9-12|Private

Bad
Good

I just recently attended my reunion after 35 years! I have to say, I'm still impressed as were my former fellow classmates, the school is still going strong, the young ladies that attend are still confident and amazing! I found them to be polite, engaging, and so interested in all of the alumni and what we were all up to. Such great camaraderie between those still there and us who have left so long ago, with such great memories! What a great school, can't say enough about it, too bad I have boys! Go Regina!

I had two daughters attend Regina after my older two went to a large Catholic co-ed school. The difference was night and day. Instead of not making any teams or getting opportunities to try honors or AP classes at the big school, at Regina my daughters were able to get into any sport, and play every game, and get into every play, and go from non-singers to soloists. They were encouraged to try honors and then AP classes, and were supported by the engaged teachers so they succeeded. They ended up with great resumes and academic achievement because Regina has a culture of "pulling you in", so no one gets lost and everyone gets a shot. Because of this, they got into many top colleges that my other two children at the large school did not have the resume to compete for. The Regina girls qualified for and received college grants and cash awards, even without applying for financial aid, because of their service and activities records at Regina. The all-girls culture is also very fun and comfortable for the girls compared with co-ed. My girls learned great self-assurance which they will have for life, because the all-girls environment feels safe and lets girls speak up and try new things during those self-conscious teen years. The Regina girls support each other and are great friends to each other and with the teachers. The administration was overly picky about little things like socks and lockers, but the culture during and after school was much safer and less socially stressful than the big co-ed schools, so I figured the discipline was worth it. I'm really happy with how well they took care of my daughters, and they loved the school, so it was a win for us.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

There is variability among the teachers like anywhere, but overall they are highly degree'd, very committed to the success of the students, and very competent.

Amount of homework: Agree

There is more homework here than at the larger school my older children attended, but Regina also does a better job teaching and encouraging academic excellence. This is a serious college prep school, and the homework level is commensurate.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The Catholic culture and curriculum teach Catholic values. One of the key Dominican pillars instilled is justice, which includes those values.

We really like this school. Challenging, empowering and a great learning environment. Young ladies from all over tte Chicagoland area as well as other countries offers a nice mix of cultures.

[continued] The only negative aspect of Regina is the administration. Within the course of 2 years, the new administration has managed to demolish our sense of pride and tradition. They have put an end to countless traditions such as the spirit stick, having the senior class run around the gym during pep rallies, doing the blindfolded trust walk from 113 to the chapel before Kairos, and so on. At sport events, we are not allowed to wear face paint. Furthermore, they are changing rules/procedures unnecessarily and diminishing our individuality. We have to be in uniform for finals. Our lanyards with our IDs have to be black. We have to buy our locks for our lockers from the school(which by the way are all black). We can't wear headbands on mass days(which isn't even held in a real church). Also, they have taken away nearly all of our early dismissals. Freshman year, we had one every other week, similar to other schools. Now, we're lucky if we have one once every other month! I fear that the school will be shut down in a matter of years because no one wants to go to a school where their individuality is limited!

I'm a former student of regina dominican, and i attended freshman and sophmore year (only transferring out after my family was moved with my dad's job). The teachers are great, and the student body, extracurricular activies, and athletics provide a wonderful pool of amazing girls and potential friends. For the most part, the girls are friendly, and the teachers (with a few exceptions) care about your success and will put time aside for extra help. Now, there is a major con that subtracts away from all of this. The administration is stricter than necessary, and encourage harsh punishments for seemingly misdemeanor-like rules (ie. giving after school detention for wearing the wrong socks is a popular conviction), and many students, including myself, claim that the school seems to care more about the uniform, which used to have very loose rules before the new administration came in, than the actual academics. Additionally, the counselors at the school inflict higher levels of stress than needed on the students, which has lead to countless cases of diagnosed Depression and Anxiety, and mental disease among students as a result of these stressers have ridiculously high rates.

As the parent of a current student, I can't say enough about Regina! The combination of a new and innovative curriculum centered on global leadership and a dedicated staff are exactly what is needed in today's world. The girls are encouraged to lead and become young women of integrity, service and responsibility and to make their own decisions. The size of the school allows the girls to try new things they may never have thought of or had the opportunity to explore. If you want a high school where your daughter MATTERS and is not just a number, Regina is the right place.

Regina gives students a million different ways to have fun. There's never a shortage of things to do, no matter what you're into; there are about 57 sports and clubs, 2 plays a year, and a musical, school choir and orchestra. The teachers are great, and have a very chummy, yet still respectful relationship with students. Everyone there is very comfortable, and the all-girls environment makes everybody focused on their education.

Last modified Regina Dominican High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12