No rating

St. Francis High School

Private | 9-12 | 800 students

Living in Wheaton

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $280,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,000.

Posted May 10, 2014

My daughter is just about to finish her first year at St. Francis. She loves the school and her friends. We are all very happy to be sending her there. It would be very easy and much cheaper to send her to the local public high school down the road, but SF is the right choice for her and our family. Kudos to the wonderful Fine Arts program at SF!

Posted May 6, 2014

We have had a fantastic experience at St. Francis School! My son transferred from the Wheaton Public Schools and was warmly welcomed by students, teachers, coaches and staff here at St. Francis. The environment is immensely supportive and there is a place for everyone. Extra curricular activities are many and varied with outstanding coaches and club sponsors. There is an emphasis on providing for the needy and community service is a part of the curriculum. Faith and kindness are ever present at St. Francis. Prayer is a part of every day and students attend monthly Mass with student vocalists, musicians, liturgical and eucharistic ministers. Parents are invited to attend and many do so. St. Francis Masses are quite inspirational. Parental support and volunteerism is encouraged and one of the many attributes that makes St. Francis so uniquely special. We feel privileged to be a part of this positive, welcoming St. Francis community!

Posted April 7, 2014

We have had three children attend St Francis high school. We are thrilled with the impact the school has had on each one of our children. They have all been challenged academically. They have grown in their faith. The best way we can sum up their teachers is that as a group, they care. We couldnt be happpier with the overall experience the school provided.

Posted March 8, 2014

We absolutely love St Francis High School. It offers the complete education for a student. Academics, exceptional teachers, great leadership and direction, and too many extracurricular opportunities to count, I am pretty sure that almost every student is involved in an activity. My children who have graduated from St Francis have done very well in college. True, we have great public schools in Wheaton, but I wouldn't trade the St Francis experience for anything.

Posted March 5, 2014

When my children were in 8th grade I encouraged them to shadow at all of the high schools in our area. All three of my children chose St. Francis primarily because they felt at home when they visited. The St. Francis community pushed all of my children to be their best academically, athletically and spiritually. They left St. Francis as a more well-rounded person than when they arrived with lifelong friends and mentors.

Posted March 4, 2014

My wife and I went all thru Catholic schools and wanted the same for our children. We have had two already graduate from Francis, they both had great experiences. Both were admitted to every college they applied to and ended up at their first choice. Our youngest is having the same great experience. From the staff, to the teachers, coaches and AD, we can't be more proud to say we are a Francis Family!

Posted March 3, 2014

St. Francis High School has been a wonderful experience for our entire family. We have a 2011 graduate and two still there. From the teachers to coaches to administrators, everyone at St. Francis feels like family.

Posted February 26, 2014

My daughter has thrived at SFHS. This is a well run school with lots of parent involvement and a strong community feel.

Posted February 25, 2014

Everything about St. Francis HS makes me feel fortunate to have such a place to send my kids to high school. The atmosphere is warm and friendly with the highest level of achievement as the everyday goal. The administration and teachers alike are enthusiastic and caring and pay close attention to the progress of their students. There are many ways for students to be involved in the St. Francis community with a wide array of great programs including academic clubs, sports, theater, a variety of musical groups and more. I have two children at St. Francis...one about to graduate and the other with two years to go and I am very pleased with the quality of the education they are receiving and the atmosphere in which they are learning!

Posted February 25, 2014

We have had 3 children attend SF. It has been the perfect school for each of them. We are so blessed to have been able to give the gift of a St Francis education to our kids.

Posted February 20, 2014

My son loves the school and so do I. St. Francis is a school where everyone cares about each other. The environment is safe and the teachers cars about the students.

Posted February 20, 2014

St Francis is a great college preparatory school! High achieving students are challenged with a curriculum that includes many honors and AP classes. Average students are encouraged and challenged to be their best! Awesome fine art, athletic and campus ministry programs. With the academics and the many extracurricular opportunities, this school truly offers an wonderful high school opportunity for all students.....and their parents!

Posted February 20, 2014

SFHS is the best. I graduated in 2003, and I walked away with plenty of life skills that I continue to use to this day. There is a family atmosphere created at SFHS that I have not seen in my post-high school life. i still regularly see my 15 'best friends' from high school, and i love that.

Posted February 19, 2014

I'm blown away at how well St. Francis welcomes both students and parents to the family and recognizes and appreciates their unique values and talents. My children are thriving here.

Posted February 19, 2014

At St. Francis students are challenged academically as well as extracurricular. The culture is inclusive and encourages students to get involved. If I were to sum up the culture, I would borrow the phrase: "All for one and one for all". IT's consistent with who they are and is line with the Catholic religion. At a time when a lot of Catholic institutions struggle with their Catholic identity, St. Francis H. S. excels. I believe that sets the school aside and above others

Posted February 19, 2014

Saint Francis is a college prep high School, the academic program and curriculum is fully committed to that mission. They strive to make good students; great students in a caring and academic environment that is truly a Christian community. The Saint Francis community; including all staff, administration and parent volunteer organization collectively strive to include, to understand, to support and to nurture the students. This was one of our best decisions as parents.

Posted February 19, 2014

St. Francis High School in Wheaton is the best college prep high school in the area. Bar none. High achieving students achieve as high as any other school and ALL students are college bound. My daughter is a freshman in the class of 2017 here and everything this school is doing is top notch.

Posted February 19, 2014

I have had 4 children graduate from St Francis and have another one starting there next year. I am very happy with virtually all aspects of the school. My kids were well-prepared for the rigors of the college application process, as well as for college itself. The school is large enough to provide a broad set of courses, yet still retain a family-style environment where pretty much everybody knows everybody else. St Francis does an excellent job at providing the Catholic element to these young adults. Extracurricular activities, both sports and non-sports, are great. I would strongly recommend St Francis to anyone who is seeking an excellent college prep school, with strong Christian values and a culture of community that lasts long after the diploma is on the wall.

Posted February 19, 2014

I have two daughters that are at St. Francis and we have had a great experience! They do a great job of transitioning the kids to High School and there is a true family feel that provides them a comfort and confidense to excell. They also do a good job of spending time with the kids and truly preparing them for college. We have loved our relationship with St. Francis and highly recommend it!

Posted February 19, 2014

SFHS is a fabulous academic institution that offers a complete educational experience for all students. What is a complete educational experience? I am talking about an experience that fosters challenges for young adults to realize their potential in academics, sports, music/arts, diversified extra curriculars and most importantly in growing through human interaction with faculty and peers supported by the presence of Christian values. Our honors and AP classes are of collegiate standards. The world needs the talent of our students to be emotionally, spiritually, and physiologically prepared to embrace the future with a humble confidence that is anchored in the solid virtue of helping others reach their potential, hence a "we" versus "me" attitude resonates strongly in the confines of SFHS and the SFHS community. There are few investments that will realize the potential yield that a family gains when investing in the SFHS experience. Hard work is expected, accountability is high but respect and support are everywhere. We are not for eveyone, but our doors are open to all. I urge everyone to consider SFHS. It is a blessing that keeps on giving. Peace and wellness to all.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • AdvancEd
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Joliet

• Drama
  • Poetry

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer time after school