PK-9|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Wheaton Montessori School serves ages 3-15 in authentic Montessori programs that are fully recognized by the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI). The school is designed to encourage and nurture children in the self-discovery of their world through activities carefully designed to meet their developmental needs at each stage. Our teachers, many of whom have been with us for over a decade, posses Masters Degrees as well as AMI Montessori certification and attend regular professional development training. We consider it our obligation to make sure each and every student is truly known and that individual needs, whether academic or social, are met. We are very proud of what we do and believe that our students and families are well served by our commitment to Montessori principles. We offer two parent/teacher conferences a year, four Parent Nights to learn about what we do, and we welcome parents to visit throughout the year and observe in the classrooms as often as they wish. Class sizes are consistent with AMI guidelines and designed for the optimal experience of the children. Our students love to come to school because this is a school designed for the way they learn naturally. Please call or stop by for a visit anytime.
June 28, 2014

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

We've been at WMS for more than three years and are thrilled with the education, faculty, and staff. Our children are thriving personally and academically. The school leadership understands child development and has worked to build a traditional Montessori environment that fosters that development. The teachers are exceptional and truly care about the well-being and growth of each student. The parent community is welcoming and a tremendous resource. We could not be happier with our school and look forward to watching both our children and the school community grow.

My son has grown in every way attending Wheaton Montessori. WM is authentic Montessori experience, where the whole child is involved in the learning process. Academics is only one slice of the whole pie. They teach executive functioning skills as the child learns how to set up his project, clean up after himself, tie his shoes, learn to stay on task as they complete a project all the way through with an incredible amount of focus. They develop fine motor skills through hands on activities, a very important part of the development process. Kids learn how respect one another in the AMI classroom, which so important and I feel is a lost art in conventional classrooms. And most important, they look forward to going to school every day.

We continue to be so happy at WMS. Sending our kids here was a life changing decision. Thank goodness we found this wonderful school!

By far the best decision we have made as parents is sending our boys to Wheaton Montessori. They have attended since age 2.5 and will be entering 4th and 7th grades. As noted in other reviews the staff cares deeply about quality and continuous improvement. They invite feedback from parents and obtain expert feedback through regular review and certification from AMI. The staff is very attentive to the individual needs of our boys. They are are attuned to our boys' strengths and weaknesses and continually strategize with us on ways to develop their talents and address their struggles. We feel truly like part of the team. The parent community is outstanding. We trust them to reinforce the values and lessons that our children learn at school and we can depend on them for support when we are worried or frustrated about the normal struggles we all face. Perhaps most remarkable is the student community. They look out for each other. They attend to others who are upset or hurt. They communicate to correct behavior that is inappropriate. It is amazing to observe and makes us tremendously proud of the type of people they are becoming. In summary, we highly recommend Wheaton Montessori.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted June 28, 2014

Mass exodus at this school due to low academics and socialization issues. Class size very large and teachers overwhelmed. Beware of smoke and mirrors. Not recommended by many.

I am thrilled with this school and also responding to the bizarre low rating. I am a state certified educator with more than a decade of teaching experience in local public and private schools, and have chosen WMS for my children. My children are excelling academically and socially. They have challenging work , a caring community in which to learn and some of the most talented and dedicated teachers I have ever met. This school is the best possible learning environment for children and it has exceeded my expectations. I am continually amazed at the work my children bring home. Thank you WMS and we are thrilled about the new junior high!!

I have 2 kids at WMS; both started at age 2.5 at the primary level. By the time they finished kindergarten, they could add, subtract, multiply, and divide; read fluently; and write "research papers." Finishing 4th and 2nd grade now, they've built on those skills each year and continually impress me with their breadth of knowledge. Teachers and staff are attentive, caring, and always available to address questions/concerns. There are several parent ed. nights each year, 2 formal parent-teacher conferences (though teachers are happy to talk to parents at any time), and opportunities to observe in the classroom. At the end of the year, we get a 6-7 page report for each child, detailing what he learned that year, where his strengths lie, what topics would be helpful to reinforce at home, and how he's doing emotionally and socially in the classroom. Because the school follows the Montessori philosophy, there are no tests, per s . Teachers are constantly observing students and don't need tests to evaluate a child's progress. However, when my older son took the ITBS last year, he scored well above grade level in every area. Bottom line: I could not be more delighted with this school.

I have children currently attending and who have graduated from Wheaton Montessori. I have been very pleased with the education they have received. WMS has given them a excellent foundation of acquired knowledge (that continues to surprise me) but also - and perhaps more importantly - the skills and curiosity to continue learning.

Responding to the negative post that strikes me as nothing short of bizarre. My child graduated several years ago. Public school teachers have commented consistently very positively on his math and science aptitude. Daily work at this school is documented, parent observations are welcomed and encouraged, and conferences are comprehensive. At a recent school function almost all the school's graduates showed up, which is something remarkable in itself. They were obviously delighted to see each other and their teachers. By all reports doing well socially and academically. No mention of tutors. In my work I've interfaced with dozens of schools and have yet to meet a faculty whose commitment and competence approaches that of the staff at WMS.

Last modified Wheaton Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-9