Holy Ghost School

Private | PK-8 | 195 students

Living in Wood Dale

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $130,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,070.

Sweep tile

Posted November 14, 2013

I graduated from here a few years ago. I was very well prepared academically, but I know other students from my graduating class that were not. I freshmen and sophomore year have taken all honors classes and passed all with flying colors. I felt almost teachers got me excited to learn, which is why I like school to this day. However, there were several cases of bullying that I am not proud of how they were handled. They sought for a immediate fix as apposed to a long term fix. If you didn't fit in you could fell very left out and sometimes had a hard social life. I do not know how the new principle handles these issues, but hopefully change will come.

Posted September 13, 2013

My son is thriving in the early childhood program. The older students are well behaved and considerate. The parents have nothing but good things to say when their students graduate from 8th grade.

Posted October 6, 2012

My grandchildren are thriving at Holy Ghost School because it's a small school with small class sizes resulting in a lot of one-on-one time with teachers. Because this school is small, it only takes one or two unhappy parents to try and tilt Holy Ghost's practical education and religious balance to the negative and it's my obligation to say otherwise. The school involves the parents and grand parents in all it's activities and I couldn't be happier with the knowledge that my grand kid's future looks bright resulting from their attendance. Plane

Posted October 6, 2012

As a grandparent of 2 children that attend Holy Ghost School, I have seen the advanced school work, the innovative projects, the connections of teachers to parents and the closeness that comes from small class sizes. I feel that Holy Ghost has been a great experience for my grand children and has opend their eyes to numerous opportunities that larger schools might not offer. The school brings all the families close together. It keeps the students and families active in the school and offers a religous background that carries through life. Great school!

Posted October 6, 2012

As a parent of 2 graduates, I look at how prepared they were for high school and how Holy Ghost did at teaching the Catholic Faith. My children have a deep belief in their faith that was foster by a principal and teacher's that lived their faith. Academically, I was told by the teacher's at Fenton they can always tell a Holy Ghost student by their excellent writing skills. Drawbacks - small class sizes, which if youf child does not fit in can make things unhappy for your child,. Although there are a number of activities, if they are not sport-minded they can also feel left out. Bullying does happen, and if your child doesn't fit in, they are sometimes not believed.

Posted October 6, 2012

My son recently graduated from this school, and when entering high school had to take entrance exams to place him in the appropriate classes. He placed in all honor classes, which I attitribute to Holy Ghost. Their small class room sizes, and teaching abilities at the school gave him a magnificient education. I still have a son at this school, who actually enjoys going to school. There are several activities for the kids to participate in, and even a wonderful after school program. The leadership, in my opinion - takes action immediately whenever a problem arises, and provides a solid action plan for any future problems.

Posted October 5, 2012

My children are both receiving a faith based, top-notch education at Holy Ghost. Holy Ghost is a wonderful community to be a part of. I have not witnessed any poor leadership and would highly recommend Holy Ghost School, and have. The school did loose 4 teachers last year due to retirement, relocation, etc., but they have been replaced them with wonderful, young, enthusiastic teachers. (A plus in my mind) It's a shame that people would go so far out of their way to tarish the reputation of such a wonderful place!

Posted October 5, 2012

I worked in public schools for 10 years before coming to Holy Ghost School. I left the public school system because teacher creativity was no longer appreciated. Teachers were not encouraged to raise the bar but to blend in with the rest of the crowd. I didn't feel as if I was able to provide the quality of education that my students needed. Parents were unable to be partners in their child's education as teachers were not supposed to give out too much information. At Holy Ghost School, I have been encouraged to teach through creative and innovative ways. I can teach auditory, visual and kinesthetic lessons as well as effectively differentiate activities to meet the needs of ALL learners. Parents are encouraged to be involved in their child's education.The staff collaborates well and is supportive of each other. I have found Holy Ghost School to be a great place to work. It is a warm and caring community!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 5, 2012

We chose Holy Ghost School Catholic education for our family because we wanted more for our children than just academics. The small class sizes were also considered in our decision. This means our children can receive personal attention if needed. We are grateful to be part of a school where the faculty and families have shown such love and kindness. We enjoy watching our children grow in their faith. Our kids have wonderful teachers that challenge behaviors in a loving, caring environment. The challenging curriculum provides a solid foundation for our children s future.

Posted August 20, 2012

My Godchild has witnessed the bullying that has gone on. It is a shame that the school tolerates this.

Posted June 13, 2012

not happy with this school.many families leaving due to poor leadership /all talk no action motto.four teachers also leaving.if u r looking to feel like ur part of a community ,this is not the place to go.

Posted June 5, 2012

I didn't do my research properly before sending my child here, because the plan was not to stay in the area. However, the plan with jobs changed, and we ended up staying in the area after all. My son started Kindergarten, and then when our other son was born, he eventually started preschool. I have been unhappy with the school, but thinking we would move, I hung in there. After several bullying episodes in older grades, and the way those situations were handled, I started to feel even more uneasy. While I have not had any direct issues with the principal, I do see how difficult she can be - particularly not very collaborative or concerned with problem-solving, tends to approach problems negatively with barriers vs with solutions. I don't like the "we can't" attitude, and much prefer the "what can we do" attitude. I don't understand how this school has 4 stars. There are 4 teachers leaving this year, which is half the grades. I'm nervous about who will be coming in, and what kind of impression the principal will have on the candidates for the job (1st, 4th, 5th, 6th grades).

Posted June 24, 2010

Absolutely wonderful school! The children are happy, the teachers are dedicated and caring and the school is extremely family oriented and welcoming. I adore the church. The priest is wonderful and kind. My kids are VERY happy there!

Posted July 22, 2009

My grandchildren look forward to going to school everyday. The administration and staff are welcoming and supportive. Great place to raise children in the faith.

Posted October 28, 2008

I've been very fortunate to be a member of Holy Ghost School. We have such wonderful students who work hard always remembering their Catholic Faith. We are so lucky to have some of the most advanced technology available to elementary students. Our creativity and academic skills are some of the best around. Just a great place to teach.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 9, 2008

The school was okay. I was pleased with the small classes, but I felt unprepared when I entered high school. I feel like as if there's a lack of understanding of the catholic religion, as when I graduated, I felt uneducated in the Catholic religion. Upon entering a public high school, I learned more about the history of Christianity and the teachings in one month then I did the entire 8 years i attended the school. I feel as if the tuition was unneeded, because the government supported schools prove to be suffice in teaching.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 11, 2008

My daughter has learned so much. She is self- motivated, likes to read now because of the encouraging reading programs in the classroom. The staff is supportive, they are my family and not judgemental. I love this school and highly recommend.

Posted March 15, 2008

My son has had a great year! I am happy with the curriculum that he brings home and the teacher/student connection that he has this year. I hope his future years are just as good!!

Posted November 6, 2007

Holy Ghost School offer a great catholic education and an excellent staff that cares about my child. My daughter is very happy attending Holy Ghost!

Two or more races 7% N/A
Asian 2% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 1% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Diana S Mendez
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Joliet

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

260 North Wood Dale Road