for a better high school experience than I had at Wheaton Warrenville South. The teachers were great, the athletics were great, and the school spirit was awesome. If there was ever a problem with anything, there was always a teacher/faculty member ready to listen and help you out. I always felt safe and knew that I was in one of the best high schools in the state!! Tiger for life!!

I love going to this high school! The teachers are amazing and make learning fun! I'm only a freshman, but I already feel welcome into the school. Go tigers!

Last modified Wheaton Warrenville South High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.