Wheaton, IL
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Wheaton Montessori School serves ages 3-15 in authentic Montessori programs that are fully recognized by the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI). The school is designed to encourage and nurture children in the self-discovery of their world through activities carefully designed to meet their developmental needs at each stage. Our teachers, many of whom have been with us for over a decade, posses Masters Degrees as well as AMI Montessori certification and attend regular professional development training. We consider it our obligation to make sure each and every student is truly known and that individual needs, whether academic or social, are met. We are very proud of what we do and believe that our students and families are well served by our commitment to Montessori principles. We offer two parent/teacher conferences a year, four Parent Nights to learn about what we do, and we welcome parents to visit throughout the year and observe in the classrooms as often as they wish. Class sizes are consistent with AMI guidelines and designed for the optimal experience of the children. Our students love to come to school because this is a school designed for the way they learn naturally. Please call or stop by for a visit anytime.
June 28, 2014

Posted July 20, 2014
By far the best decision we have made as parents is sending our boys to Wheaton Montessori. They have attended since age 2.5 and will be entering 4th and 7th grades. As noted in other reviews the staff cares deeply about quality and continuous improvement. They invite feedback from parents and obtain expert feedback through regular review and certification from AMI. The staff is very attentive to the individual needs of our boys. They are are attuned to our boys' strengths and weaknesses and continually strategize with us on ways to develop their talents and address their struggles. We feel truly like part of the team. The parent community is outstanding. We trust them to reinforce the values and lessons that our children learn at school and we can depend on them for support when we are worried or frustrated about the normal struggles we all face. Perhaps most remarkable is the student community. They look out for each other. They attend to others who are upset or hurt. They communicate to correct behavior that is inappropriate. It is amazing to observe and makes us tremendously proud of the type of people they are becoming. In summary, we highly recommend Wheaton Montessori.

Posted July 20, 2014
It's hard to express through words how wonderful Wheaton Montessori School is. Their highly educated staff focuses on the development of the entire child, intellectual, social, and emotional. The staff, the children, and the community of wonderfully supportive parents are beyond amazing. My children have excelled at this school in every area. Everything that is great about my kids, including their high level of maturity and love of learning, I owe to the teachers at this school. They deserve all of the credit as highly trained, and loving Professionals. And, as a previous reviewer noted, the IOWA tests don't lie. My child scored a grade level equivalent 13 on the Science portion, as a 5th grader. I am so proud to call this school our home and wish all children could have the opportunity to attend Wheaton Montessori School.

Wheaton Montessori School 1

Posted June 22, 2014
Mass exodus at this school due to low academics and socialization issues. Class size very large and teachers overwhelmed. Beware of smoke and mirrors. Not recommended by many.

Posted June 05, 2014
I am thrilled with this school and also responding to the bizarre low rating. I am a state certified educator with more than a decade of teaching experience in local public and private schools, and have chosen WMS for my children. My children are excelling academically and socially. They have challenging work , a caring community in which to learn and some of the most talented and dedicated teachers I have ever met. This school is the best possible learning environment for children and it has exceeded my expectations. I am continually amazed at the work my children bring home. Thank you WMS and we are thrilled about the new junior high!!

Posted June 05, 2014
I have 2 kids at WMS; both started at age 2.5 at the primary level. By the time they finished kindergarten, they could add, subtract, multiply, and divide; read fluently; and write "research papers." Finishing 4th and 2nd grade now, they've built on those skills each year and continually impress me with their breadth of knowledge. Teachers and staff are attentive, caring, and always available to address questions/concerns. There are several parent ed. nights each year, 2 formal parent-teacher conferences (though teachers are happy to talk to parents at any time), and opportunities to observe in the classroom. At the end of the year, we get a 6-7 page report for each child, detailing what he learned that year, where his strengths lie, what topics would be helpful to reinforce at home, and how he's doing emotionally and socially in the classroom. Because the school follows the Montessori philosophy, there are no tests, per s . Teachers are constantly observing students and don't need tests to evaluate a child's progress. However, when my older son took the ITBS last year, he scored well above grade level in every area. Bottom line: I could not be more delighted with this school.

Posted June 02, 2014
I have children currently attending and who have graduated from Wheaton Montessori. I have been very pleased with the education they have received. WMS has given them a excellent foundation of acquired knowledge (that continues to surprise me) but also - and perhaps more importantly - the skills and curiosity to continue learning.

Posted June 02, 2014
Responding to the negative post that strikes me as nothing short of bizarre. My child graduated several years ago. Public school teachers have commented consistently very positively on his math and science aptitude. Daily work at this school is documented, parent observations are welcomed and encouraged, and conferences are comprehensive. At a recent school function almost all the school's graduates showed up, which is something remarkable in itself. They were obviously delighted to see each other and their teachers. By all reports doing well socially and academically. No mention of tutors. In my work I've interfaced with dozens of schools and have yet to meet a faculty whose commitment and competence approaches that of the staff at WMS.

Posted April 16, 2011
I have had 3 children go to Wheaton Montessori School and both my husband and I were very happy with the results. The children learn to be confident, independent, and focused. Because it is a follow the child learning style, it worked for each of my children. My gifted child was reading and doing math in the thousands at age 4. My daughter and other son are smart but not quite as advanced.

Posted November 07, 2008
The elementary program here is outstanding and the teacher is one of the best I have ever encountered. But the facts speak for themselves - my oldest daughter took the 3rd grade Iowa stanardized test and did not score lower than a 5th grader on any subject, in some areas she scored as high as a 9th grader! Great teachers, great environment, great results.

Wheaton Montessori School 0

Posted April 10, 2008
Wheaton Montessori School (WMS) provides an excellent learning environment. Both our daughters have benefitted from their experience at WMS.

Wheaton Montessori School
1970 North Gary Avenue, Wheaton, IL  60187
Last modified Wheaton Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-9
Wheaton Montessori School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top