Baker Demonstration School
Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted May 25, 2015
Because it is a progressive learning school, there is a heavy emphasis on social justice for all and nurturing care for others. Service learning projects are undertaken across the grades.

Posted February 22, 2015
This is our second year at Baker and we have found it to be a stimulating and nurturing environment for our daughter. The progressive philosophy is evident when you enter the building. Walking through the hallways will give the visitor a peak into lively classrooms that are child focused (they have tables instead of desks) and filled with active learning. Community is very important at this school and children work cooperatively as they learn.

Posted February 20, 2015
Our children love Baker! Kindergarten for our older child at a public school did not inspire a love of learning. Baker's kindergarten has a friendly, loving, and stimulating environment focused on all areas of development. Baker s philosophy (experiential, integrated, developmentally appropriate) and freedom from state and federal mandates allow teachers to be creative and flexible in their teaching. Baker students get to be children: recess, choice time, and family time after school (minus hours of homework). Instead of tickets to motivate positive behavior, Baker students reflect on the type of community they want to create. Overall, our older daughter has been challenged in all academic areas through progressive learning and has found opportunities for leadership. As a young independent school, Baker has had bumps in the road. They are not yet equipped to support children with significant learning or behavior challenges. As with any school, there are inconsistencies in the teaching. We hope these issues improve in coming years. Meanwhile, we are grateful for a top-notch P.E. program, the arts, service-learning opportunities, and flexible before and after school care.

Baker Demonstration School 1

Posted February 03, 2015
I agree with other reviewers regarding the disorganization of the school. Our child was being relentlessly bullied and we worked tirelessly with teachers and administration to resolve the issues. The principal was disinterested at best, and we decided to leave Baker. It is also sad that there are reviewers in this forum who would bash the rights of other reviewers to speak honestly about their experience just because it doesn't resonate with their own. It's pretty unfair to call people liars or assume they didn't attempt to resolve the issues they were experiencing through the correct channels, because I know we did in our case, and all it lead to was frustration.

Baker Demonstration School 1

Posted January 26, 2015
This school will not inform you if it is suspected your child has learning disabilities or needs that cannot be met by the resources at Baker. I was told (by their reading specialist) that because they do not provide testing they are not allowed to recommend testing or they would be financially responsible. It seems awfully seedy and HIGHLY unethical to allow a child to fall through the cracks on the basis of unfounded fear.

Posted January 22, 2015
My daughter goes to Baker, and I can only say that I wish I had sent all of my children- why did I wait so long to find this wonderful school? She is well cared for, educated and known. The staff and students are so respectful of our family's differences and they celebrate it! She is so excited about what she is learning, and I could not be happier. No school, no job, no life is perfect everyday, but this school helps the children to embrace the struggle, and become lifelong learners. I would recommend this school to anyone!

Baker Demonstration School 4

Posted January 21, 2015
My children have attended schools in different places and for the FIRST time, they are thoroughly enjoying school every single day at Baker. Some schools do not suit the child or the child doesn't suit the school. I have seen many sides to this school. This is a school full of hugely passionate, hard working teachers and staff who go to work every day aiming to make it the best day for their students. At the heart of it, it is what the large majority of the school's population feel about their education and their day to day experience that counts. It is a wonderfully diverse, accepting population and the children love the act of learning because of the way they are taught to embrace it. One of my more hard to please children came home 2 days ago to show me how much he now loves math. He showed me equations, various ways to find the correct answer, and the activities done in class to simulate the mathematical situation. Brilliant! Schools won't always get it right. But from the heart, this is a school that cares for its people, and a staff that work hard to give it their very best. And I can see the proof of this through my children's development, confidence and happiness.

Posted January 21, 2015
Today, we can say that Baker is an excellent school, why? My son has a team of teachers very knowledgeable and great human beings. Our son is in 6 grade and he has been in Baker since he was in Prekindergarten. Our son is Latino, bi-cultural, bi-lingual and from an immigrant family. He was not fluent in English when he started at Baker, because he stayed at home with a Latina babysitter, and we spoke Spanish at home. While, these could be difficult for some private and public schools, for Baker it was a plus. We have been able to communicate with Baker's administration and teachers about our son learning educational goals as well as to advocated for the improvement of the Spanish program. Based on our family experiences in Baker, we can say, that if we have to choose school again, we will choose Baker.

Baker Demonstration School 2

Posted January 17, 2015
Be very careful before deciding to enroll your child here. I would give one star for the beautiful facilities and one star for their expensive but fun summer program. Otherwise I have little positive to say about my family's experience. I should have known there would be trouble when my child's teacher, during our orientation meeting, contradicted my own observations about my daughter (whom she had yet to meet) and dismissed concerns I raised about race (my child is African American). After struggling with this teacher for three months I was at my wits end, as was my daughter who would often sob at the end of the school day. I finally broached the idea of withdrawing my child and Baker s principal and director of education gave me no option but to keep her in her existing class, which was a social free for all with ineffectual instruction. I paid 95% of the year s tuition though my daughter only attended for 3.5 months. Baker's administrators revealed a callous disregard for my child's well-being and education. Parents would be better served choosing another school.

Posted December 17, 2014
Baker is an amazingly close school community. I have children in second and fourth grades and I would say that almost every adult in the building knows them by name. Not only do the faculty and administration make an extraordinary effort to know every child, but this sense of community is fostered among the students as well. It is fairly common that an eighth grade student will greet either one of my children by name and have a conversation with them. This feeling of closeness and the trust it creates between students and teachers and students and their peers has an immense impact on learning. My children are not afraid to take risks, they embrace their creativity and passions, they don't worry about trying new things and possibly failing, they are able to be self-advocates and to ask for help without fear that they might look dumb. This environment frees them to truly love learning and to challenge themselves without hesitation. This is why we believe that Baker provides and exceptional educational experience.

Baker Demonstration School
201 Sheridan Road, Wilmette, IL  60091
Last modified Baker Demonstration School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Baker Demonstration School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 92 reviews. Top